DOF Craft 5x vs. 5x400

jmcfarlane

jmcfarlane

Reaction score
Looking at both. Dental practice does about 500 crowns a year, mostly zirc. We only do about 40 custom abutments so not a big focus. Same day dentistry is not a focus. Cost savings are important but control over delivery (thus reducing stress for the doc) is driving force. A non-dental person (me) will do the training and master the workflow to start and then teach an assistant.

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Been super happy with my 5x400. I think you can have it configured wet or dry but I mill everything Wet including Zirconia.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I have a used DOF mill, bidding starts at $1.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I see the Craft 5x mill used mostly chairside. Unfortunately, we lab techs have to do thirty crowns at once or we don't make any money. However, it really doesn't matter which mill usually, it's all about the support you buy with it!!!

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Looking at both. Dental practice does about 500 crowns a year, mostly zirc. We only do about 40 custom abutments so not a big focus. Same day dentistry is not a focus. Cost savings are important but control over delivery (thus reducing stress for the doc) is driving force. A non-dental person (me) will do the training and master the workflow to start and then teach an assistant.
Glad to hear another dentist caring about his practice. Good for you, your making the right decision.
Contact DOF at (949)932-0899.
They'll answer all your questions and fix you right up.

jmcfarlane

jmcfarlane

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it. Any strong opinions on sintering and glazing ovens for my situation?

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Best of luck with the stress reduction and patient satisfaction. Smooth move, should be a breeze with either one.

jmcfarlane

jmcfarlane

Reaction score
Best of luck with the stress reduction and patient satisfaction. Smooth move, should be a breeze with either one.
Hope so. Thanks for the encouragement

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Another one!!! Someone coming to DLN wanting to know what mill to buy to take work AWAY from labs!

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
I once was asked to build an inhouse lab / milling center to an office and to start to work in there. In the end I gave up on that, BUT when I was there I was asked to check on a crown, that was designed in the office. When I started to modify it (it was just auto generated sh!t) then the doctor asked, what the hell I am doing? I told that I am making this suggestion into a acceptable crown. The answer I got made my decision final - the computer generated the crown, it should know better and it was cerec :D

PS Just recently I heard that the same lab is generating such crowns (by a random worker - not technician),that doctors don't know in which direction to put it in the mouth - they look like cubes...

Last edited: