Dose anyone use sum3d with two different brand milling machine?

P

PinAn

Reaction score
Hi guys
I already have 350i, and now I want buy roland
But reseller told me I need buy a new sum3d milling box
And that cost 6k usd in my country ...

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
Can`t imagine thats true. I have DS cam and if i want to add another mill i need only aditional licence and postprocessor for machine. Can`t believe sum does another handling.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Did this back in 2012 imes 340i and Roland dwx 50. you just need the right post proseser for the mill. Same blanks can be used in both mills as well. But you will most likely need to change the offset or simply set a standard offset like 2.8 or 3.0 cause the imes uses a 2.5mm to trough and the Roland uses a 2mm, so a offset of 2.8 is minimal for a 2.5mm tool so 3mm might be ideal but still big for the Roland. It manageable.

Also you will have to figure out if the disk is rotated in the ones from the Roland. If I recall right the disk was flipped or rotated 180° in the holder. Has to do with the position of one of the axis.

Best way create a new blank place it in the ones and run a simulation cut with no disk in the mill for a single unit, then run another simulation with another single unit in the Roland and see where the disk needs to be changed and remember and make changes as needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
also sum3d as far as i know doesnt allow you to have multiple simultaneous cam from one installation at a time. you literally need a second computer to even do 2 calculaions at the same time.

greeny

greeny

Sponsors
Reaction score
Did this back in 2012 imes 340i and Roland dwx 50. you just need the right post proseser for the mill. Same blanks can be used in both mills as well. But you will most likely need to change the offset or simply set a standard offset like 2.8 or 3.0 cause the imes uses a 2.5mm to trough and the Roland uses a 2mm, so a offset of 2.8 is minimal for a 2.5mm tool so 3mm might be ideal but still big for the Roland. It manageable.

Hey Sevan, the offset is a general setting? Meaning you can't set it differently for material types, part types, or machines? :eek:

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
you literally need a second computer to even do 2 calculaions at the same time.
I run multiple copies to do simultaneous calculations all the time...it saves time when you got a few pucks to cut from.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah but you had an unlocked copy. they wont give that to just everyone.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
yeah but you had an unlocked copy. they wont give that to just everyone.
Not sure about that, got a crappy Roland version...cant wait for the mill to die so I can get a better setup :banghead:

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Hey Sevan, the offset is a general setting? Meaning you can't set it differently for material types, part types, or machines? :eek:
Last I remember in sum 3d there was no machine profile to create different offsets for each material. Don't know on newest version. But acts as a global for all materials. Only one setting.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Not sure about that, got a crappy Roland version...cant wait for the mill to die so I can get a better setup :banghead:
You should get a wieland programill, wieland cam runs circles around sum 3d in calculations and ease of use. And it is almost if not more powerful in milling implant bridges and ASC crowns.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You should get a wieland programill, wieland cam runs circles around sum 3d in calculations and ease of use. And it is almost if not more powerful in milling implant bridges and ASC crowns.

It won't be sum 3d, for sure. It's a POS when it comes to put strats together from scratch, with no feedback and the generated toolpaths are quite inefficient.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It won't be sum 3d, for sure. It's a POS when it comes to put strats together from scratch, with no feedback and the generated toolpaths are quite inefficient.
Hyperdent or wieland my friend.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if you've got something to say, say it unky @herb

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hi guys

Its the same as with any other cam depends which version you have full 5 ax all post processors or 5 ax one mill ( cheaper) and so on
350 has normally a 5 ax one mill ( 350) version which is cheaper around 8 bucks full is around 12-14 reseller should talk to cim for a better offer

and by the way never got so many **** work than with Hyperdent STL without constr. info
Wieland versus DS cam no real collision detection.

Last edited:
P

PinAn

Reaction score
Its the same as with any other cam depends which version you have full 5 ax all post processors or 5 ax one mill ( cheaper) and so on
350 has normally a 5 ax one mill ( 350) version which is cheaper around 8 bucks full is around 12-14 reseller should talk to cim for a better offer

and by the way never got so many **** work than with Hyperdent STL without constr. info
Wieland versus DS cam no real collision detection.

Man... the version I got is full imesicore machine control(250~650)

Does anyone can share 51d machine archive data , let me try post processor?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Man... the version I got is full imesicore machine control(250~650)

Does anyone can share 51d machine archive data , let me try post processor?

than just add post done but i think you have a special imes version open yes but only imes no other brands , ask cim done in a minute

P

PinAn

Reaction score
than just add post done but i think you have a special imes version open yes but only imes no other brands , ask cim done in a minute

They said I need buy roland version milling box or sum3d

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
Hi guys

Hi PinAn, you can upgrade from the IMES version to run both machines - you just need to pay the difference between your POST-restricted version and the full version that allows posting to all machines. I'd need your dongle number so I can look up your current license to let you know roughly how much that would cost.
Also, I would advise looking into getting MillBox as part of your upgrade, it's the new interface for the CAM and has been launched for nearly 1-2 years now.

Also you will have to figure out if the disk is rotated in the ones from the Roland. If I recall right the disk was flipped or rotated 180° in the holder. Has to do with the position of one of the axis.

Best way create a new blank place it in the ones and run a simulation cut with no disk in the mill for a single unit, then run another simulation with another single unit in the Roland and see where the disk needs to be changed and remember and make changes as needed.

Each machine has it's own offset values in the case of the IMES mills. For the Roland mills, these are all the same so there's no need to manually set any offsets.

also sum3d as far as i know doesnt allow you to have multiple simultaneous cam from one installation at a time. you literally need a second computer to even do 2 calculaions at the same time.

Hi Luke, this is actually not the case. You can perform multiple calculations simultaneously in the standard single core calculations. For the multi-core calculations, it's not recommended because the CAM will utilize up to 100% of the CPU for the single calculation (if needed).

Last I remember in sum 3d there was no machine profile to create different offsets for each material. Don't know on newest version. But acts as a global for all materials. Only one setting.

This was the case in SUM3D, but can be augmented in MillBox to be transparent to the user. You can essentially create different "machines" in the existing archive with different offsets (if needed) and reference that machine through MillBox's backend configuration.

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
As additional follow up, you will typically have 2 options:
  1. Upgrade your CAM to POST to both machines (possible maintenance needed too, I also recommend considering upgrading to MillBox)
  2. Purchase 2nd seat (for another PC) of Roland Edition that can run only Roland machines.

Top Bottom