Duplication distortion

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have issue that maybe often happens in most removable lab
The problem is distortion in duplication model
When we do removable like acrylic denture or thermoplastic denture, we need to duplicate the master working model with alginate or pvs, and then use the duplicated model for processing the denture, but sometimes the results going wrong. The denture sometimes really cannot fit to the master model that we duplicated before.

So im thinking for solving this problem by using 3d printer, so i scan the master model and i print it using phrozen TR 250LV high thermal resin. And then use the 3d model for processing the denture (boling out the wax and then packing/injecting the acrylic/thermoplastic)

What do you guys think ?

I attach the resin physical properties

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220427-183852_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220427-183852_Samsung Internet.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 5
  • SmartSelect_20220427-184137_Samsung Internet.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220427-184137_Samsung Internet.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 5
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
process on the master, seat on duplicate for verification.
i would advise against processing on the 3d model but thats just me

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Your printed model won't hold up or even melt at thermoplastic injection temps. Use a putty to duplicate or invest in a duplication machine then you don't have problems.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Your printed model won't hold up or even melt at thermoplastic injection temps. Use a putty to duplicate or invest in a duplication machine then you don't have problems.
I use putty too but sometimes a huge distortion might exist, what do you mean by duplication machine ? Agar machine ?

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
process on the master, seat on duplicate for verification.
i would advise against processing on the 3d model but thats just me
Hmm okay thanks for the advice, so my customer will get the denture on 3d printed model.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
Yes i am afraid of the thermoplastic temperature.. if heat cure acrylic i think it will be fine..

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
I duplicate my masters using hydrocolloid (reversible agar, others names). Personally I process on duplicate and finish to master.

A

Aditia KT

Reaction score
I duplicate my masters using hydrocolloid (reversible agar, others names). Personally I process on duplicate and finish to master.
But as i know, duplicating with agar can only special phosphate-bonded investment for partial frame denture, i tried using gypsum type 3 and 4, they cannot set...

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Does your resin bond to the 3d printed model? If yes, that would be awful. If no, are their undercuts? Will the model break or the denture break first?

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I have issue that maybe often happens in most removable lab
The problem is distortion in duplication model
When we do removable like acrylic denture or thermoplastic denture, we need to duplicate the master working model with alginate or pvs, and then use the duplicated model for processing the denture, but sometimes the results going wrong. The denture sometimes really cannot fit to the master model that we duplicated before.

So im thinking for solving this problem by using 3d printer, so i scan the master model and i print it using phrozen TR 250LV high thermal resin. And then use the 3d model for processing the denture (boling out the wax and then packing/injecting the acrylic/thermoplastic)

What do you guys think ?

I attach the resin physical properties
You always use the master and never the dup. Use hydrocolloid to duplicate only. It is a much more accurate and cheaper the both.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
You always use the master and never the dup. Use hydrocolloid to duplicate only. It is a much more accurate and cheaper the both.
We use hydrocolloid to duplicate as well, but we process on the duplicate and seat the partial on the master. If need be, we can say to the Dr. " It fits your master model"

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
But as i know, duplicating with agar can only special phosphate-bonded investment for partial frame denture, i tried using gypsum type 3 and 4, they cannot set...
There are multi purpose hydrocolloids out there. I use wiro gel M. Duplicated thousands of models w it.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
There are multi purpose hydrocolloids out there. I use wiro gel M. Duplicated thousands of models w it.
Also, I assume you understand there’s often quite a bit of acrylic finishing that has to happen before it will fit the model. Duplicate or master.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Here we go
Maybe what’s the deal is here is model duplication quality. My appliances fit perfectly to my master models after finish. Sooo. I guess that means the dup model was accurate af? Let’s say we do it your way. And for some reason the partial doesn’t want to fit the duplicate during finishing. Now what? We have no master model, no way to chase down the problem. We’re gonna have to settle this once and for all. Lol.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Also I’ll add, sometimes with too many opposing tissue undercuts you’ll never get it to fit a stone model.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
That's what we use as well. Very accurate duplicate models.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
I survey and blot out undercuts in wax then duplicate in silicon. I use this model for clasps, setups and processing. Then fit to master. If you want ed to you could even send the master out for tryins . This way I always have the original , and with silicon , keep the mould till the case goes out , so if any absolute disaster you at least have a way to repour a model .
For chromes , I just take the acrylic spacer off the surveyed model , then duplicate thisfor processing. This also eliminated the undercuts from my processing model andthey snap right on the master when finished

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
No matter how long i let models soak in water i get small bubbles when i use hydrocolloid.
All i can imagine is that Maybe its too hot when i pour. An alginate impression is not as acurate to the master as id like. Hydro is the closest.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
No matter how long i let models soak in water i get small bubbles when i use hydrocolloid.
All i can imagine is that Maybe its too hot when i pour. An alginate impression is not as acurate to the master as id like. Hydro is the closest.
Do you blow off all the excess water prior to duplicating? It's really important for reducing blibs of stone and bubbles on duplicate models.