dental technologist NA, anyone use it??

orthodent

orthodent

Reaction score
SO I get tons of email from dental technologist NA (north america) and they propose a website that can take care of all my credits with a yearly membership. Since I am in ortho I do not have all the resources the dental field has and with my schedule and four kids four and under it is difficult to get re certified every year. Any one try this? Is it worth it?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
I hear you also get 10 records for only a penny at Columbia House?

Sounds good to me?

Is it worth it? Depends.....

My little brother graduated Dental School five years ago.

He still has no idea what a CDT is. Same with most of his class.

Dad is Dentist also, and even tought C&B. He has no idea either.

I hope you don't think being a CDT means anything to a Doc.

If so, you are wasting yoour time. If your state demands you be a

CDT, then sure. It's worth it.

Yeah, I'm sour at the whole CDT thing. I wish I had my money back

that I spent as a low-income employee trying to better myself by

getting certified. Boss didn't pay for education or getting tested.

Then, I realized that the CDT program is a for profit orginazation

run just like any other business. They only care about making a buck.

They never have and never will have the money needed to lobby for

changes in the system. Any extra cash goes into someones pockets,

not to actually help our field! Show me one shred of evidence that this

is not the case, and things are not changing at all.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
SO I get tons of email from dental technologist NA (north america) and they propose a website that can take care of all my credits with a yearly membership. Since I am in ortho I do not have all the resources the dental field has and with my schedule and four kids four and under it is difficult to get re certified every year. Any one try this? Is it worth it?

I get the same emails and wonder the same thing. There are a lot of free ways to get your credits . Go to NADL website and take the tests from the JDT articles. You don't have to pay hundreds of dollars or travel far unless you just want to to get education and CE credits. You can also get credits from Dental Town by viewing courses (infection control there too). The tests cost around $36 each. Most of the dental ads such as Zahn have articles and tests you can take and mail in and most of the manufactuirers have low cost and no cost courses you can take that travel around from city to city.
Dentsply has one in Dallas every year that costs $10 and you get breakfast and a decent lunch with it. You just have to ask around .

abdeutsch

abdeutsch

Reaction score
the value of the cdt

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am also a CDT, but realized that it aint worth much. Oh sure you can market it to clients, but most don't care. Which is why I chose to pursue Denturism. Went to George Brown College in Toronto, and am now enrolled in Bates TC in Tacoma, WA which will allow me to get licensed in Arizona where there are virtually no licensed denturists left. Great opportunity.

***, I also saw an earlier post of yours while surfing the net last night about a grinding box you had made by someone at I&Y Dental Studio in Ohio. I am moving my lab and trying to keep it dust free. Can you tell me if you know whether this guy is still making and selling these boxes? I'm dying to get one after I saw the pics you posted!

Arian Deutsch

G

gonecrazy

Reaction score
Yep !

Can't beat it.

If you are like me and can't afford to get to all the cross country meetings, this is the next best.

Videos ! Exams ! Credits !

All while my turkey is settling.

:D

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sour at the whole CDT thing. I wish I had my money back

that I spent as a low-income employee trying to better myself by

getting certified. Boss didn't pay for education or getting tested.Then, I realized that the CDT program is a for profit orginazation

run just like any other business. They only care about making a buck.

They never have and never will have the money needed to lobby for

changes in the system. Any extra cash goes into someones pockets,

not to actually help our field! Show me one shred of evidence that this

is not the case, and things are not changing at all.
Good Luck!

Scott, FIRST OFF YOUR ARE DEAD WRONG.
NADL is a trade association chartered with the IRS as a 501c6 trade association, with 1,483 dues paying members (including 91 suppliers, 43 state and regional dental laboratory associations)

NBC is chartered as a separate entity with the IRS as a 501 c6 not for profit organization. NBC has 6,900 Certified Dental Technicians, 385 Recognized Graduates (technicians who graduated from a dental technology school and passed an exam but have not met the years of experience to sit for the CDT exam yet )and 380 Certified Dental Laboratories. There are a sizable number of technicans who are in the midst of going for certification meaning they have applied to sit for the exams or taken at least one of the 3 exams required for certification not including in the 6,900 figure..

