e.max maryland bridge?

J

jhag47

Reaction score
I received this requesting an Emax Maryland bridge.

Is this a good idea?
166ffef663c42918f5b2a7bd919953da.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
Ive done one lower anterior job. Similar to this. I warned the dentist and he told me to build it out with thick wings. The patient is aware.
That was 6 months ago and i saw it last week as i altered his full upper denture.
Depends on the room you have to play with. My eyes are telling me no, or at least warn the dentist it will have zero warranty.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The Canadian knows how to replace anteriors. Lotta fists, beer cans and hockey pucks flying around up there.
Plus the flying cod fish....

Last edited:
Juko

Juko

Reaction score
Emax works very well for Maryland bridges. I have had two in my mouth for ten years now. Definetly need a better prep though.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
Like bumfrey, I have done a couple on loweer anteriors. both with the same client both times I said they are contraindicated, blah blah blah. Still in the mouth as far as I know. this is a couple of years ago now.

I like the design RKM showed. I cannot see that breaking . But are 2 wings better than 1 ??

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have never had any failures.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
I have one in my mouth on the lower insicor. Single wing on each side. It's been about 10 years I think. Only this last year, one wing has separated. I remember making it and the joins were kind of thin and I was thinking to thicken it up. It's still functional and flossing is a lot easier now with a single sided cantelivered Maryland.

R

Radi Huang

Reaction score
The emax is not so strong. why do not change it into Zirconia?

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
The emax is not so strong. why do not change it into Zirconia?

Exam flexes with the teeth without debonding during mastication. When I had metal Maryland bridges I was going back to dentist to get recemented frequently. Ten years in with emax bridges and not one time have they popped off. I am terrible about chewing my nails which is problematic with Both laterals congenitally missing. Zirconia may be hard but it offers no give like emax.

Emax can be bonded to teeth, zirconia can not. Same problematic popping off will occur with zirconia as with metal.
Yes I realize zircon is actually a metal, so is lithium.

I’ve never understood what people are eating that they need something harder than their natural dentition.

My argument is only for pressed emax, not milled as the molecular structure differs between the two.

As for the one wing versus two wing discussion. My opinion is if the preps are liberal go with two wings. If the peeps are conservative go with one wing. Why? The more material thickness there is will allow for the material to flex without fracturing while both sides are bonded.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I received this requesting an Emax Maryland bridge.

Is this a good idea?
166ffef663c42918f5b2a7bd919953da.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
single wing would have been a better idea. natural teeth are mobile and with little to no contact between 8/9 and 11/12 theres bound to be movement at some point. even if just during mastication. first thing to give will be the cement....or the wing itself
additionally, looks like some significant incisal edge wear and down along the ligual marginal ridges. careful since thats where youre putting the wing!

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
This will work if the dr could round the interproximal line angle. No sharp edges.
I agree on this.

What I have done, a couple times now, is one winged e.max "Maryland" restorations. Not an option for the OP, anymore, but flying a lateral incisor from a central, especially on the lower arch and with enough wing 'thickness', has worked well in the past.

hagdent

hagdent

Reaction score
I recommended a re-prep, but the doctor said it would be fine as is, since he was replacing an old one because the gingiva had receeded under the pontic.

Thanks for all the advice, I learned a ton.