DWX-50 Vacuum Hose

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi all,
It appears as if the internal vaccuum hose has got shorter to the point that it no longer reaches the outlet at the rear of the main clamp area. I have tried to see if something is causing it to jam inside, but can't see a reason for it to jam.
Would this just be a natural perishing of the vacuum hose to the point of it actually shrinking in length?
Is this something that I can easily change myself ?(after purchasing a replacement)
Any help from owners would be appreciated...
Thanks

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
Ours did the same, I used a few adapters we had in a box from old dust collectors to lengthen the hose, as this made it heavier I than used a very large cable tie to secure the hose to the work-piece. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works. If you have a creative problem solver in your lab, perhaps they can come up with a similar solution. I'm not sure Roland sells the hose, but the fact that you would have to remove the cover of the mill just to access it, means it is not the easiest part to replace.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Thanks for the info on your solution Daveld. 😀
Unfortunately I pulled the hose a bit too hard trying to free it up and split it about half way down the length😒.....I will see what i can rig up. I may have to replace it entirely.
Any idea what causes it to begin with ?
Perhaps it's just the constant warm air shrinking the plastic hose over time?
Thanks D

Last edited:
D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
I would have to wager you are correct about the heat causing shrinkage over time. I don't have a better explanation.
If you need to remove the covers, contact your distributor about the service manual, there are very detailed instructions on how to access any part of this machine. I, personally, have adjusted the tension on the x/y wires (underneath the machine),replaced the Z axis motor & gears & tension wire, along with several smaller repair jobs. I do have experience working on large machines, so these weren't terribly difficult to accomplish, but your mileage may vary.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
I would have to wager you are correct about the heat causing shrinkage over time. I don't have a better explanation.
If you need to remove the covers, contact your distributor about the service manual, there are very detailed instructions on how to access any part of this machine. I, personally, have adjusted the tension on the x/y wires (underneath the machine),replaced the Z axis motor & gears & tension wire, along with several smaller repair jobs. I do have experience working on large machines, so these weren't terribly difficult to accomplish, but your mileage may vary.
I have ordered a new hose and adaptors and my roland tech is on standby. I will assist him because i think the mill has to be turned upside down to access hose.
Cheers D

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck. I have found the DWX-50 a little difficult to work inside of, but that being said - I have had success with every repair I have done.

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
Any updates on this? Did you get it installed?

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
All fixed guys.
Ordered a new hose and replaced by my local Roland tech. Original hose had definitely perished. Lost flexibility and had shrunk.
😁
Old age perhaps 😉

D

DaveId

Solutions
Reaction score
All fixed guys.
Ordered a new hose and replaced by my local Roland tech. Original hose had definitely perished. Lost flexibility and had shrunk.
😁
Old age perhaps 😉
So you decided to let the Roland tech do the job, that was probably for the best. Glad you got it worked out. Ours is holding steady with my extension that I did.

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
So you decided to let the Roland tech do the job, that was probably for the best. Glad you got it worked out. Ours is holding steady with my extension that I did.
I did Daveld. Having to turn the mill on on angles to replace hose, seemed like to much of a risk for me. My track record with breaking the seemingly unbreakable, is unfortunately quite good.🤣

Top Bottom