Digital Scans for Removable

Toothgnome

Toothgnome

Reaction score
I'm starting to see digital scans (and printed models) for removable appliances. For a flexible unilateral or a cast frame fabrication, no problem. But what do I do when the Dr wants to process a complete denture or cast partial on these printed models? I have just duplicated them in stone, but I have had a few that don't have the full scan of the palatal tissue or the labial or lingual vestibules. What to do? I communicate with the Dr, but it usually his auxillaries doing the scans.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm starting to see digital scans (and printed models) for removable appliances. For a flexible unilateral or a cast frame fabrication, no problem. But what do I do when the Dr wants to process a complete denture or cast partial on these printed models? I have just duplicated them in stone, but I have had a few that don't have the full scan of the palatal tissue or the labial or lingual vestibules. What to do? I communicate with the Dr, but it usually his auxillaries doing the scans.
its going to depend on how the case was before becoming a full denture.

i.e. is it a case with existing teeth to be extracted in the future for immediate? if so, great! you can easily establish a bite and a vertical and a midline and a plane.

if not. this should not be done with IOS yet. better to take an impression.