Designing layout of a new lab

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
Do you guys know anyone that does this kind of consulting?

What are some main points to think about?

I was wondering about this-
Would it be good to have designers sitting visibly in front of grinders/builders/finishers? That way people can have a better hand in what the design looks like when they get it? But don't know if that would be too much oversight and don't want people to not like their spot.

I think it would at least be good to have the designers and finishers close together

doug

doug

Reaction score
I would get some graph paper and layout what you think you might like to have. You can get a local designer to work from that to get where you want to be. Add a lot of extra electrical and make a lot of dedicate circuits for equipment

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I think all labs are different...some more busy with removables versus fixed or digital. I know after 5 years we did our layout we would like to change quite a few things. You might want to focus on two things. A open floor plan(movable benches) and making each area the most efficient (less walking steps). For instance, the ceramists hate having to get up and go across the lab to sandblast or steam something...wasted time. That's how I would start off. I know whip mix use to run a program, can't remember what it was called that focused on this. Also, I think it's called Lysta lab benches, they surely have a design guru to help in this as well. Keep us posted.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Lean Manufacturing, Rob?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
most of the lab outfitters will do design work included in the pricing

user name

user name

Reaction score
I like to keep dust generators...sand blasting, model trimming, far away from the porcelain room.

Wish I had a powerful central vac plumbed into floor vents so I just had to lightly sweep.

BlakeHarting

BlakeHarting

Reaction score
A open floor plan(movable benches)

Movable benches? o_O

That would be pretty cool. Like completely movable on wheels, and people can just work wherever they want? What happened to make you think about that?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Movable benches? o_O

That would be pretty cool. Like completely movable on wheels, and people can just work wherever they want? What happened to make you think about that?
We are moving towards more digital in our fixed department, and our removable department is growing...therefore the layout of the lab seems to always be in need of transitioning to more a 'lean manufacturing' trend. To make each employee the most productive, they really shouldn't have to move very far to do this or that...each step away from your work area adds up real quick to loss productivity. Movable benches, is what I wish we had currently.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Separate shelves for the monomer and the cream in the fridge.

Coco409

Coco409

Reaction score
Just remember what type of flooring you'll need when you are looking for a crown. :) All the labs I've been in have had specky flooring, not fun finding an implant screw! In all seriousness, map out your workflow. That's a good start. Lean manufacturing is a very easy concept that you can find a lot about online. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have carpet because I've shattered crowns on tile/concrete floors. I'm getting ready to replace it and will probably go with carpet again. It helps keep the place comfortable and helps deaden the noise.