Digital workflow doing dentures

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I've stated in the past that a lot of Doctors are not taking traditional impressions for Dentures and if you're a Removable lab you should look into getting some digital workflows going. At the very least, get on the various digital platforms to accept scans. This is a simple method of a case we did over the weekend. Please see pictures, then click on video (yeah, that's my ugly mug) :) All comments, good or bad are welcome!!!
digirocks1.png
digirocks3.png digirocks4.png digirocks6.png digirocks7.png digirocks8.png digirocks9.png

Click Here for Video!!!

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
There is no rule that says you have to do everything in digital.

I like how you explained this in the vid. Digitizing just the model work is a huge advantage.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
There is no rule that says you have to do everything in digital.

I like how you explained this in the vid. Digitizing just the model work is a huge advantage.
Yep...Tom Zaleske calls it digalog (half digital, half analog). I don't like the printed denture stuff. However, this doesn't stop me from doing digital...plus it's simple.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
ive never seen partials fit so well since the dentist started scanning instead of rubber impressions its great.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
Can you process acrylic on printed models? is it a specific material ?

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
I am not a removable tech but curious why did you print the lower partial in addition to having the actual lower partial denture

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I am not a removable tech but curious why did you print the lower partial in addition to having the actual lower partial denture
What was sent was the maxillary and the mandibular denture scans only. I had to print the lower denture to set the actual vertical pin. I wasn't sent the mandibular edentulous arch, that was inverted from the mandible denture.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
would you indicate which tooth libraries you are most happy with in your system? i'm finding some people unhappy to be locked out of certain libraries when making dentures in exo.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
would you indicate which tooth libraries you are most happy with in your system? i'm finding some people unhappy to be locked out of certain libraries when making dentures in exo.
That's a traditional/analog denture. However, you are right (I have Plovid version) the extra tooth libraries in that version you have to add on as a extra module.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You can always scan a whatever mold you like and turn it into a library

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
What was sent was the maxillary and the mandibular denture scans only. I had to print the lower denture to set the actual vertical pin. I wasn't sent the mandibular edentulous arch, that was inverted from the mandible denture.
[/QUO
Got it.

L

LarryRDC

Reaction score
Nice Rob! I did a similar "digalog" workflow back in March with a screw retained printed prototype.

The Doc wanted to do hybrid prototype and we were heading into the lockdown here. He had taken and sent me an abutment level transfer impression that was incomplete on capturing all the tissue ( and had no MUA's placed...sheesh!!) He also sent me full scans of her recently relined the upper and lower dentures. He said the patient was frustrated ( and didn't want more impressions at this time ) and wondered if he could get something screw retained before we went in to lockdown.. I told him I'd try to come up with something. :-0

I set up 2 projects:

One to strip the outer mesh of the scanned dentures, then invert for vertical dimension and models ( for alignment to the physical transfer soft (crappy) tissue model)

The second project was to scan the the the transfer impression with the needed angled and straight MUA's and MUA scan Markers, Then bring add in the inverted scans for aligning it all with the proper vertical. Got it all designed and finished and crossed my fingers....
He had to take some time to put in the MUA's ( angled ones too, lol) The bite was off in the posterior some and he adjusted the lower denture and all was good. Talk about a "leap of faith"

Here is the proposal video to help clear up the mud

J

jeppe

Reaction score
ive never seen partials fit so well since the dentist started scanning instead of rubber impressions its great.
How and where exactly can one notice the improvement in the final denture? Do you mean chromen cobolt frames or acrylic dentures? Can one already make partial dentures with cad? I've been thinking about going digilog but partials would still be analog.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
you still need to hand finish parts of our job but the quality of fit and design is much higher and more consistent using cadcam.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I've stated in the past that a lot of Doctors are not taking traditional impressions for Dentures and if you're a Removable lab you should look into getting some digital workflows going. At the very least, get on the various digital platforms to accept scans. This is a simple method of a case we did over the weekend. Please see pictures, then click on video (yeah, that's my ugly mug) :) All comments, good or bad are welcome!!!
View attachment 36550
View attachment 36551 View attachment 36552 View attachment 36553 View attachment 36554 View attachment 36555 View attachment 36556

Click Here for Video!!!

I believe the opposite. Most of the surveys showed that Drs are not into digital denture or digital denture scanning. Duplicating that denture in wax is what I have been doing for 20years in about 45min cost about $2 to do it and return the denture to the patient . And if the patient can wait another hour, we can do the wax try-in that same visit. It is nice to have a second option, but it is time consuming and cost a lot more. My 2 cents.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Digital =weekends=cottage=happy wife=happy life

Top Bottom