Dentist lacking in removable knowledge

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a young(er) dentist who is lacking in removable knowledge. What are the most important details that you as a denture technician need to know from the dentist?

1) And what are your thoughts on metal RPD vs flexible?

2) The local lab I use--patients complain that their flexible partials start becoming smelly pretty quickly just after a few years.. Is there a reason why?
There is another option that is called Hybride that combine the best of both. In cast partials, people do not like metal showing but it can be laser welded to add teeth, relined and it is a tooth born appliance. Years ago as I remember flexy partial were invented for people with allergic reaction to the metal. They are tissue born appliances, can not be relined and limited repairs most is not permanent ,there is no one option for all. Hybride does cover both satisfaction in aesthetics of the flexy and function of the cast. Yes there is no bond between the flexy material and the teeth just mechanical where in the cast there is a chemical bond between the tooth and the pink acrylic portion of the partial.

Z

zamboni

Reaction score
They are porous which creates smelly stains, can’t use rest seats therefore ridge takes a pounding.
If you Need to grind tooth heavy you are eliminating mechanical retention which is needed here.
Pain in the ass to adjust lab or chairside. If patients needs another tooth added in the future sometimes you will need to make a new one.We sometimes add with acrylic but don’t guarantee it.
I would recommend not doing these if there is only one single tooth on anterior specially lower ants.they usually pop off due to the lack of material, hell I would t do them at all

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
They are porous which creates smelly stains, can’t use rest seats therefore ridge takes a pounding.
If you Need to grind tooth heavy you are eliminating mechanical retention which is needed here.
Pain in the ass to adjust lab or chairside. If patients needs another tooth added in the future sometimes you will need to make a new one.We sometimes add with acrylic but don’t guarantee it.
I would recommend not doing these if there is only one single tooth on anterior specially lower ants.they usually pop off due to the lack of material, hell I would t do them at all
If you want it, I have a trick for addign to many them. It's enough to get them till another something gets made at least. Most will last for years, but I make zero promises.

S

SargentCangiano

Reaction score
I think metal parts are much more effective than flexible ones since they actively affect bones and teeth.

S

SargentCangiano

Reaction score
Of course, the aesthetic component of medical procedures is important for most people.

L

Limourchik

Reaction score
My advice to you is to request a consultation from professionals and not to look for advice on forums, especially when it concerns your job.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
There is a special cleaner that is available for these, but it's a specialty thing made by the flexible makers. If someone doesn't come up with the name of it off the top of their head, I'll go digging later.
Soap

Last edited:
M

mattpobrien4

Reaction score
It's not just one thing. It's all about getting the right information about the patient's lifestyle activities, medical history, chewing patterns, medical conditions, and so on, to help us decide on the most suitable denture option that will be comfortable and last a long time. As for the question about metal RPD vs flexible, they are all made out of substances like acrylic and/or plastic, but the difference lies in their physical properties. Flexible dentures, for example, are able to move and shake with the patients' mouth movements and are able to be eaten and enjoyed with hot, cold, and acidic foods, but they wear out quicker than a metal RPD. Metal RPDs, on the other hand, are more durable, hold together better through biting forces, and are meant to be worn and worn while they get thinner and thinner over time.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
It's not just one thing. It's all about getting the right information about the patient's lifestyle activities, medical history, chewing patterns, medical conditions, and so on, to help us decide on the most suitable denture option that will be comfortable and last a long time. As for the question about metal RPD vs flexible, they are all made out of substances like acrylic and/or plastic, but the difference lies in their physical properties. Flexible dentures, for example, are able to move and shake with the patients' mouth movements and are able to be eaten and enjoyed with hot, cold, and acidic foods, but they wear out quicker than a metal RPD. Metal RPDs, on the other hand, are more durable, hold together better through biting forces, and are meant to be worn and worn while they get thinner and thinner over time.
Where you been hiding...your needed here.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Patients love the aesthetics, feel, and fit of flexible partials until they inevitably need to have a tooth added and it isn't worth the time, labor, and supplies for labs to offer this so they usually won't. Then as the dentist you're left holding the bag telling the patient they need a brand new one.

That being said, I've found that patients that want cheap aesthetic work (i.e. no metal showing and don't want to pay for an implant retained bridge) are very happy with them... For a time.

As far as smelly-ness, water and dawn dish soap.