Denture Warranties

R

Ryan Vick

Reaction score
Was curious if and what kind of warranties do you guys offer for your removables.
For example, would it be crazy to offer a warranty program like this:
Economy denture- 6 months
standard denture- 1 year
premium denture- 3 years

Thats just numbers thrown out there not saying this is what I would do. Would like to see what others do or people comment if they dont offer warranties at all. Thanks!

D

dborla01

Reaction score
one year for all follow up.

D

dborla01

Reaction score
I wonder about the viability of warranting any oral prosthesis for more than a year. Banghead LOL... I still like that fella'. We, as health care professionals' are saying with a longer warranty: no matter what YOU as a patient do concerning your OWN health care, we will be responsible if you abuse it, etc. :eek: That does not make ethical or economic sense, in my humble opinion. Our most successful relationships, involve both parties' understanding their mutual responsibility's and the limitations that engaging in treatment, bring. ;) PS: We consider each case on an individually, when issues arise on an extended treatment-basis. :)

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
It doesn't make ethical or economic sense?? 5 years is realistic in light of what the denture costs the Dr. and the patient. If you'd like I will come to your lab and teach you how to produce a denture that you can warranty with CONFIDENCE for five years. I don't cover normal wear and tear any abuse. If they expect or demand the prosthesis be warrantied for premature wear abuse I will honor it. I still get paid for any warranty work down the road and it gets pricey. It is unethical and doesn't make good economic sense to have this warranty and allow the patient to abuse it for free.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So are y'all putting a warantee letter in with the case at delivery saying what is and is not covered?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I warranty my work to be free of manufacturing defects for the life of the appliance (what ever that means)

I do not warranty a tooth shearing because bubba wanted to show his fishing pals how he can open his can of PBR.

A warranty on any appliance is meaningless and only makes your clients "FEEL" like you will be there to pick up the pieces if they do inferior prep work. If you as a lab owner run YOUR business clean and adhere to a manufacturing protocol AND communicate it with your clients, you will not have issues. (or very few)

The good clients that return some sort of failure for credit are different than the guy that sends a Transitional single tooth stay plate in that has never been "Transisitoned" into a definitive restoration and EXPECT it to be repaired when the tooth snaps off.

The Denture department does not have to be a headache in your lab and having a fancy piece of paper with a warranty is much like this clip in one of my favorite movies

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Interesting replies, Wade and JMN. In light of our experience and others' we have conferred with through the years, the "wild card" is not the physical denture or partial, but as I was considering, the expectations of the Pt., their oral condition, and ingrained habits. Many people treat their teeth with care, but others' continue to neglect and abuse them, issues that health care providers sometimes cannot successfully address.Banghead And Wade, I do not need you to "teach me how to produce a denture". I am sure that both you AND I do a nice job in that arena, LOL.
Primary providers deal with the fact that denture-fitting' is only the middle product of the treatment procedure, with much follow up' necessary, if success is to be achieved. Maybe others can contribute their useful experience, and thoughts to this thread.

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
When the patient leaves the office from delivery. Warranty ends. People do strange things with their removable devices. Or they drop them on cement. However, IF something happened to the prosthesis that can be attributable to me or the process then I take care of it at no charge. That's never happened because I follow directions and the science involved. Don't cut corners and if you notice a problem, fix it before delivering.

Fixed I offer three year warranty. Like John has said its really all about the client getting a warm fuzzy feeling. Again with the no cutting corners, follow directions and fix any problems or redo case before delivery.

My mantra: 'if I wouldn't put it in my mouth then I'm not gonna put it in anyone else's.' plain and simple.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Denture Warranty?...never really needed one. Shlt is going to happen, whether its on our end or there end, or on the end of a fat lady...she's going to sing. So we add a little extra for this on all of our Dentures, it's not much because we really don't have issues. Most of our clients aren't looking for a freebie, so if something breaks, lets get it in here, send it back out...everyone is happy, make it up on the next one.

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Tommy Boy is freakin hilarious! One of my favorites for sure!

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Thanks for the interesting feed back, Lab Guy and Juko. Anyone else with more feed back?

Last edited:
C

cdtwade

Reaction score
So are y'all putting a warantee letter in with the case at delivery saying what is and is not covered?

No. I explain my policies on a case by case basis. Mostly it's a no questions asked warranty. Warranty cases are rare and normally I just fix it without question, if it is due to adhesion issue. If the patient states up front one of the "big three" (I was eating a donut, egg burrito, salad) there will almost always be a charge for it.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
And Wade, I do not need you to "teach me how to produce a denture". I am sure that both you AND I do a nice job in that arena, LOL.

Sorry I did not mean to infer that you needed to be taught how to make a denture. I pass on technique that can't be found in textbooks and are not common knowledge. A five year warranty is borderline arrogant in a way but I am sending a message up front.

Primary providers deal with the fact that denture-fitting' is only the middle product of the treatment procedure, with much follow up' necessary, if success is to be achieved.

One post delivery office visit is all that should ever be necessary IF the entire team is using correct protocol and techniques. If it takes more than that, someone dropped the ball somewhere whether it be knowing or unknowing. Holding the clinician's feet to the fire at times can be uncomfortable but clinical errors have to be addressed or the cycle repeats itself.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
No problem with the offering of warranties here....but with all due respect...5yrs is a bit much...pun intended.

Here's my point to counter...if you buy a car it comes with a warranty, fair enough. If you drive you car....following the manufacturers guidelines and traffic laws ...all good. However you are involved in an accident. Does the manufacturer honor it's warranty. Even some sort of deductible is or may have to be paid.

Even if you go to a big box store ...pick one. They all offer a warranty AKA extended protection plan...but at a cost to you...and there are strings attached...stipulations.

So even if a denture is being used in accordance within designed parameters ...stuff happens..

Aren't they consumables after all?

Last edited:
D

dborla01

Reaction score
Thanks Wade for your clarification.:) Concerning the years I worked with Dentistry, some operators were reasonable, (men almost 100%),there was honest give and take, and some were truly...forgettable...BangheadLOL.
This thread ties into the whole matter of the building of relationships from the start, that are built upon mutual respect and understanding of the challenges facing each member. It is not easy, given the hectic pace of life's activities, but ultimately the only viable way to run a satisfying business in the long-run.

C

cherylynn2007

Reaction score
It doesn't make ethical or economic sense?? 5 years is realistic in light of what the denture costs the Dr. and the patient. If you'd like I will come to your lab and teach you how to produce a denture that you can warranty with CONFIDENCE for five years. I don't cover normal wear and tear any abuse. If they expect or demand the prosthesis be warrantied for premature wear abuse I will honor it. I still get paid for any warranty work down the road and it gets pricey. It is unethical and doesn't make good economic sense to have this warranty and allow the patient to abuse it for free.
What is the name of your lab. I love that you warranty quailty work. [email protected]

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Was curious if and what kind of warranties do you guys offer for your removables.
For example, would it be crazy to offer a warranty program like this:
Economy denture- 6 months
standard denture- 1 year
premium denture- 3 years

Thats just numbers thrown out there not saying this is what I would do. Would like to see what others do or people comment if they dont offer warranties at all. Thanks!
Do you guarantee he or she won’t be biting into a chicken bone? Or frozen popsicles? Or dropped on tiles?
I believe in personal responsibility. Once a new dentist asked me that question and I dropped my sample on the floor and cracked a piece of it and said: is it my problem if your patient drops it? Why should I warranty accident?
New car warranty again function, for accidents, we buy insurance.