difference btwn CDT and RDT?

M

mkim8721

Reaction score
what is the difference between CDT and RDT?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Certified Dental Technician-Means you took the comprehensive exam, written speciality exam and then the practical and passed all those. RDT- Means you went to a recognized school for 2years or 4 years in Dental Technology and decided to go that route to get your CDT license. If my memory serves me right, the RDT's don't have to take the comprehensive exam, but will still have to take the written and practical to acheive their RDT/CDT title. Hope this helps.

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Hmmm..interesting. I went to a recognized dental lab school and when I graduated from that program I received my RG (recognized Graduate). Is that what you mean by RDT? TheLabGuy is right, we dont take the comprehensive exam. Our final exam, that you have to pass to graduate, is the substitute for the comprehensive. So when I took my CDT test I only had to take the written specialty and the practical. As far as my paperwork shows, I became CDT with an RG.
I dont know of any RDT, unless they have changed it, if they have then I need to order all new business cards!:eek:

E

elizzy

Reaction score
RDT is the Canadian It means registered with a gov't authority. Most provences have a Registar. There are different qualifications to be RDT most include traditional (formal) education. Our CDT is voluntary and bassed on assessments of skill and knowledge. In the US how you aquire the skill and knowledge isn't tied to a specific delivery mechinism.
elizzy

M

mkim8721

Reaction score
then....

thx for all ur replies! does CDT have any restrictions? because i think RDT doesnt have any restrictions...:confused:

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I think the the only restrictions for the CDT are that you be working in that specific field for a minimum of 5 years, have two CDT's attest and sign your application confirming this, never been found guilty in a court of law for ethical/criminal charges related to dentistry, and you must get a passing grade on the comprehensive test before you apply to take the specialty written and practical exam. Like i said before, I took my CDT's a few years back, so somethings may have changed, this would be a good question for elizzy.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the good info. It looks like I am going to have to get my CDT in order to meet the model bill for dental labs NADL regulations. I was hoping I could be grandfathered in?

L

labdude

Reaction score
;)No Trisha, you would be Grandmothered in.

trisha

trisha

Reaction score
Grandmother

Labdude your a riot! I thought of that but did not want to appear to much of a feminist:p

Cade- the NADL.org website has this information on it that you can download, its 5 pages long. click on this link "Guidelines for Statutory Regulations at the state level for dental laboratories". An easy read.

Thanks to our fearless leader "Travis" for providing this information to all of us so that we can keep up to date on what is going on with the upcoming regulations that we are going to have to adhere to in order to stay in business. The post I read yesterday was titled "Outsourcing concerns FDA regulations ADA regulations What is our Future"

Hope you all have a quality day!

I am off to do my pick up and deliveries

RetainerDesigner

RetainerDesigner

Reaction score
Trisha-
Thanks for the info. I will read that and see if anything has changed. I already have my CDT, I had to get it because the state of Texas requires it. I already had to move my lab out of the house, because of the same reason. Lets see if they come up with anything else.:eek:

D

dentcre

Reaction score
Trisha-
Thanks for the info. I will read that and see if anything has changed. I already have my CDT, I had to get it because the state of Texas requires it. I already had to move my lab out of the house, because of the same reason. Lets see if they come up with anything else.:eek:

you had to move your lab out of the house ? did they"state" told you something ?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Yep, the state doesn't like when a business in the same place as you reside (live). Why you ask? Because our imperial strong arm government figures they can collect taxes from you in two places (your home and where you have the business),if you don't have a lab inside your house. If you have the lab inside the house, then they can only collect taxes from one location........gotta love of our government.

L

labdude

Reaction score
What about a completely separate structure from the house??
1/2 acre away from the house???
Or is it that it can't be on the same property?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
does the property have a different address?

L

labdude

Reaction score
Yes the lab is on the same 2.5 acres.
So....it needs a different address??
I could rent a small piece from my neighbor, different address.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
yep, gotta have a different address.......although i will say, that's a state statue, and every state is different.

L

labdude

Reaction score
Seems then to be a matter of when a CDT is required in Oregon, then, what rules they feel like putting in place.
Unless of course, that is part of a states "job" to then require a different address, along with the CDT requirement. The way things work in regulation, probably would be that way.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Just wait till the Imperial Federal Government decides to put the hammer down......it's coming via the F.D.A. and NADL.

D

dentcre

Reaction score
never heard about this "house" issue, here in texas there are a lot of labs in houses,
mine is coming back to the house for a short period till we finish building .