Diagnostics Du Jour

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Marcus depends on the Doc. Most want ideal cosmetic but when the patient is a older farmer type man I have freedom.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Middle aged women are the most difficult and pickiest

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ok interesting Marcus. When I get an interesting case like an aged patient where I am making a 6 unit bridge to match a messed up mouth. No future work to be done. So the case comes out cool with mabey some root exposure and stains etc. I may photo the case and show it around to Docs I font work for. BUT a few months later the doc has a similar case come up and contacts me to do it. So what happens after a while you have several docs that don't use you except for certian type of cases.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
its like you said earlier Al, show them photos of the stuff you do and they'll give you those cases to do.

GAP

GAP

Reaction score
here's a full mouth I did last week, and a pretty white wax transfer for the pt

049.JPG 050.JPG

Attachments

• 051.JPG
    051.JPG
    855 KB · Views: 42
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    794.1 KB · Views: 54
D

Dentalmike

Reaction score
Cx5. Wicked material. This has been out awhile and now has new Cx5s (soft) available. I use this occasionally for diagnostics. Specifically made for sculpting, easy to see contours and surface with the medium grey color and its opacity. The only reason I don't use it for all waxing is that is has a lot of ash when you burn it. It can be ordered worldwide. Price is right, check it out. Also they say it can be milled and has ability to be printed. http://www.adambeaneindustries.com you will be blown away by this guys talent at life like reproduction.

This is a diagnostic I did and some pics of a natural teeth that I duplicated to show surface detail it can reproduce. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
First attempt with digital full mouth waxup. Milling now. hope it works! Definitely more work than expected. It was pretty much hand made as if I'd done it with a waxer.
And now, looking at pics, #22 looks way too bulky from occlusal view. I'll fix that and whatever else needs fixing after milling.
morty full mouth DWAX MesCntrc.png morty full mouth DWAX Man occ.png morty full mouth DWAX Max occ.png

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I applaud your for your digital efforts! I am working on my own techniques for this. Stick with it, you'll get faster just as you did using analog methods.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The trick is getting the wax off the screen in one piece.Banghead

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree after you screw things up a few dozen times you learn what can and can't work. If you are 3shaping I really recommend you to the bulk of the work in smile design before you ever think of hitting sculpt. Your contour will stay sharp this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Mjr

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just a question. Why are so many people still waxing by hand, including myself. Would this not be easier to design and mill? I have been looking into this but would love to hear from people who are doing it this way. Does it take to long to design?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I agree after you screw things up a few dozen times you learn what can and can't work. If you are 3shaping I really recommend you to the bulk of the work in smile design before you ever think of hitting sculpt. Your contour will stay sharp this way.

I've become pretty fast at doing 6 unit anterior designs but this was a beast. I always do as much as possible in smile design. At this point I wish they'd just combine sculpt and sm design into one. Can't figure out why they wouldn't.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
They have in 2015

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just a question. Why are so many people still waxing by hand, including myself. Would this not be easier to design and mill? I have been looking into this but would love to hear from people who are doing it this way. Does it take to long to design?

I haven't waxed a crown or diag wax for close to a year. I mill on the Jensen preciso and the margins are sweet. It's much faster once you get it down. This case was my first attempt at full arches.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score

Probably because old school waxers have a hard time transitioning mentally from the tangible world to the virtual. It also takes a little time to learn the tricks and short cuts with the software you are using. Once you start to figure it out, it's at least 10x faster than hand waxing. I still use my wax spatula and carver from time to time on preop models, but it is becoming less and less.

M

Mjr

Reaction score
Thank you 2thm8kr. Basically what I wanted to hear. Would you prep a model, scan , design and mill the diagnostic? Then just "stick" itv yo the model?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I usually scan the preop, then prep it and scan again. This way I can overlay the preop as I design. It helps to see midline and widths. Also where the occlusion was.
For some reason I can't get the software to work when scanning preop and doing virtual prepping. It either freezes or throws me some error code. Pretty frustrated about that.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
With photos and other visual aids, I scan the preop situation model and make my alterations with editing tools in the software to the virtual model.
Sometimes I'll have a model printed of the virtual wax up. The clinician can take an impression of that and make a temp old school and use a vacuum former or lab putty to make a prep guide. Sometimes I use the provisional module and make shell temps and have the doc take an impression of that after seating, scan and merge with the prep model and make changes, mill a temp and let the patient test drive them. The possibilities are endless unless you are imaginatively challenged. All of your analog skills you have aquirred over the years can be applied to digital. It's just a matter of making the commitment.