Drufomat vs Biostar

L

Libertyortho

Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to use or see a Drufomat thermoforming machine. I know a lot of you have and love the biostar just trying to cover all my options before I decide.

Thanks Liberty

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
No I have not, I sold my Biostar a few months back, none of my drs. liked it. Do you have drs. that request bioform like retainers?

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to use or see a Drufomat thermoforming machine. I know a lot of you have and love the biostar just trying to cover all my options before I decide.

Thanks Liberty

Liberty:

I have 2 Biostars and love them..very reliable.. but the Durfomat looks great and has an advantage...it drops the heated material straight down, the Biostar flips the material over. Where this would come into play is when you are fabricating a mouth guard with a logo like a Proform or ESSIX. It would be much easier to line it up with a Durfomat IMHO.

Regards,
Don

S

sportingsmiles

Reaction score
Drufomat

We have there drufomat scan. The machine is awesome. We had the erkopress from glidewell first that this machine is 100 times better. Just scan the material and go. The erkopress worked fine for retainers and night guard, but didn't work well for mouthguards. The drufomat makes great mouthguards. Were in the market to purchase another one.

R

rosarioortholab

Reaction score
Isaw both the druformat and the biostar at the aao in D.C. the druformat is much better for laminating mouthguards and placing custom decals. You can also purchase with it the "FUNKY TOOL" (see raintree essix website for video) It allows you to create custom designs.Very nice. I have a biostar now and it works pretty good. I need a second unit so I am goning to buy the druformat.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
I bought a biostar to do TAP3s. I'm no longer doing Tap3s so I'd be interested in selling it. It's too new to sell cheap and not old enough to just give away and there are 'special cases where it does a better job than The Machine so I'll probably just hang onto it and use it as back up and for the special cases... unless I get a great offer.

L

leetech

Reaction score
i have a drufomat and its fantastic !! the first one i had was 25 years old, only got a new model as it was ex demo half price !! very well made

regards lee

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
That's funny I just watched the video online (Essix website) where you can use it as your pressure pot too! Might be great investment for small labs, two prices of equipment in one unit

L

leetech

Reaction score
yes , you can even use it as a presssure clamp to close denture flasks, by controling the pressure.

K

KevinDaniel

Reaction score
Biostar

In my honest opinion the Biostar is the way to go. I have used both the Biostar and the Drufomat, and if you are looking for a machine that is a complete work horse, low maintenance, able to get technical and customer service support, the Biostar is the way to go. With the Drufomat, there is no technical support. I was promised things that did not get delivered such as troubleshooting. Drufomat must have people that work on commission, because they will tell you things and not deliver on their promises. The rep says they can come out and help you, but 5 months have gone by and guess what, I am still waiting. Try to call someone for technical support at GAC Raintree, LOL, now that is a joke. I warn anyone that is looking for a machine to really ask questions, and become educated when making this purchase. In regard to the funky tool, yes nice concept, but if you were to cut the material after you form a sheet, there is air pockets and also the material varies in thickness. A 3mm sheet should be a 3mm sheet not 2.8, 3.4, 2.5, air space, 2.8,air space, 3.5. So although a good concept, major MAJOR flaw. Now in regard to the Biostar, never had an issue, and when I needed a question answered, it was answered immediately from the company that sells the Biostar. When you have questions it is nice to deal with a company that ACTUALLY has a Laboratory, and makes appliances for a living instead of just dealing with a company that sells things in hopes to make a nice commission. Not only that, the material is less expensive using the Biostar Material instead of the Drufomat material. For those who do not know how to make mthgrds using the Biostar, you should contact the company that sells it, they have the technical support and answer questions immediately. Once again 5 months now, several phone calls later, still no answer to my Drufomat questions. I use my Biostar for all types of appliances, mostly ortho, but my partner who is a General Dentist uses the machine as well. He also shares my frustration with the Drufomat. The Biostar also comes with instructional DVD's, a free materials kit, free material, and the Technical Support to answer any questions. Let's face it you will have some. I guess that is why you see "ONLY" the Biostar in Universities. I used one that was pretty old in dental school, but that just shows you the work horse this machine is. Considering everything, the Biostar is the way to go. You will not be disappointed, unless you want to be then go ahead and get the Drufomat, LOL. Sorry, but it's true.

seoche

seoche

Reaction score
For your comparison..

Drufomat Pressure Machine

•• Operating pressure of up to 6 bars and vertically forming design - insuring consistent thermoforming results
•• Closing pressure higher than forming pressure, i.e. you can work with high pressure (up to 6 bars) without opening the form to insure precision
•• Good visual control when heating material
•• Safe operation; piston turns down automatically, with two-hand-control
•• No “back pressure” when pressure is released by valve
•• Requires a connection to compressed air and uses 120mm circle material

Over the past 30 years, the name Biostar® has become synonymous with positive pressure thermal forming.The combination of positive pressure (65 psi),and forming the heated side of the material over the model, gives flawless adaptation.

O

Ortho Solutions

Reaction score
Drufomat

The Drufomat is the way to go....we had a sales rep explain the differences after seeing the Biostar at a local lab show.

You won't have one regret after purchasing our Drufomat. It works really fast, consistency with every thermoform.

Essix has sales reps all over, so when you have problems, they can stop by, they also posted videos on their website to help with how to use the machine.

The one on one training is the best, Great Lakes doesn't have anyone that can come to your office, that is a deal breaker.

This website also came up when we did our research...

Dental Assisting Divas: Our New Toy

~Patrick

Smilewire

Smilewire

Reaction score
Dealing with Densply is a pain in the a**. They do not return emails or phone calls, there shipping department is a travesty. Doesnt matter how good there machine is I've signed them off

Great lakes has always been responsive and easy to deal with and as a solo lab I have zero time to deal with the "above" company

AleTheDoc

AleTheDoc

Reaction score
Erkodent is a very good alternative.
I use erkodent 3D and a probably a 30-50 year old biostar, the first biostar, (now just use with C+ essix, not too much, but still works!)..... Never, never, had a problem.

Today i will bet for Erkodent and Dreve.

J

Jorge

Reaction score
We are a lab and use a Biostar VI and an Erkodent 300, both at nearly 6 bar.

With Biostar you scan bar code, must "flip" and control is by time (at 220 Celsius),it is very fast (125mm diameter).

With Ekopress you select material and thickness on touch screen.
Do not flip and there is a temperature sensor, they say more precise than time heating but it is slower than Biostar (120mm diameter).

First machine was Biostar, second machine (backup) was Erkodent because of online information, downloaded user guide, videos, materials range, etc.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We are considering getting into the modern age of vacuforming, This thread is several years old anything new out there today ?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I like my biostar. Give you a lot of options. I do wish I had the option like the erkodent to articulate a model and press it into the hot material, seems like it would be quicker to establish contacts. I wear mouthguards I make with the biostar and they fit great.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Bought the Erkodent today, looking forward to the night guards this next week, I have about 20 in the lab before I head back to NewYork this Thursday with my daughter for college. I'll let you know how I like the occ form apparatus