Denturist education!

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been woked as dental lab tech. more than 10 years.
I am thinking to study to be as Denturist, so my question which school the best and cheapest to study this degree or any other way for having this certication specially I have expereince.

thanks

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
New England School of Dental Technology in Bangor Maine.
They have a distance learning program that has pending recognition.

http://nesdt.com/
The students who successfully complete the New England School of Dental Technology (NESDT) Denturist program will meet all the learning outcome standards set by the International Denturist Federation (Pending),the Department of Education of the State of Maine for post-secondary higher education (Pending) and Maine Board of Dental Examiners (Pending).

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Do you have any idea how much does it cost this course please? I tried to call them months ago but no answer!

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
The distance learning course in oregon was about $65k last I saw.

Hayden40

Hayden40

Reaction score
Do you think its worth this cost? or I mean the income it will good after the graduation? better than the lab tech. income? do you think that?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I cant answer that, but Im sure there are others here who can. My opinion is that, even with a denturist license, you are generally serving patients who want the cheapest dentures.. or cheaper than what a dentist would charge. Im sure you could make a living, there are many clinics here in the NW.. but.. I think you are going to hit a price ceiling much faster as a denturist than as a lab owner working for dentists. The disadvantages to me, and I mean no disrespect, are that you have to deal with patients, impressions, unsatisfied customers with unrealistic expectations.. Just a thought.

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Bates Tech in Tacoma WA has a good course.. waiting list though.
there are a lot of good labs in that area to go work in while in school

Sydceramist

Sydceramist

Reaction score
It all depends on you, but my cents why deal with the middle man? when you can deal with the customer and sell a product & service at the price & way you want.

Its Very rewarding and the freedom it offers is amazing.

I am on a holiday I dont see it as work.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
To me, advertising or marketing to a pt, to get 'the price and way you want' is an uphill battle, especially when most edentulous pts are looking for a cheap set of teeth.. the others with money want what they consider to be a professional to do the work. Perception is reality, and if there are 'high-end' denture clinics.. even I as a lab tech wouldnt be able to tell the difference.. Maybe some pts comparison shop?

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Projection of value, marketing, branding, dealing with patients(clients),all skills a laboratory should already have.
I see denturism as where removable prosthetics is going. Denturists cant do everything so there will be a natural Segway for those
not wanting patient contact(techs) but want to work on clinically sound records and treatment plans.
I see a ton of opportunity for those who position themselves wisely.

Last edited:
Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im not saying that a denturist clinic cant project value, in a sea of same-day budget dentures, I just think its an uphill battle, unless you have a plan.
Marketing a clinic direct to patient, in a high-end manner seems like it should make it an easy standout.. but I have yet to see that in ID or WA. Ive honestly never even seen a clinic advertised anywhere, yet one of my docs has implant-supported denture info that he markets in the local sales flyer monthly.. Im not sure a clinic is going to match the 'prestige' for lack of a better word, than someone with 'Dr' before their name, not to mention matching the advertising budget.

I do agree that there is a lot of opportunity, Im still waiting to see it.. Its a career choice, like getting your RN .. If you like working directly for patients, cutting out the middle-man as syd put it, then it might be worth it. But recouping $65k , not to mention 2 years of schooling will put you that much further behind the lab owner with a CDT that can start up and make money withoout spending $65k.. in the end, I would bet the denturists yearly income is not much more than a lab owner.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
I like when people say that nobody has done something.
And your right, without a plan, why engage.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
Clinically it's the bottom of the barrell. Why else would someone be allowed to practice dentistry without a doctorate?

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
You should look a little deeper into the scope of what a licensed denturists does.
Licensed denturists practice in Canada, the UK, and in 9 states in the US.
Dentistry is not practiced, denturism is.
And when it comes to removable prosthetics does anyone really think that patients are in better hands with the way they train dentists in the area of removable now days. Edentulous patients are sadly underserved.
Anyway, my take is my take and I have been told I'm full of **** before.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been woked as dental lab tech. more than 10 years.
I am thinking to study to be as Denturist, so my question which school the best and cheapest to study this degree or any other way for having this certication specially I have expereince.

thanks

Hayden,
Not picking on you, keep this in mind:
Quote "which school is the best and the cheapest to study this degree"? As a patient, I would not want a
Denturist placing a prosthesis in my mouth with a Walmart degree. If you choose this path.
I have learned in this business. To make money, you must spend money. (Time and investment).

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
Hayden,
Not picking on you, keep this in mind:
Quote "which school is the best and the cheapest to study this degree"? As a patient, I would not want a
Denturist placing a prosthesis in my mouth with a Walmart degree. If you choose this path.
I have learned in this business. To make money, you must spend money. (Time and investment).
Brings to mind a quote I once heard... "What do you call a dentist that graduated first in his class... Doctor. What do you call a dentist that graduated LAST in his class?" Yup. "Doctor".

And why are "same day" dentures cheap???? Seems to me you could run with same day dentures using top shelf teeth and acrylic and charge for the immediate service if your demographics allow???!!!???

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
65K for a milling set-up, dongle fees, a tight ROI window, and eventual model obsolescence, or a licensed degree that is recognized by state dental boards (eventually nationally recognized),the ability to partner with general dentistry and a built in referral base. 65K and less time watching reality TV .....sounds cheap..

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
65K for a milling set-up, dongle fees, a tight ROI window, and eventual model obsolescence, or a licensed degree that is recognized by state dental boards (eventually nationally recognized),the ability to partner with general dentistry and a built in referral base. 65K and less time watching reality TV .....sounds cheap..
If we are all lucky:rolleyes:, maybe there will be a reality show about denturists?

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
My two cents based on observations. Most Denturists are one man armies, receptionist/spouse is also a common addition .. (or receptionist becomes wife, seen that... or receptionist creates ex-wife, becomes new wife, seen that too.. whoa it IS ripe for a reality show) but I digress.

The best technicians aren't always the best sales and business people; in fact, those people are unicorns. Even if you can do everything very well, you're only one person who can only do so much in a day... so it's self limiting. So you can choose to stay small or try to grow.

Following the E-Myth logic, to grow you must delegate roles and responsibilities. Receptionist and a plaster monkey are usually first, followed by a skilled technician to do set-ups and finishing. This allows the denturist to see more patients. All these people cost money, so revenue must increase. Either the business goes 'high end' and charges more for value adds, or the business goes middle/low end and focuses more on increasing the volume of patients though the chair. Usually the denturist stops doing lab work all together and starts going to the dark side... aka acting like a dentist.

So don't expect to achieve excellence when you try to do everything. What's a swiss army knife really good at?... nothing, cause it tried to do everything.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
appreciate the input but I roll differently and for me, I think it would fit my model well