Obviously, whoever you worked for had no respect for the CDT credental, or any other credental for that matter. That's his own short sighted failing. In my lab, I encourage, support and promote the CDT, RDT and MDT credentaling process and I foot all the bill for my employees to participate, and I follow that up, with an automatic increase in skill level and pay rate.

In a post elsewhere on this website, people expressed shock and dismay that dental technicians have been reclassified as UNSKILLED labor. Perhaps that is a reflection of our own self worth, investment in the credentalling process.

The NADL and NBC have been there to represent YOU and everyone else in this industry, in sitting and testifying:

to Congress and the FDA, state governments and is your only liason to the hostile and predatory American Dental Association. Our industry has made leaps and bounds of progress in getting us recognized as the professionals we are, and have made valiant attempts to save our industry from ruin.

We are in a crisis situation, and I would even argue we are look at the sunset and death thores of the US lab industry if we don't act now. We don't need more people sitting on the sidelines asking "what are other people doing to help us?"

Please check your facts, and think about being educated and active in the only organization with your interests at heart. The association is made up of volunteers who donate tens of thousands of dollars, and hours away from their businesses and family to help YOU. Become a part of it before you criticize it.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am also a CDT, but realized that it aint worth much. Oh sure you can market it to clients, but most don't care. Which is why I chose to pursue Denturism. Went to George Brown College in Toronto, and am now enrolled in Bates TC in Tacoma, WA which will allow me to get licensed in Arizona where there are virtually no licensed denturists left. Great opportunity.

So, in other words, you chose to pursue a DIFFERENT credental? One that is worthless in all but a few places, and even then eyed with a bit of skepiticism from other professionals, ESPECIALLY the dentists you resent for not respecting your CDT.

I applaud you for seeking higher education, and i can say, I'd send my grandfather to a denturist for his dental care before I would any dentist educated after 1995. You have a lot to be proud of.

I would urge you to keep that CDT after your name, as it will become very important some day, I assure you! Besides that, it demonstrates your skill and other technicians respect what you did to deserve it, even if you don't. The pride we hold in our professional credentials is ours, and ours alone.

I'm very proud of what I do, and I don't feel inferior to anyone, regardless of the letters after their name. I earn THEIR respect with my knowledge and behavior...just as they must earn mine.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I have to think of NBC and NADL as separate entities, which they are but most people put them together. Personally, the NBC is great, love the idea of having professional goals like a national certification. It's great for your own personal confidence (which is huge in this business) and also if you have employees gives them something to strive for. The big benefit I used it for was when I was out looking for a job as a dental technician back in the day. That 'CDT' after my name got me a meeting with the boss of that lab, regardless of what it said on my resume or joe-smuck-a-noli's resume who came in after me, the CDT opened the door for me. Call it a title, a professional standard, a personal goal but it worked for me when I needed it. As for the NADL, as Mark stated, they are a trade association just like the ADA, and if you aren't a member they could give a rats @ss in my book about you. Which is sad because they could of stood up and rallied the troops per say to get the ADA have their Dentists disclose 'origin of country' to their patients, they could of done a NUMBER of other things other than run off to the government for FDA regulation...IMO. Which the crying shame of it all is when the 'fit hits the shan' who does everyone look to for any guidance?....the NADL (take the lead issue in Ohio for instance). Then again, what do I know, I'm just an unskilled worker that must do what OSHA, the STATE lawmakers, the FEDERAL lawmakers, the FDA, the IRS, COUNTY lawmakers, CITY lawmakers, say, then the real kicker, I'm the one PAYING (in taxes) them too........ On a side note though, and this is after listening to a panel discussion in Chicago last year, it's in my opinion that if we have any hope of changing anything for the better it has to be at the state level through state associations and maybe some of the state associations joining up together for a larger cause.....but for the simple folks like me, get involved in your state association please.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
As for the NADL, as Mark stated, they are a trade association just like the ADA, and if you aren't a member they could give a rats @ss in my book about you. Which is sad because they could of stood up and rallied the troops per say to get the ADA have their Dentists disclose 'origin of country' to their patients, they could of done a NUMBER of other things other than run off to the government for FDA regulation...IMO.

