e.max , one bake and glaze

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Tayeb , I was born and raised in Greece so no English speaking country for me ! I read a lot of books in English and watch movies without subs . I also speak and write English almost every day , so I guess practice is the key.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Good for you Dimitres, you are at the same age of my older son" the dentist."

Last edited:
Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Here is another case . Metal ceramic bridge , layered with Ivoclar Inline . Combination of Cad Cam and handcraftmanship . Cad Cam for the metal framework , milled CrCo , and hand craftmanship for the layering . Best of both worlds !

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Is anyone else getting micro porosity with e.max ceram or is it just me ?

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
yes, I thinks it's a common problem. I increased the firing temps which seemed to help, i'm not using an ivoclar furnace though, so some adjustment in the firing cycle is to be expected.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent work Dimities, what shade was that bridge?, do you have some patients complaining about translucency on the incisal?, i do!, so i am careful with that. Many patients expect a Hollywood teeth one light shade.

Adamb4321,
Do you increase firing temp on all firing cycles to decrease surface porosity? Or just on stain and glaze cycle?.
I wonder if someone tried other ceramics on Emax, i.e., Noritake porcelain to see the deference.

Last edited:
A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Hi Tayeb,

It's the first firings that are critical, I'm firing e.max at 784'c for the first dentine firing on my Zubler. If you get porosity in the early stages it really is pretty much impossible fix in the later firings, often the small porosities only really show themselves after glazing. For cercon kiss I fire about 30'c over the recommended firings which seems like a lot but has improved the look of the ceramic immensely.

As for substituting e.max ceram for something else I think the firing temps of Noritake czr are too high, I've heard of the GC ceramic being used but haven't tried it myself, oh and don't let Mark Jackson hear that your even thinking of mixing and matching systems!

Even firing test tabs only gets you so far, I think probably due to the amount of ceramic being fired and also the position in the chamber and what the tab is on (plat foil, ceramic pillow, honeycomb etc) A better test would be to build a few units on metal/zr/emax or whatever entirely in Transparent and put them on whichever crown stands you usually use and then see how homogenous the ceramic looks.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Tayeb,

It's the first firings that are critical, I'm firing e.max at 784'c for the first dentine firing on my Zubler. If you get porosity in the early stages it really is pretty much impossible fix in the later firings, often the small porosities only really show themselves after glazing. For cercon kiss I fire about 30'c over the recommended firings which seems like a lot but has improved the look of the ceramic immensely.

As for substituting e.max ceram for something else I think the firing temps of Noritake czr are too high, I've heard of the GC ceramic being used but haven't tried it myself, oh and don't let Mark Jackson hear that your even thinking of mixing and matching systems!

Even firing test tabs only gets you so far, I think probably due to the amount of ceramic being fired and also the position in the chamber and what the tab is on (plat foil, ceramic pillow, honeycomb etc) A better test would be to build a few units on metal/zr/emax or whatever entirely in Transparent and put them on whichever crown stands you usually use and then see how homogenous the ceramic looks.

Thanks adamb1234,
I agree the Noritake czr firing temp. Is a lot higher.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I used to get that porosity with emax as well, especially with veneers. I bumped up the temp a tad on my ep5000 and also made sure I had the veneers raised on pegs or double stack the firing trays, both worked for me. Would love to see pictures of your layering process.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Noritake is a high fusing porcelain , so if you put it on top of e.max core , the core will melt .

Thanks for the nice words Tayeb . Fortunately , the chalk like color trend hasn't reach Greece , or at least my clients . The shade for this bridge was A2/A3 . I have no complaints over incisal translucensy , I try to make things like real teeth . I am not using too much of the effects powders when I am doing 4-6 anteriors , simply because natural teeth rarely have too intense incisals . I am trying to give some depth , and add some characteristics that are pleasant to the eye .

M

martintay

Reaction score
Very nice Dimitris , and yes emax micro-porosity is a headache I`m trying to completely eliminate !!

CRWNMKR

CRWNMKR

Reaction score
Dimitris, What ingot would you use when doing a single central, the stumph is almost nd9 and the final shade is a 1m1 , facial thickness on the wax up is 1- 1.4mm.?? THank you

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I used to get that porosity with emax as well, especially with veneers. I bumped up the temp a tad on my ep5000 and also made sure I had the veneers raised on pegs or double stack the firing trays, both worked for me. Would love to see pictures of your layering process.
Hey desertfox ,

I have palyed with temperature , but the problem remains when I layer e.max ceram on zirconium . I have no problem with e.max core .

I am working on the layering process photos , hope to make a nice presentation !

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Dimitris, What ingot would you use when doing a single central, the stumph is almost nd9 and the final shade is a 1m1 , facial thickness on the wax up is 1- 1.4mm.?? THank you
Honestly , I don't think I would do that with e.max . I always struggle with value with e.max when I have to match a single central . Also ND9 ? And 1M1 ? This is a nightmare!!!
I would do that with metal! I wouldn't worry about masking the dark stump shade , and focus on layering .

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hey everyone , this is a nice case I did recently, e.max ceram layered on zirconia framework , very difficult preps to work with , perio patient , not completely happy with the black triangles but she had them with the previous restorations she had , she wanted them with the new . The patient was thrilled but never came back at the lab for photos , story of my life :-(

Edy

Edy

Reaction score
Lovely works mate , just splendid photos . . .