Dental Wings Trouble

• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
We purchased a DW 3 Series about 15 months ago. This fall, the system started to crash on me. At least once a day, I would get a "blue screen of death" during a scan. The system would reboot and I would have to start that scan over again. At the time, I was hoping the latest software upgrade would fix the problem. It did not, in fact it seemed to get worse. I figured out that the system crashes were occurring when I was placing the model jig into the scanner. The is a magnet which holds the jig in place. This causes the jig to "click" into place. Right as the jig clicks in place, the system crashes. It seems to me like the scanner has a loose connection somewhere in the hardware. I sent the scanner to Dental Wings to be fixed just before Christmas. It came back a month later. I hooked it up and it worked fine for a few days. On the day I was going to send back the loaner scanner, I experienced another crash.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Dental Wings is now saying that I should hook up my scanner again and wear latex gloves while scanning to see if maybe there is a static electricity problem. My issue with this fix is that the loaner scanner never crashed on me and it was hooked up and placed in the same position as my original scanner.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
The power button on most computers is incorperated into the USB system.

You may have issue with USB system drivers and or short somewhere?

You have good power supply in computer? No extra things hooked up?

No extra software you have installed? Like camera software for USB or external HD or other things?

Try to think and remember..look in the computer program files for weird stuff that is not Dental related maybe?

Nikon software from camera? Anything else??

This is just a shot in the dark. (My Flash is broken)

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I don't have anything extra attached to the scanner. No software has been installed. I do use the scanner to browse this website and post so maybe that is the issue. :) If it was a driver issue with the USB, how would I check for that?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Then again, Dental Wings just does that all the time. :D

Enjoy!

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
Brett,
no word on updates from the 5 series ( to bad for me) but just heard that the 3 series is due for new update to 64 bit and 12 unit multi die plate is or will soon be availible for around $995.00

Greg Amendola MDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Greg, I just got the email on this update. I have no need for the multi-die plate upgrade. What would the 64 bit upgrade do for me?

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
Faster times,4G of memory not 1G and better work flow

R

Ryan

Reaction score
I have been experiencing some problems as well with our 5s. Not necessarily full contour problems, but with the software freezing up during scanning. I have been speaking with dental wings directly, and they say that they do have plans to upgrade the 5S to 64bit in a few months. Just thought I would pass that along…..

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
Whey are teeling me that will be much soon

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Does dental wings save the scan data as a STL file?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Oh man! I need to get my hands on some scan files

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
i will give it do you when i will go to work,in 11 houres,please tell me that do you what?and if you need stl with antagonist.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
i will give it do you when i will go to work,in 11 houres,please tell me that do you what?and if you need stl with antagonist.

Yes, STL with antagonist.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Worked flawlessly;) Thanks ice_pascu!

dentalwings%2520import%25201.PNG

dentalwings%2520import%25202.PNG

dentalwings%2520import%25203.PNG
This is before positioning. Not bad at all.

ice_pascu

ice_pascu

Reaction score
And the second case?the implant case with antagonist

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
And the second case?the implant case with antagonist

Will try it next. Probably not going to work with the antagonist included in the same file. I need the antagonist as a separate STL file from the working model so exocad knows how to use it.