Digital Archiving in Ortho Lab

3do

Reaction score
****Originally posted on 3dO Forum*****

Study models are indispensable part orthodontic diagnostic and treatment processes.

Study models traditionally been made out of either plaster or stone served for diagnostic and treatment planning as well as provided physical record of the original malocclusion, any stages during correction and the outcome of treatment.

However study models because they are cast in plaster have a number of the following issues:

* storage and retrieval;
* diagnostic versatility;
* transferability;
* durability.

Since early 2000 number of large companies such as CADent, Digidigm, Orthoplex and others have been offering Study Model Digitizing services to orthodontists. Their services are designed to resolve issues identified above with physical study models. Unfortunately, these services are all proprietary, basically locking their users to one provider. And what is more troubling that they are designed to reduce the role of the smaller lab in the treatment development process.

However, the same service offered by local laboratories can prove to be more beneficial more cost effective to dentists and even accelerate rate of acceptance of digital technology among them.

Digital models have all the advantages of plaster models, apart from being able to hold the casts ‘in your hand’ and provides the clinician with a bit more:

* a simpler and more effective method of measuring and storing data taken from the ‘virtual’ model;
* simpler storage and integration into the patients ‘digital’ file, along with the digital photographs, x-rays and clinical notes;
* simpler retrieval and viewing along with the patients other clinical data—especially at the chairside;
* easy transferral to others in the patient’s healthcare circle via prints or email attachment.
* faster turnaround
* Open architecture

The process of study model production will work the following path:

1. Impressions are made by the Dentist and picked up by his/her original laboratory
2. Laboratory creates Digital Study models utilizing 3D Scanner and Ortho software.
3. Overnight digital models are uploaded from Laboratory PC to Dental Clinic utilizing Secure File Transfer Services
4. Orthodontist reviews models, and demonstrates them to the patient as required.
5. Digital models are retained by File Transfer service provider for necessary number of years. Backup copies are delivered to dental clinic on periodic basis.
6. If the need of model reproduction ever arises then models are milled or printed using STL technology.

3dO Medical IT has a technology to enable ortho laboratories to provide study model digitizing services by supplying them with necessary hardware and software. In addition 3dO teams up with laboratory to delivery necessary IT support and training to dental office related to diagnostic software, file transfer, and backup.

Please visit 3do Medical | 360° Solutions for Dental Industry for more information.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
I have a demo copy of this software and so far I am impressed. The viewing software is much better than what I currently use, the analysis software is good but I like mine better. We have printed (built models) from the STL files and it is really cool.

Getting in the AAO mode then summer and the crazy busy season.

Regards,
Don

Kendall

Kendall

Reaction score
@ Don, Have you been checking the dimensional stability of the printed models? I have found with some materials there is a difference from actual model to printed model One reason I have found so far seems to be different printing materials have different stabilities based on the volume of material being used to print the model. Seems one trick is to find a material that is stable for our needs at a cost effective price. I should also include a cost effective printer in this statement too.

Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
@ Don, Have you been checking the dimensional stability of the printed models? I have found with some materials there is a difference from actual model to printed model One reason I have found so far seems to be different printing materials have different stabilities based on the volume of material being used to print the model. Seems one trick is to find a material that is stable for our needs at a cost effective price. I should also include a cost effective printer in this statement too.

Kendall:

Yep..
We test using pressure formed clear retainer material, we scan the original model, build or grow it, form a clear retainer and transfer it to the original model that was used in the scan. So far I am keeping my check-book closed.
The other issue is the cost to print and the time to print (print meaning to build the model). It is all over the place from 1 hour to 16 hours but I have been told there are machines that can do it in 10 minutes and for as little as $1.00...I cannot find them!!!

Also...
Acrylic sticks to the models I have tested like glue, we tried separator but it had no effect. I am sure we can overcome this by using a pressdown film and then salt and pepper over it but I have not figured it out yet.

Then....
Dude I was told the best way to grow the models was SLA technology and the equipment I need would cost $180K...that's more than I paid for my first two houses combined...yikes

Oh and the digital impression thing...that is another story. Imagine spending $20K on equipment and then every time you create a digital impression you must pay the equipment maker another $25 or $35 dollars NOT including the cost to have the model printed or milled...So (and I am a true believer in this technology..it is the future) an orthodontist takes a digital impression, then the model is created..grown or milled...then the appliance is made:

Digital Impression = $25.00
Model made = $20.00
Shipping the model to the lab to fabricate the appliance = $6.00
Total for simply the model work = __________
$51.00

Now we must make and charge for the retainer, IMHO this math will not work for ortho at this time. Let's talk about this in length at the WKE in a few weeks. Also I would like to invite any lab that is willing to share to our WKE at the AAO Monday May 3rd in DC..email me if you are interested.

As I said I feel digital is our future, we just need to make it work.
Digital study models create a great ROI (return on investment) and I encourage you to check the few systems out there....man I love this stuff!!!!

Regards,
Don

Teofil

Teofil

Reaction score
1- Acrylic sticks to the models I have tested like glue, we tried separator but it had no effect. I am sure we can overcome this by using a pressdown film and then salt and pepper over it but I have not figured it out yet.

2-Dude I was told the best way to grow the models was SLA technology and the equipment I need would cost $180K...that's more than I paid for my first two houses combined...yikes

Hey Don
1 If the separator you use with plaster does not work try using the spray-on separator used for fiberglass molding, it comes in pressurized spray-cans. It's very thin in it's some kind of rubber you spray on and let it dry on air.

2 Have you seen this
uPrint 3D Printers costing around 15.000$
It says :Layer thickness:0.254 mm (0.010 in) or 0.330 mm (0.013 in)
That might not be enough but you can order request sample model on their site and test it
The Elite model is something like 30.000 and is slightly more precise (.007 in.) layer thickness.
You could check out Z corp's printers too
3D Printers
Zprinter 310 plus is around 40k and says Layer Thickness: 0.0035 inches(0.089 mm)

Last edited:
Inman Labs

Inman Labs

Reaction score
2 Have you seen this
uPrint 3D Printers costing around 15.000$
It says :Layer thickness:0.254 mm (0.010 in) or 0.330 mm (0.013 in)

Yep...have a few models on my desk from them

That might not be enough but you can order request sample model on their site and test it
The Elite model is something like 30.000 and is slightly more precise (.007 in.) layer thickness.
You could check out Z corp's printers too
3D Printers
Zprinter 310 plus is around 40k and says Layer Thickness: 0.0035 inches(0.089 mm)
[/QUOTE]

I will check them out but I am really interested in the OBJET, they have 2 machines. One is around 40K the other around 100K, both seem good but the 100K machine is fast and can print a model in about 20 minutes. Most of the printers I have looked at take 6 to 8 hours and that just wont work for us.

Regards,
Don

PS thanks for the heads up on the separator spray