Denturism

T

TKR2003

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and relieved to have finally found a forum for denturists. I am a CDT with nearly 20yrs experience not only in the lab, but also clinically as a RDA working alongside dentists. I'm very interested in venturing out in to denturism. I have found an online school witch is great because it allows me to continue to work in my current state (where denturism is illegal) while working on my degree. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject but unfortunately I can't find much that is up to date. As of now it's my understanding that denturism is legal in Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, and Maine. However, in Arizona you can not own an independent practice. I also found info that reads, only in Oregon and Washington can a denturist provide ALL forms of removables where as the other states suggest that the services may be limited to that of just full dentures and/or repairs. Please correct me if any of this information is incorrect. Other questions I have are

How difficult is it to start a practice?
What is the average annual income?
Is it difficult to find partner dentists to work with?
Where can I find/ lookup the number of practicing denturist in a state?

I currently own a full service lab and see the need for nation wide legalization of denturism on a daily bases. Stil, this would be a huge leap of faith and I just want to make sure I know as much as possible before jumping. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Greetings Earthling! Welcome!

I think you stand a better chance of nationwide no permit required concealed carry of pistols than nationwide solo Denturist offices being legal.

Dentists make no small sum reselling lab services while having not to educate themselves to a great depth to pull off an average denture case done by a good lab. Case in point, new dds in my town thought it didnt matter how open or closed the bite registration was with the wax rims as I was "supposed to" put it in the "right place" when articulating the models. Guess which of us got yelled at and which got 90% of the fee.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new here and relieved to have finally found a forum for denturists. I am a CDT with nearly 20yrs experience not only in the lab, but also clinically as a RDA working alongside dentists. I'm very interested in venturing out in to denturism. I have found an online school witch is great because it allows me to continue to work in my current state (where denturism is illegal) while working on my degree. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject but unfortunately I can't find much that is up to date. As of now it's my understanding that denturism is legal in Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, and Maine. However, in Arizona you can not own an independent practice. I also found info that reads, only in Oregon and Washington can a denturist provide ALL forms of removables where as the other states suggest that the services may be limited to that of just full dentures and/or repairs. Please correct me if any of this information is incorrect. Other questions I have are

I currently own a full service lab and see the need for nation wide legalization of denturism on a daily bases. Stil, this would be a huge leap of faith and I just want to make sure I know as much as possible before jumping. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Only thing I'll offer: I moved to OR 5 years back. One of the options I tried for employment was bringing production expansion/quality to a denturist thst needed to be able to focus to hit the next level. I was at your career point in experience, had owned a couple labs. Nadal.
So my take away is that the ones with no technical experience prior to denturist education struggle because the can't deliver a quality prosthesis, and those who can were too few to have the vision to really get what I offered.
I think you can do well, but plan for success, because you'll need the help. It can't be done alone.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score

Thank you
I had the same feelings 25 years ago and took some courses on line to get my denturist degree. You can make good money. A friend of mine went from Miami, Fl to Washington state and now he is living his dream. There is a lot of demand for denturist but the ADA is your biggest opponent. They will never let it happen in the US. It is legal all over the world except in the US because of lobiest. Every time a dental lab associates puts up a bill in the Senate, the American Dental Associated with put up millions just to keep it in the drawer. What is the cost of a denture to a dentist? Alginate, dental assistant and some disposable trays; it is a money making for them and since they put the rules and laws, they can do what ever they want. Anywhere where Denturists exist denture are much cheaper and better service than a dental office. Can you find a dentist open on a Friday? How long does it take you to repair a denture at a dentist office? Some have their own labs in the back of the facility, unfortunately these are hired techs that do not know much except what the dentist tell them to do and we know dentist do not know much about removables. It is a subject that continue with the Chinese material used in dental restoration; how many people do you think know that in some states you have the right, as a patient to ask the dentist where my crown was made? They are supposed to have it posted in the waiting room and all over the office, has anyone seen them lately? No because they do not want you to know that they are sending them to China, India, Mexico and Costarica for $40 to $60 a denture. You might know a lot more than a dentist when it come to removables but he makes the rules, so good luck.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for your post, but I have to disagree that denturism is practiced all over the world, its not common in Europe to my knowledge. Do you have a list of countries that it is legal? I will agree with you about the lobbyists though..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Heres an idea of some prices in Idaho. The 'cash only' deal sounds like the way to go...Deal I think the Dr I do dentures with charges around $3000 per arch but Id have to ask.
Publication4.png

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Thanks for your post, but I have to disagree that denturism is practiced all over the world, its not common in Europe to my knowledge. Do you have a list of countries that it is legal? I will agree with you about the lobbyists though..

