Denture Entrepreneur !

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
[emoji106]

I wish our lab fees were separate here in the states. That alone would do more for the race to the bottom then anything imo. Here the doctors desire to make a few extra bucks by skimping on the lab cost is hidden and it’s the driving factor in lower lab fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you. however you have access to 10 times the population that we do.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I hear you. however you have access to 10 times the population that we do.

True, which is why I choose to market and operate gears towards the “middle” of the road. Not skimmy off the bottom but not going after the cream on the top. Most people and dentist fall in the middle somewhere. That’s all I was trying to say from the beginning.

Seems people come on here looking for advice and everyone tries to tell them they will only make it if they charge top dollar. I would never advise anyone to go skimming at the bottom but there is plenty to be made in the middle.

Some of us are just average [emoji6]

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Do you have any (white) hair left ? :D
I'm doing ok.
There were a lot of rough looking techs at spectrum day in TO last fall, most were younger than me.

I guess sarcasm has it's merits ;)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
[emoji106]

I wish our lab fees were separate here in the states. That alone would do more for the race to the bottom then anything imo. Here the doctors desire to make a few extra bucks by skimping on the lab cost is hidden and it’s the driving factor in lower lab fees.

Why not eliminate the middle man altogether?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
At one time light fibered+ was a dead on match for 199.
Dentsply changed, not GC.
Translucent doesn' equal "cheap" to my eye, either, so...

You and I both know the quality of MC is great, but dentists who are used to certain acrylic brands because that's what they were using in dental school etc, might see the translucency and the shade and wonder about quality, just saying and that's just my opinion. Btw I also used the GC light fibered plus and to me it still wasn't exactly like the Lucitone. Dentsply is missing a big sales opportunity by not making a decent 3 min microwave Lucitone acrylic (as long as they keep the extra orange out of the shade or re add a little cadmium , lol)

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
You and I both know the quality of MC is great, but dentists who are used to certain acrylic brands because that's what they were using in dental school etc, might see the translucency and the shade and wonder about quality, just saying and that's just my opinion. Btw I also used the GC light fibered plus and to me it still wasn't exactly like the Lucitone. Dentsply is missing a big sales opportunity by not making a decent 3 min microwave Lucitone acrylic (as long as they keep the extra orange out of the shade or re add a little cadmium , lol)
I get ya. What docs don't grasp about materials could fill volumes.
My response is to explain the science of why it's a better resin

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Just got the new LMT magazine and they seem to be showcasing digital dentures in there. They sure are shiny, not much else I can say about what I see there;)

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Just got the new LMT magazine and they seem to be showcasing digital dentures in there. They sure are shiny, not much else I can say about what I see there;)
They all still need the teeth to be cold cured in....

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
They've gotta sell them gizmos.
Lots of people feel that dropping lots of cash on the latest wizbang will somehow make all the stuff they don' know/can't do themselves irrelevant.
I think P T Barnum covered this already.

They'll find their place because eventually the labor pool will almost vanish. But I predict anyone who maintains the skill to hand make will always do well.
Meanwhile the gizmos need to sell or the suppliers will not recoup.
So there's a lot of smoke being blown up a lot of asses right now.

Remember when Artglass was going to make ceramics obsolete?

Last edited:
JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
[...]Remember when Artglass was going to make ceramics obsolete?
We threw an entire kit of it out when closing down/packing up a lab.
All still in their cute little syringes in their cute little trays.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
They've gotta sell them gizmos.
Lots of people feel that dropping lots of cash on the latest wizbang will somehow make all the stuff they don' know/can't do themselves irrelevant.
I think P T Barnum covered this already.

They'll find their place because eventually the labor pool will almost vanish. But I predict anyone who maintains the skill to hand make will always do well.
Meanwhile the gizmos need to sell or the suppliers will not recoup.
So there's a lot of smoke being blown up a lot of asses right now.

Remember when Artglass was going to make ceramics obsolete?[/QUOTE

The digital needs to be perfected evidently, I was surprised at the photos I saw, but you're right they will find their niche

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Paladigital dentures are quite nice from Kulzer. They are heat cured after the PMMA try in. Quite an array of acrylic colours to choose from as well as the whole Kulzer line of premium teeth. Baltic Denture System also looks interesting as the puck to mill out is acrylic with real Merz denture teeth already processed on disc. Three sizes only though, small, medium large

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Paladigital dentures are quite nice from Kulzer. They are heat cured after the PMMA try in. Quite an array of acrylic colours to choose from as well as the whole Kulzer line of premium teeth. Baltic Denture System also looks interesting as the puck to mill out is acrylic with real Merz denture teeth already processed on disc. Three sizes only though, small, medium large
They've currently top the heap in quality of product, as the processing method mirrors traditional means.
Everyone else is trying to mill and, often, lute together separate pieces.
Kulzer is processing their tooth line to their base resin in a flask/mold.
Only the trial is cad/cam.
If you'll recall, Kulzer's line since Mondial, Artic, and rest were the first cad generated tooth lines. When they launched they made a big deal about it.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out how the work flow goes.
Rather clever.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
They've currently top the heap in quality of product, as the processing method mirrors traditional means.
Everyone else is trying to mill and, often, lute together separate pieces.
Kulzer is processing their tooth line to their base resin in a flask/mold.
Only the trial is cad/cam.
If you'll recall, Kulzer's line since Mondial, Artic, and rest were the first cad generated tooth lines. When they launched they made a big deal about it.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out how the work flow goes.
Rather clever.

Does Kulzer still require you to send the try in to them for processing? I always thought that was strange, they use traditional processing methods but require us to send it to them so they can overcharge us for something we could do ourselves.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Does Kulzer still require you to send the try in to them for processing? I always thought that was strange, they use traditional processing methods but require us to send it to them so they can overcharge us for something we could do ourselves.

Universal workflow, whether you are a dentist or a lab. Also lets them have one more chance to make sure that it's not done improperly with negative consequences to their cad/cam branding effort.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Universal workflow, whether you are a dentist or a lab. Also lets them have one more chance to make sure that it's not done improperly with negative consequences to their cad/cam branding effort.

All while the lab risk there name on there quality. Who’s the dentist gonna call if something’s not correct? Imo the equipment/material manufactures need to stick to that and let us stick to the lab work. Instead most seem concerned with getting another piece of the pie. (As in doing part of the work and charging us for it)

As a owner I hate outsourcing. I’d much rather higher a member of my local community and pay them to do the work. I have more control over it and it keeps the money local.

With the kulzer system specifically I just don’t see the point of it. Atleast with the milled systems you can argue the fit and precision of the final product.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
With the above being said any system you can buy and bring into the lab and control all aspects of the manufacturing I’m completely open to. I just don’t like these systems that try to take work out of the labs hands. Kinda like Avadent. I know there now trying to go a different route but I’ll never forget that there original plans were to cut the labs out completely. We had a Dentsply Rep come by our Lab after they partnered with Avadent and I shut her down real quick when she started talking about them. She had no idea.

I’ll end my rant now [emoji23] just some thoughts that came to mind when reading this thread not directed towards anyone on here. Just outloud thinking...

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score

If my intuition about how the process works is correct, you have to send it to them.
The exception may be the premium, but only because it's waxed to the base as opposed to monolithic resin

Mind you, I am not privey to the process, but I made a close enough guess that one of their speakers got squirmy about answering