Does everyone make digital dentures now?

OpalEssence

OpalEssence

Reaction score
I am looking for a job in your country to fill the gap, please if you know, let me know

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
I see a problem with digital prostheses so that you can mill tryin in wax, but you can not move the tooth or teeth here and now in the office.

I know Merz Baltica system.. If dentist cant do correct measurement it wont work.
cad sets up teeth and does it well but only in class 1 at the moment.
they will learn dentist do do correct measurment, becouse they have requirements...but it will take place in mass production.

I think the biggest benefits are due to the rapid work with a large number of patients.

I understand i can enhance gingiva part with composites or something like. But what about life like teeth ?

for the undemanding client, there is certainly room for digital dentures in particular, that the results are very good compared to the work of a regular ordinary dentist and technician (before they learn to do things correct)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The shift will happen when a technology other than FDM can print in more than one color to make gradients of translucency and shade. When 3 and four layer teeth can be printed per patient instead of injection mould manufatured, we will see a change in userbase so rapid the the shift from gopher to http for internet protocols will seem like a glacial timespan.

MRI and CT integration tech keeps getting better. In time these datasets will be fully merged with full color life scanning to allow unbelievable advances with the above toward truly custom shaded teeth.

Something I keep dreaming anyway.

But imagine, a 10 minute sfull color full depth scan. A 30 material/color 5um 3d printer. Truly all in one fabrication. The future is coming for us all.Dentists included.

Dentures could become like eyeglasses. Ordered from some guy on the internet. Upload your scsns and get a set custom made in the mail. Need a reline? You can already home reline. Go to the UPS store and use their 3d scanner (all of them will have one for sending 3d data just like they do now for faxes) to upload your home reline. A new one with your original custom specs and a thicker base, or even 'rebased' to keep rational base thickness, arrives in your mailbox again.

<Inception> You mustn't be afraid to dream bigger darling</Inception>

Oh and for data aquisition of tissue? Hold a mouthfull of barium sulfate whike getting scanned. Also know as Bannana Slug to the radiology community as it's a bannana flavored bitter viscous goop. Bitter will get all the muscles we need to see to stand up and the viscosity will push out the cheeks and mildly compress all tissue .

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you can dream bigger than that.

a mirror you can buy, stand in front of it and see yourself with new hair, new glasses, facelift, teeth, piercings, tattoos, you name it. your desired appearance reflected back at you in real-time. press a button and have this thing made for you and shipped to your home, or if we're dreaming big to begin with, have it printed before your eyes.

"but CHL what about impressions and soft tissue and and and..."

not going to be necessary. this is time-of-flight and x-ray technology that can capture and delineate soft-tissue, an ai that can design, mathematically calculate bite, obey every plane, bow, sphere, and line customized by facial recognition.

the barest tip of the iceberg is kapanu

it is but a tiny taste of what can happen when math is applied to art.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
you can dream bigger than that.

a mirror you can buy, stand in front of it and see yourself with new hair, new glasses, facelift, teeth, piercings, tattoos, you name it. your desired appearance reflected back at you in real-time. press a button and have this thing made for you and shipped to your home, or if we're dreaming big to begin with, have it printed before your eyes.

"but CHL what about impressions and soft tissue and and and..."

not going to be necessary. this is time-of-flight and x-ray technology that can capture and delineate soft-tissue, an ai that can design, mathematically calculate bite, obey every plane, bow, sphere, and line customized by facial recognition.

the barest tip of the iceberg is kapanu

it is but a tiny taste of what can happen when math is applied to art.

All of that sounds great for crown and bridge. You are going to need a second machine that does psychology , and computes the fact that some patients aren't going to accept a bite opening, or knows all the code words in slang of what the patient is trying to tell you is the problem. The dentists who already know all of these things aren't likely to switch to digital, the ones who will are the recent grads who were taught this procedure in school.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Denial.

Perhaps some of the complaints from patients are systemic from current manufacturing techniques. You have to consider the possibility. This isnt just doing the same old things with new tools. Its a paradigm shift. As a crown and bridge guy, I never imagined where wed be today. Its not just different tools. Ill be delivering a couple bridges tomorrow that will fit perfect and will look great, and I never touched a model in the process.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
All of that sounds great for crown and bridge. You are going to need a second machine that does psychology , and computes the fact that some patients aren't going to accept a bite opening, or knows all the code words in slang of what the patient is trying to tell you is the problem. The dentists who already know all of these things aren't likely to switch to digital, the ones who will are the recent grads who were taught this procedure in school.
A lot of what you are mentioning is things that are already being handled in Digital methods. 14 unit roundhouse bridges are being made daily.

The tissue contact areas are the area that is now being investigated for best methods. But the bite opening and muscle tension issues of malocclusion are all issues that FMR and all on four restorations are managing. Well.

I don't get paid well enough to do psychotherapy. I make teeth.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Remember seeing the first Zirconia crown? It was a replacement for a full gold crown and they didn't really look that great.

Now look at where they are with Zirconia. The materials have improved greatly in not that long if time.

The same will happen with 3d printed dentures. Materials will change fast and the end result will improve greatly.

Better to keep you eye on what's happening instead of buried in the sand.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If someone can sell a denture that looks like this: TUSK Then youre a jedi master..

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
If someone can sell a denture that looks like this: TUSK Then youre a jedi master..
literally anyone can make this.. oh you are DARING people to try to market this denture... gotcha.

well, have a conversation with my bosses down there in chi town. maybe give you an edge with our software.

OpalEssence

OpalEssence

Reaction score
Is it true that the milled denture have a adaptaion problems ? I believe milling gives you all the dentures features except adaptation, it need to be rebased , right ?

OpalEssence

OpalEssence

Reaction score
Before, most composite restorations were done by dentists and we thought that dental porcelain and zirconia are the only materials of choice for perfect restorations, with Bioloren Trilor blanks and arch and Shofu composite things are even better especially if you have the chance to watch Mr. Visdomini hands-on, “Metal Free Materials in Dentistry” a workshop that every technician and dentist should attend.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
CHL, the company is selling that, or trying to, it’s the only picture on their website. And designers are promoting them for outsourcing the design. It makes me wonder if there’s even a technician working there. They should call it the TURD denture. I’ve seen much better and midwinter last year. Survival of the fit-test I suppose.

S

sirmorty

Reaction score
Remember these? Somehow these were being sold at an alarming rate.

It's going to happen with Dentures as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190219-182652.png
    Screenshot_20190219-182652.png
    671.4 KB · Views: 49
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
This is, to me, one of those landmark threads that people will come back to later on with nostalgia. The people comparing this to ZR can't be more correct. The naysayers, the staunch PFM guys, sure, they are making a living, but certainly not experiencing the growth that many labs are seeing. It will be the same way with the labs that refuse to do anything but heat process and wax by hand.

Personally, Im in with two feet. Hands down. I have a CARA system on the way to validate, as well as another printer. Specifically for Dentures. One thing no one is mentioning... its all about the LABOR. You know of many experienced setup people wandering around looking for work?? Many under 50?? This is the solution to labor shortages, and volume of work. I could care less if I ever mention the digital fabrication process to a client. What I will be telling them is that I can make a cost effective denture, to their esthetic standards, and do it quicker than the guy down the street. Oh, and I have a digital backup for a rainy day.

The photos I have seen in this thread are all dentures that are just printed and polished. If everyone thinks that is the limit to what you can achieve, Im certainly not going to tell you any different. But there is a great deal more you can do, today, to achieve a much higher esthetic result.

Your mileage may vary, but it would be in your best interest to look long and hard, rather than quickly dismiss and get left behind.