Here are some of the countries listed, if you expand you search you will find a lot more in Western Europe where the benefit to the population trump the greed of an association.
“In other countries, like Canada, Australia, Denmark, Finland, Iraq, Israel, and Switzerland, dentures are legally available through the services of denturists”. I have done my research a long time ago.
Peace.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Heres an idea of some prices in Idaho. The 'cash only' deal sounds like the way to go...Deal I think the Dr I do dentures with charges around $3000 per arch but Id have to ask.
Publication4.png
I'm not so keen on that cash only price. It's too close to what going market is for lab to clinic, and the remaining $99 isn't adequate to cover typical clinical overhead.
That probably draws some traffic, so I'd love to know what the catch is...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
European deluxe lol.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
There is a big following of Denturists on the various Facebook groups. As for me personally, I've looked at the Denturists online route...but I had to have a meet the Jesus meeting with myself. I really don't like the public...and furthermore, if I wanted to go back to school, I'd go back to dental school. That's where I'm at right now, maybe next week it will change.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Here are some of the countries listed, if you expand you search you will find a lot more in Western Europe where the benefit to the population trump the greed of an association.
“In other countries, like Canada, Australia, Denmark, Finland, Iraq, Israel, and Switzerland, dentures are legally available through the services of denturists”. I have done my research a long time ago.
Peace.

I stand corrected, having lived in europe a couple years, Ive never heard of a 'zahnprothetiker' or denturist, and as I did a little research there seem to be only a handful maybe in the country, around 40 members in a country of almost 8 million. The swiss denturist school and association appears inactive since 2012 on their website. If nobody is doing it, its because theres no money in it. Which is surprising because there is a huge shortage of dentists per capita, one of my clients there said one office could have close to 5000 patients..

B

Brandon Patrick

Reaction score
What is the cost of a denture to a dentist? Alginate, dental assistant and some disposable trays; it is a money making for them and since they put the rules and laws, they can do what ever they want. .

Except when insurance networks control pricing through contracts and dentists are forced to write off a lot on taxes. Then you forgot to factor in lab fees, which could be anywhere from 1/3 to 1/5 of that price tag (which they'll never see in full). Not to mention the overhead difference. To me it's not worth dealing with all the employees, then those problem patients that labs never have to see. I'm certainly not saying we should feel sorry for it, but it's the "grass is always greener" effect. I wouldn't want to be a dentist at all. I recently paid $600 to have more outlets added to my small lab, and you best believe I looked up how to become a licensed electrician..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im waiting on an electrician to come wire up some new outlets.. ive tried multiple companies, and nobody even returns my call there so busy. Im not sure the risk of getting electrocuted is better than the risk of hepatitis though...

B

Brandon Patrick

Reaction score
Im waiting on an electrician to come wire up some new outlets.. ive tried multiple companies, and nobody even returns my call there so busy. Im not sure the risk of getting electrocuted is better than the risk of hepatitis though...
Haha truth be told, I wanted to do it myself, but couldn't find the time. It's funny how I found the time to sweat more copper lines for my compressed air the following week though. Maybe try checking with a local tech school? Wiring outlets isn't going to be a complicated job for someone newly licensed. The job can possibly be easier if you need them on dedicated circuits. It'll save you a few dollars compared to an electric company and still be done according to code requirements

Jon the denture dentist

Jon the denture dentist

Reaction score
We started with a young technician about 6 yrs ago, he learned from an experienced technician. He was interested in becoming a denturist. He completed the online training while working full time in our lab, he was able to do his externship here in our office and is now seeing patients. We are located in WA state. I am a general dentist that purchased a practice that was limited to removable and surgery. We have an in-house lab with one full time removable tech and a model bench assistant. It has worked out really nice for us, having a dentist and a denturist work together under the same roof. Since its an established practice he does not need to go find new referring docs and he does not need to advertise. Right now he still does some of his own lab work but the plan is in the next year he will be full time clinical. Right now he is paid hourly but may eventually transition to a % of collections. If you have any questions I am sure he would be happy to answer them for you as well. He knows all the ins and outs of denturism in WA and the program that I think that you are referring to.