Digitally produced Clear aligners or invisaligne

D

drock

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can clarify a few things regarding these ortho appliances. We're looking into purchasing a 3shape in the very near future. We're looking into the ortho module as an add on. From my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, but if an itero Dr is scanning for invisialgne, this can only be fabricated by the company "invisaligne" and not by any lab with a 3shape? They have exclusive rights for that work flow thru itero? Also what other brands are there out there that can be lab produced? Is clear aligners another brand or is this a generic term for these types of appliances? Thanks for your help!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
excellent question, i am interested in finding out as well.

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
As far as I know some other company have started milling (whatever type or production, mill, 3d printing) competitive product of invisalign and they got sued by invisalign. There is some company that had to close door because of that.

At the moment what you find most in the market is company that will use the 3d scan of the model, print/mill each model of each step of the ortho treatment and then then fabricate each device on each model.

D

drock

Reaction score
thanks Benard,
So are you saying that to get around the infringement is to produce the appliance and model step by step as oppose to what invisalign does in producing all 32 trays at once?

Beatrice

Beatrice

Reaction score
I don't know exactly drock, I have not studied the whole patent they have, just sharing the info.
Also like said it a matter of technology, few company have either the know-how or machine to manufacture directly the appliance with a good material that will work.