e.max CAD

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi guys ,

Is anyone milling e.max in house ? I will start milling the stuff and could use any tips you have to offer . Honestly I am a bit concerned because everybody is saying it is so difficult to mill , but I will try it . Thanks guys .

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Stick with pressing, it's strong and have better results. We tried it a year ago with or Origin and it blew.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
^^^^^^Agreed^^^^^^

Design it in CAD then mill it in wax and press, Strong and you could be cutting something else in your machine worth while. I never really understood what the hell this BIG DEAL is or was about milling e.Max cad. Leave that to the inlab users.

Just my opinion.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I know and agree with you both . I am just trying to get the most out of my milling machine . So far , the only material that I haven't milled is e.max . I just want to know if it can be done ! Also , if I have one unit only to press , it will be faster and less labor to mill it than to press it . And the cost is the same for just one unit . I usually press 4-5 units at the same ring . But when I have only one to press , if the milled stuff is good , I will just mill it and save myself some time . Thanks for your replys guys , I will post some pics after I mill the first one , either it is good or bad .

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Over build your margins and feather them down in the blue phase. The cad blocks really chip out at the margins if they are thin. I use a blue rubber wheel made by Komet for Zr and keep the rpms low to keep the heat down. Everything else I've used besides Dialite med grit chips the margins or cracks really thin areas. For single units its way faster than pressing.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Γ
Over build your margins and feather them down in the blue phase. The cad blocks really chip out at the margins if they are thin. I use a blue rubber wheel made by Komet for Zr and keep the rpms low to keep the heat down. Everything else I've used besides Dialite med grit chips the margins or cracks really thin areas. For single units its way faster than pressing.

That was what I had in mind . I have a Nti set of diamonds, rubber wheels etc and I will try them first . Thanks for the info !

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Hey Drizzt. I have tried superfine diamonds, diamondalls, etc. They chip the margins. Komet # 94013C HP 170 or equivalent works great.

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
The big hurdle is the block cost. My results are that all print designs can be mill on a high quality mill with the right strategy. It is just an economy problem. Ivoclar doesn't have a good partner strategy IMO they charge high volume labs equal price to the cerec docs. In my lab pressing is 30% of milling material cost. I can mill it all equally as well as press it it just cost too much.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
I've had them milled for me, have to say the results are mediocre at best, maybe if you have an absolutely perfect prep it will make a difference but for me I'll stick to pressing

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I've had them milled for me, have to say the results are mediocre at best, maybe if you have an absolutely perfect prep it will make a difference but for me I'll stick to pressing

I prefer pressing also , but it would be nice to know that I can mill them with my machine . For a rush case or a single unit it will be very helpful .

Tero

Tero

Reaction score
Hi Drizzst.

What cam and what milling machine you are using?
What size of tools you think is needed?
I have seen that 0,5 mm tool will give very nice oclusal shapes and details to crowns...

Tero

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Hi Tero ,

I have a Yenadent D 40 custom made and using mayka Cam . I have 2 mm , 1 mm and a smaller I think for occlusal .

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
We are getting very nice results milling e.max. It can be done effectively. You need to use diamond tools. We have not optimized our strategies as we are only milling a couple per day. Rush cases, in house remakes only. Optimizing the mill time is on the to do list. But, right now it's not the priority. So our mill cycle is running about 30 minutes. Im heading out of the country today. I'll try to get more info and pass it on.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
We are getting very nice results milling e.max. It can be done effectively. You need to use diamond tools. We have not optimized our strategies as we are only milling a couple per day. Rush cases, in house remakes only. Optimizing the mill time is on the to do list. But, right now it's not the priority. So our mill cycle is running about 30 minutes. Im heading out of the country today. I'll try to get more info and pass it on.

Thanks Bob , I will post my findings . I am headind to the lab right now to start milling as I received yesterday the blocks . Is it harder to mill than metal ? I have great results with metal milling and also great speed , average 20 minutes per crown .

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Yes,
Thursday we milled a 12 unit CrCo case. Fit was awesome.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
3-4 weeks ago I milled a 16 unit case out of CrCo , in 5 hours and 12 minutes . Fit was awesome and the whole process from design to opaque was less than a working day . I have posted pictures at the '' Restorations Du Jour '' thread . I can't imagine myself casting those kind of cases anymore . It also costs me the same as casting so there is no point at all doing it . I will have to wait till Monday for e.max because something is missing from my CAM software .

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

Bobs logging the frequent flier miles this month for sure!, have a good/safe trip.

A

acones

Reaction score
Are the chipping margins that people are experiencing with the MCXL a product of the blocks?