Digital Prescriptions

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
Hello folks,
We are building a custom software for our lab. And one of the main problems, Doctor's prescriptions. We want to get rid of paper. Do we really need Doctor's signature since the Doctor's office is going to be registered at our system, license and everything. They are going to use the app to login and upload the cases. We receive digital orders from Scanning systems, and those orders do not come even with the doctor's license. I really do not know what's legally allowed and what not.
Thanks beforehand my friends.

Last edited:
mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
I'm also interested in this as well. When the inspector come in for the annual inspection that's the first thing they ask to see. We scan ours to not waste space but they look specifically for the doctors signature and if you have at least one from 3 years ago. I too want to be up to code but unsure of what is acceptable when it comes to digital prescriptions.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm also interested in this as well. When the inspector come in for the annual inspection that's the first thing they ask to see. We scan ours to not waste space but they look specifically for the doctors signature and if you have at least one from 3 years ago. I too want to be up to code but unsure of what is acceptable when it comes to digital prescriptions.
They ask to see the Rx’s that you have but do they ever ask to see the Rx’s that you don’t have?

doug

doug

Reaction score
That they have their systems registered is enough to qualify as a signature. We save all scripts as a .pdf. I pull up several to show the state inspector when he/she comes in biannually. I can show them for the last 8 plus years. Everything gets scanned.

mightymouse

mightymouse

Reaction score
They ask to see the Rx’s that you have but do they ever ask to see the Rx’s that you don’t have?
Just like Doug wrote they are only interested in a set number of years. I believe in Florida it's 3 years. If you have just one script from that time that satisfies their request.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,
We are building a custom software for our lab. And one of the main problems, Doctor's prescriptions. We want to get rid of paper. Do we really need Doctor's signature since the Doctor's office is going to be registered at our system, license and everything. They are going to use the app to login and upload the cases. We receive digital orders from Scanning systems, and those orders do not come even with the doctor's license. I really do not know what's legally allowed and what not.
It is dependent on state/commonwealth/provice law.

In Virginia the law regarding dental Rxs was written in the 80s. It specifies there must be a signature on the form or it is not a 'legitimate rx'. If you can't sign it in ink, it doesn't count here according to the Dental Board.

"Anybody can click the button, we need on the form who is reponsible for prescribing, to sign it" was about as clear as it got. They're not lawyers and not allowed to make legal determinations but are responsible for applying it. It's a fun call.

Ask your college, board, or whatever you'd be in trouble with if you did it wrong.

David Lesh

David Lesh

Reaction score
You can google the dental practice act for the state you are receiving cases from. Most states lay out prescription requirements. You'd be very surprised what some states have on there. There are also the records retention requirements, etc in each states practice acts as well.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
If it's web-based and you want to play it safe, you could use something like: http://szimek.github.io/signature_pad/
Maybe have it generate a pdf with the Rx and signature to show to the inspector if they come knocking.
Yeah @modbl , its web based, i am also planning to build a mobile app. The thing is, we have different doctors, some use use meditlink, others itero or 3shape communicate. They send the cases through those systems, but neither has signature or doctor's license. So, we also need to request the doctors to send a signed prescription, or in this case register the case electronically in the system we are planning to build and also send the case through those systems previously mentioned?

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
It is dependent on state/commonwealth/provice law.

In Virginia the law regarding dental Rxs was written in the 80s. It specifies there must be a signature on the form or it is not a 'legitimate rx'. If you can't sign it in ink, it doesn't count here according to the Dental Board.

"Anybody can click the button, we need on the form who is reponsible for prescribing, to sign it" was about as clear as it got. They're not lawyers and not allowed to make legal determinations but are responsible for applying it. It's a fun call.

Ask your college, board, or whatever you'd be in trouble with if you did it wrong.
Thanks @JMN i will investigate.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
@mightymouse I will let you know what i found.

rivfordental

rivfordental

Reaction score
That they have their systems registered is enough to qualify as a signature. We save all scripts as a .pdf. I pull up several to show the state inspector when he/she comes in biannually. I can show them for the last 8 plus years. Everything gets scanned.
@doug we are doing this process right now, but we want to simplificate it.

M

modbl

Reaction score
When you receive a case through the various portals, you could send a notification to the doctor's app to have them fill out any other info you need, get the signature if needed, authorize payment, etc. I wouldn't require them to enter the case in the scanner's portal and also go to your app/site unprompted.

David Lesh

David Lesh

Reaction score
Hello folks,
I have a lot of experience in this. Give me a buzz or an email (832) 579-0954 or [email protected]

Top Bottom