Wrong Rob. I can tell you, the NADL looks out for the best interests of every dental lab in the country. The ADA has a lot more members and a lot more money than we do. The NADL is working with several; states to enact COO notification. Please see my post under "what this industry needs" and you will see a part about "end user" definition. We must beat the ADA at their own game, and that is with an end run.

The NADL never approached the FDA until they took an interest in us, and even then got them to SOFTEN their stance not harden it. Go look it up Rob, please. Have I ever lied to you? Ever?

On a side note though, and this is after listening to a panel discussion in Chicago last year, it's in my opinion that if we have any hope of changing anything for the better it has to be at the state level through state associations and maybe some of the state associations joining up together for a larger cause.....but for the simple folks like me, get involved in your state association please.

Are you refering to the panel that I was on with Mark Murphy, Gordon Christenen and Ricki from the NADL? If so, you may remember that I took several people both on the panel and in the audience to task for allowing the off-shore stuff to get so out of control before acting on it. I got all red in the face and pointed fingers for goodness sakes!

Sometimes I feel like the only one on the battlefield Rob.

The NADL is involved in the state (even the states who don't have NADL affiliates) and federal levels. One NADL board member has the legislation written and about to be signed...you'll see, I promise you. Again, what do I have to gain by lying to you?

Mark

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Mark, I've been on this forum for a few years and I've opened up more to the NADL personally. Heck, go back to some of my early posts three years ago (another reason why I like DLN over some of the email forums) and you'll see, I was a true prick to most of everything that association stood for because I truly felt the NADL dropped the ball when it came to offshore (their stance),the FDA (promoting more government regulation),and not seeing the bigger picture in it's entirety. Then the conspiracy theories start to flood in because who is representing the NADL......LARGE LABS. Could they want more regulation to force the small labs out of business? That was truly my thoughts awhile back and you and I had some heartfelt conversations (personally, on IDF and DT). I got the feeling that IF that was the case, if their was a hidden agenda or they weren't looking at the bigger picture and including the small labs then you would speak up, I respected you for that comment and have never forgot it.

However, we could all get in the same room and have thousands of ideas (just like Chicago) and never really get anything out of it. And yes, I was talking about the panel discussion you were on with Dr. Murphy, Dr. Christenson, Bob, Rikki, and yourself (and a couple others). That turned into a pissing match about offshoring which I tried to stand up and voice my opinion and TRY to get something productive out of it. In which, the questions/answers from Rikki I asked in that public forum I know put her and the NADL on the spot but when we all left, we had an agenda, something productive......get active with your state associations. So I've back pedaled some on the NADL, not totally because I think they could of done some things totally different a few years ago and today for that matter......heck, look at South Africa and offshoring (throw your @ss in jail for offshoring)..........and trust me, I'm not bagging on you personally, because I know you have an affiliation with the powers to be at NADL either, like I said, you may be all some of us have for a saving grace in that particular arena........and maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the NADL, we are dealing with a ton of politics with even more money than us, the David vs. Goliath analogy.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Then the conspiracy theories start to flood in because who is representing the NADL......LARGE LABS. Could they want more regulation to force the small labs out of business? That was truly my thoughts awhile back and you and I had some heartfelt conversations (personally, on IDF and DT).

You know, most of the big labs who are NADL members, and ACTIVE in the association is smaller than you think. The difference is, that the people who get active are the ones who have a lot to lose if things go bad!!

I get on forums like these, and I talk to small labs about this stuff, and they either tune out, or throw stones, or scoff at the laws and carry on as usual. If small labs get hammered it will be apathy that gets then, not the NADL.

because I know you have an affiliation with the powers to be at NADL either, like I said, you may be all some of us have for a saving grace in that particular arena........and maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the NADL, we are dealing with a ton of politics with even more money than us, the David vs. Goliath.

