DOF or Medit scanner?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It was Medit , took four months plus to fix it ,got sent away two times (once to Korea ,which actually got it fixed). I'm no longer a medit fanboy :(
Did they send you a loaner?

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Did they send you a loaner?
Yes, But they kept sending the wrong dongle with it (twice) it never did work in my lab,,,,, So I ended up having to buy a new scanner until mine was fixed. Looking back on it now it was a real comedy of errors , lol

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
we went through like 3 medit. none lasted very long. it had a really crappy design that was basically designed to fail. the lamp never shut off while it was on. on every other scanner, lamp only turns on while scanning.

DOF has been great. still working just as well as it did when we got it several years ago. stable scanning stage makes scanning so much more convenient.

sigh. what timing. our DOF just broke down. working perfectly fine one moment, then just pretty much died. light's extremely dim all of a sudden and it's unable to scan anything. didn't quite make it to 4 years. I'm told it needs a projector and board replacement. the process so far has been a bit frustrating, and I still have no idea when I'll be back up and running.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
sigh. what timing. our DOF just broke down. working perfectly fine one moment, then just pretty much died. light's extremely dim all of a sudden and it's unable to scan anything. didn't quite make it to 4 years. I'm told it needs a projector and board replacement. the process so far has been a bit frustrating, and I still have no idea when I'll be back up and running.

If you still have the scanner try changing the power supply. That might be all that is wrong. I don't know about the DOF power supply but the Medit scanners used a brick that was the same as a laptop external power supply. If nothing more, just check the output of the current power supply with a volt/ohm meter to see if it is producing the specified output.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
ugh. wow. Is anything built to last more than a year now?
ugh. wow. Is anything built to last more than a year now?
A lot of the equipment lasts for several years and the engineers have designed most things so you can change parts rather than scrap the whole thing. I know this is a general statement but in reality most things are built to last and many companies really do try to resolve problems quickly. When things go wrong it is very frustrating which is why Nextdent 5100 printers come with a hot swap warranty. If something goes wrong under warranty the unit is replaced by your dealer rather than throwing parts at the problem and causing down time for the customer. (OK, yes, that was a shameless product endorsement).

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
If you still have the scanner try changing the power supply. That might be all that is wrong. I don't know about the DOF power supply but the Medit scanners used a brick that was the same as a laptop external power supply. If nothing more, just check the output of the current power supply with a volt/ohm meter to see if it is producing the specified output.

hmm.. power supply tanking. hadn't thought of that. unfortunately, it's an internal power supply using regular pc cables. doesn't look like we can change that. dof will have us swap the projector. still don't know when we'll get it but it's moving along now.

A lot of the equipment lasts for several years and the engineers have designed most things so you can change parts rather than scrap the whole thing. I know this is a general statement but in reality most things are built to last and many companies really do try to resolve problems quickly. When things go wrong it is very frustrating which is why Nextdent 5100 printers come with a hot swap warranty. If something goes wrong under warranty the unit is replaced by your dealer rather than throwing parts at the problem and causing down time for the customer. (OK, yes, that was a shameless product endorsement).

actually, that's the kind of endorsement I can get behind. I wish all warranties were like that.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I know, I was being quite grouchy at that moment. Thank you for your kind and clear response.

Not all manufacturers care either. If only engineers could reverse the decisions of accounting and sales as those two often do to engineers then we wouldn't have had Challenger, Takata airbags, and a few hundred other 'it'll never be a problem' type decisions.

I need more coffee.

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
I have heavily tested both scanner here at Panthera.
As precision both Medit t500 and DOF UHD are amazing scanning in term of precision.

The software of both can do everything, love the DOF for their expert version.
Speed, the Medit is quicker then DOF if you are into massive production.

I had to discuss with both team directly and honestly nothing wrong about both.

We at Panthera decided to go with Medit for 2 factor : Size of scanner, Medit is half the height of the DOF and speed as said Medit is quicker then DOF.
We use multiple T500 about 10 hours per day non-stop and they are very reliable. Cannot talk about this with DOF since I didn't push this side of the questions.

Thing said, in precision and quality don't be afraid both are amazing. (Same precision as 3shape D2000, even a little little more according to our test)

Honestly the first question is to check how good is your re-seller. Both scanner are at risk to break, don't take the story in this post as granted, they are both of good fabrication and have the same risk to break, what will make the difference is how good the re-seller will support you if this happen.

Enjoy your shopping!

Best

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
been waiting almost a month for the projector module to arrive, with no idea if it'll be anytime soon.

edit: welp. apparently it's back ordered. they have no idea when it'll even be available. not sure why they don't have such basic items in stock, and this delay is quite dismal.

Last edited:
T

TedUSA

Reaction score
As far as I know, DOF has a lot of scanners and there are some models that are fast in speed. If UHD's speed was relatively slower, the reason is probably because of the 5 megapixel resolution which is the highest camera resolution currently. I think the speed would be fast enough if you use a Freedom HD model.

Kam Yu

Kam Yu

Reaction score
been waiting almost a month for the projector module to arrive, with no idea if it'll be anytime soon.

edit: welp. apparently it's back ordered. they have no idea when it'll even be available. not sure why they don't have such basic items in stock, and this delay is quite dismal.
No loaner?

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
No loaner?

Not that I know of.

well, the projectors finally arrived at their facility today. Hopefully I'll be receiving it in the next few days, assuming no issues with customs.

This was an awful amount of downtime, and the complete lack of updates on shipping/tracking information wasn't ideal. It really shouldn't take months to get a simple projector replacement.

S

Scott Gillespie

Reaction score
Emerald Dental Works is an authorized Medit repair facility and do give loaners if the scanner was purchased through them.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
The medit t500 auto powers the projector off. You set the time of inactivity you want. Its the older models that don't power off.
Also projector on t series is also supposed to be much easier to replace/renew.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Stienbechler scanner is really amazing , going strong a pit slow but accurate and solid built

C

cdl

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the Medit T300 vs T500? Its a newer model and haven't seen any feedback about it. Im considering buying one but wondering if I should blow my budget and get the T500 rather

D

DIItech

Reaction score
Thank you for all your advises on the scanners. Very helpful