Drum Roll, Please!

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Just got the news that I have passed my final exams, and now have this title to follow my name......

Master CDT

Still feel like an apprentice at times even with 33 years under my belt. WooooHoooo!

Inn0xx

Inn0xx

Reaction score
Just got the news that I have passed my final exams, and now have this title to follow my name......

Master CDT

Still feel like an apprentice at times even with 33 years under my belt. WooooHoooo!

Congratulations. I hope it comes with a pay raise [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Well done John. Where do you apply for Master CDT in Canada?
I thought we had RDT designation.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Well done John. Where do you apply for Master CDT in Canada?
I thought we had RDT designation.

Each province (except Manitoba) has the RDT designation. We used to have a dental technician association, but it went by the wayside over 10 years ago. Anyhow, you apply for CDT first thru the Nation Board for Certification in Dental Technology out of Florida. Once you have a minimum of 5 of the 6 specialties (Crown and Bridge, Ceramics, Partial Denture, Complete Dentures, Ortho, Implants) then you get the Master CDT designation. I can use the RDT as I was issued a certificate when I immigrated here. But whats the use?

No, there will be no pay raise with this either. I am a one man full service lab. The designation has been on my bucket list to get done for a few years now. So I did it for me, because I can!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Each province (except Manitoba) has the RDT designation. We used to have a dental technician association, but it went by the wayside over 10 years ago. Anyhow, you apply for CDT first thru the Nation Board for Certification in Dental Technology out of Florida. Once you have a minimum of 5 of the 6 specialties (Crown and Bridge, Ceramics, Partial Denture, Complete Dentures, Ortho, Implants) then you get the Master CDT designation. I can use the RDT as I was issued a certificate when I immigrated here. But whats the use?

No, there will be no pay raise with this either. I am a one man full service lab. The designation has been on my bucket list to get done for a few years now. So I did it for me, because I can!
Cool,

I didn't know it was through Florida.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
Cool,

I didn't know it was through Florida.

To be clear, it is not thru Florida. The NBC head office is in Florida. They manage the program from there. Its a little different in the States than here. Unfortunately, each province has their own governing body. In my opinion, this is silly redundant, and a waste of resources, mainly money. If their was one governing body, as there is in the States, then there would be standardized tests and requirements. There are dental lab associations in most if not all states. Plus, in the States, my CDT is good in any state, period. Here in Canada, if one moves from their province to another, there will be a testing process, hoops to jump thru before you could legally open a lab-if the requirement is that you must an RDT to own a lab. Sadly, in Manitoba there is no requirement to be anything to own and operate a dental lab.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
In Ontario ,you dont have to be an rdt or dentist to own a lab but you need one to operate a lab .
That's why we are seeing franchise up here. So an rdt is equivalent to a master cdt?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Master CDT

Well done good sir! Very awesome.

John in Canada

John in Canada

Reaction score
In Ontario ,you dont have to be an rdt or dentist to own a lab but you need one to operate a lab .
That's why we are seeing franchise up here. So an rdt is equivalent to a master cdt?

In the States, there are 6 specialties as I listed earlier. Alberta has 4 that I know of. To achieve Master status, one must have at least 5 of the 6 specialties. Depending on the guidelines in your province, you may only need one specialty? I know in Alberta, 1-3 specialties gets you DT. 4 specialties gets you RDT. So, I would say that in at least most instances, and RDT and a Master CDT are equivalent.
Your RDT is transportable to another province now, I found out an hour ago. It didn't used to be that way a decade ago. Thanks to the transportability act that was established. With the exception of BC, as I understand they are a little behind, but should be on board with the act soon. Manitoba and Saskatchewan are outside of the act, as they have no established college of dental technicians.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think my rdt is good in BCAlta,and On. Our associations have work with our colleges to establish the guidelines .
I was tested in ortho,dentures,c&b,written and oral testing as well.That was 31 years ago.
I like the idea of all my American dln friends calling me master though.
Hail to the King baby!