DOF Craft 5x vs. 5x400

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Amann made a good machine on their first few productions it seems, then when they got so popular and tried to be a do-all mill, things got complicated.

You cant go wrong with Imes, I think they have led the way in dental for many years, most everyone else is just copying them IMO. DOF certainly innovates, which is what sold me on the mill, but a company has to do more than just innovate to have longevity.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
You cant go wrong with Imes
Moon Crypto GIF by ProBit Global

every 650, 250i, 450i that i've ever seen and used have been absolute stinkers.

worse, the CAM vendors who ignore you when you report issues pertinent to the specific machine in the postprocessor.

i found a bug in workNC that produced two different results when camming the same object in two different Imes machines when they should be exactly identical.

nobody listened.

now i wouldn't trust an imes to mill even the simplest job lest it lose positional certainty midway through the job.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Moon Crypto GIF by ProBit Global

every 650, 250i, 450i that i've ever seen and used have been absolute stinkers.

worse, the CAM vendors who ignore you when you report issues pertinent to the specific machine in the postprocessor.

i found a bug in workNC that produced two different results when camming the same object in two different Imes machines when they should be exactly identical.

nobody listened.

now i wouldn't trust an imes to mill even the simplest job lest it lose positional certainty midway through the job.
My buddy up in Calgary has a 450i for 7-8 years already, still running fine... recently bought a 350 pro and he's very pleased with it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
My buddy up in Calgary has a 450i for 7-8 years already, still running fine... recently bought a 350 pro and he's very pleased with it.
there are users on this forum with multiple 450i sitting idle, for various reasons.

Affinity is/was one of them.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
450 is not idle, its milling titanium abutments with hyperdent, 2nd 450 is about to be setup as a spare zr mill or maybe an emax mill.. the DOF is collecting dust.
No machine is perfect, but some are further down the path than others. I dont claim to be an expert on CNC machines or their reliability, I only have my experience and opinion, just like everyone else.