Dimpling in Emax press

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
hi everyone. I don't have this issue very often but I do sometimes on Emax veneer cases especially big rings. I have dimples on the surface of the veneers/crowns coming out of the press. I use Microstar HS investment. My spruing is textbook, I'm following investment instructions to a T. same for burnout instructions . 45 min for small rings, one hr for large, with 10 min added to burnout time per small ring added at 1600 F. sometimes I get jagged margins that looks like bubbles around the margin if is its too thin/ knife edge, so I leave it at .12mm in wax. . Any suggestions would be appreciated. next time it happens Ill post a pic.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
This old thread might be worth a read. My guess is something is too hot. I’d start by calibrating your burnout furnace and the pressing oven if you haven’t in a while.
There are other old threads here that might address a similar problem. I have better luck using google to search this forum than the DLN search engine.

The Veneer Guy

The Veneer Guy

Reaction score
I have the ep 3000 also. I use those silver square things regularly. Usually after 50 press cycles It reminds me and I do it. I just did it a couple weeks ago.

olwyn

olwyn

Reaction score
hi everyone. I don't have this issue very often but I do sometimes on Emax veneer cases especially big rings. I have dimples on the surface of the veneers/crowns coming out of the press. I use Microstar HS investment. My spruing is textbook, I'm following investment instructions to a T. same for burnout instructions . 45 min for small rings, one hr for large, with 10 min added to burnout time per small ring added at 1600 F. sometimes I get jagged margins that looks like bubbles around the margin if is its too thin/ knife edge, so I leave it at .12mm in wax. . Any suggestions would be appreciated. next time it happens Ill post a pic.
I've been wanting to know the cause of the dimples too. These are quite large and just one or two in random places, but always fairly near the sprue attachment. I get it sometimes and not others but I can't work out what's different. They are definitely some kind of shrinkage, like a 'suck-back' But I don't know how to stop it. If anyone can say, I'd be very appreciative.

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I have the ep 3000 also. I use those silver square things regularly. Usually after 50 press cycles It reminds me and I do it. I just did it a couple weeks ago.
i would lean toward burnout needing calibration

E

erykd1

Reaction score
Had the exact same problems with pressing, also using Microstar (not to say that's the issue) Random dimples, margin chips, etc. Unfortunately we never found a consistent solution. After 10+ years of headaches we bit the bullet and are now milling emax blocks. Still have some headaches but they're much more manageable now.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
Hi, we've used the Zubler SC ( surface conditioner) for years now and have avoided a lot of the variables mentioned here. A good investment😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-010229.png
    Screenshot_20220518-010229.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 15
RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Try Lisi from GC. We switched years ago, and love it.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Has that been an issue? I am pressing porcelain for 30 years :eek: now, but never felt the need of something like this.
Obviously you’ve been having a problem and didn’t even know it!

S

Scott Bradley

Reaction score
I've been wanting to know the cause of the dimples too. These are quite large and just one or two in random places, but always fairly near the sprue attachment. I get it sometimes and not others but I can't work out what's different. They are definitely some kind of shrinkage, like a 'suck-back' But I don't know how to stop it. If anyone can say, I'd be very appreciative.
Did you ever get this solved? I had this problem back in 2003 with Pentron's 3G material and later in 2012 with Emax, we found that the both the burnout and pressing ovens were too hot. Also we switched to the Zubler press which solved a lot of issues but started cracking the rings until we learned about the plunger size and having to reduce the pressure.