DVA's new wax pen

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has used the wax pen DVA just came out with? Would love to get your impression as I'm on the fence....it seems like it would be a huge time saver for $199. But I have several "gadgets" sitting in my drawer that sounded/looked cool at the time. My biggest holdback is it doesn't look that well built and I'm thinking the cork would get old and crack after multiple heat cycles.
If you have one, what do you like/dislike? How long does it take the wax inside to flow when refilling?

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
btw, here is the link to it. And I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
You have to use their wax, I believe.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has used the wax pen DVA just came out with? Would love to get your impression as I'm on the fence....it seems like it would be a huge time saver for $199. But I have several "gadgets" sitting in my drawer that sounded/looked cool at the time. My biggest holdback is it doesn't look that well built and I'm thinking the cork would get old and crack after multiple heat cycles.
If you have one, what do you like/dislike? How long does it take the wax inside to flow when refilling?
@sidesh0wb0b You still using that thing? Ever get the hang of it?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
@sidesh0wb0b You still using that thing? Ever get the hang of it?
we do use it regularly. but not in the way they advertise for it.
we havent yet tried the preformed wax refills they make for it. that may help some, so we will try them eventually.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
we do use it regularly. but not in the way they advertise for it.
we havent yet tried the preformed wax refills they make for it. that may help some, so we will try them eventually.
How are you using it then out of curiousity?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
How are you using it then out of curiousity?
so far, we have found that controlling the temp (at least for the baseplate wax we have been using) has been a challenge....which is why i want to try the refills they have now.
its a fast method for sealing down dentures prior to injection though! super fast actually. as well as for attaching sprues. ;)

I

Inna-Hurry

Reaction score
My wax pen is a looong glass eyedropper into my waxpot.

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
My wax pen is a looong glass eyedropper into my waxpot.
That would definitely be cheaper than 199 lol . I've tried a cattle syringe but just couldn't keep the wax molten enough

A

Acrylicwookie

Reaction score
so far, we have found that controlling the temp (at least for the baseplate wax we have been using) has been a challenge....which is why i want to try the refills they have now.
its a fast method for sealing down dentures prior to injection though! super fast actually. as well as for attaching sprues. ;)
Just curious what kind of wax you are using? I use Hygienic extra tough pink and absolutely love it so I'm definitely not changing wax for a wax pen lol. Can you elaborate what you mean by controlling the temp?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Just curious what kind of wax you are using? I use Hygienic extra tough pink and absolutely love it so I'm definitely not changing wax for a wax pen lol. Can you elaborate what you mean by controlling the temp?
we are using a couple different baseplate waxes. and we tried a handful of other waxes. but that wax pen has just an analog dial for heating temps. tends to either be too hot, and slop all over....or too cold, and cause too much extra work. at least, with what we are using as i mentioned. maybe a properly designed wax for the pen would have better flowability characteristics at certain temps that would allow for better waxing methods whilst using it.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Looks like a waste of money to me...

Top Bottom