I am on the board of directors, but only under duress. I am not the kind of guy who can sit back and watch things happen to me and my business and not have something to say about it. I try to look out for everybodies interests and not just my own.

People may get really bored with all the FDA stuff and that's fine, but it's part of our businesses now, so better pull our heads from the sand and deal with it. Strength in numbers. Join and participate at some level.

Mark

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's to late to bltch and moan about it now......the FDA is here, it's not like it's going away (when has government ever deleted a regulation/department/law?...like never). So with that in mind.......and to keep this productive and me from rehashing my obscure opinions about the NADL, what is happening in the NADL currently? You mentioned some new state law in regards to patient disclosure, can you go more into that please? What about in coming months? or in the future? In addition, if anyone has questions, throw them out there, including about becoming FDA compliant or registered. I know we beat around that bush some on another thread but there is a bunch of stuff that goes into becoming FDA compliant.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I know we beat around that bush some on another thread but there is a bunch of stuff that goes into becoming FDA compliant.

In a nutshell, here is all you have to do to be FDA compliant, assuming you keep the proper documentation:

1) Carefully scrutinize the companies we choose to do business with, only selecting vendors with a proven track record of producing quality products, providing excellent training and standing behind those products. If it's a new company, or a little company, you are taking chances. There is one company who I have spoken about here who is private labeling zirconia. When I had problems with a product I bought from them, they went into radio silence and quit returning calls or e-mails. Would you stake your reputation and bank account on this kind of company? Do they have FDA registration for the application they are advertising, and do you have all the FDA mandated packaging and markings?

I'm not saying not to do business with little companies, but do your due diligence, ask around, post some questions on Dental Town etc, and inquire about warnings or complaints by the FDA. Pay them a visit.

2) Review your products annually. What is an acceptable remake percentage? How is this product performing in-house and introarally? What is in the scientific (CRA) literature about it? Are the reports from the field favorable? Are you finding that certain types of cases are working better or worse than others? Does your experience contradict the manufacturers indicated uses? Should you keep doing this product?

3) Update your standard operation procedures and manufacturing protocol. Are you following the manufacturers most up-to-date instructions for use? Has anything been changed or updated since you were trained on the product, have they changed any parameters, formulas or materials? Have they added or changed any indications, contraindications? If you were trained by a contracted technician, did he teach you any shortcuts or tricks that disagree with the instructions for use? Did you get any certificates or licensing documentation? Is it properly filed and can it be renewed annually? Even if it's voluntary, do it. You need it if you start having failures.

Be sure every technician who touches a product is trained and documented to do that work, and keep track of everyone who touched a case. Never try out a new technician on a real case, and do not play with new techniques or materials on live cases.

4) Are you calibrated? We all saw the failures reported when zirconia frames were not being fired at the right temperatures and rate of climb. Those were just very minor differences, and they still looked perfect even though they were flawed. How will your products be affected if your equipment is not performing properly, and temperatures are too high or too low, or timing and cycle sequencing are off? If these products fail because of your machinery, whose fault is it? Yours or theirs?

5) Control Inventory. Have a strict process for who has access to materials that might be mishandled, contaminated or expired. Do not mix and match old materials and if new materials are released, resist your hoarding instincts and dispose of them. Have a process for checking that the materials you receive are what you ordered, and that you have a system in place to identify materials in the event of a recall. Only use qualified vendors and do not substitute any restorative constituents. Die stone yes. Opaque, NO.

6) Failures and corrective action The FDA has guidelines of what kind of products need to be reported in the event of a failure, and I have posted that material here before. Regardless of if you need to report failures, you still need to track them. The same thing with complaints or other problems. You also need a process for evaluating and taking corrective action. If you still have failures or if you suspect a product is faulty, you can still report this to the FDA. Maybe you are not alone, and lots of these things are going bad.

Do not be tempted to troubleshoot these problems yourself. If you have impeccable documentation that you are properly certified, and following SOP's to the letter, if your materials are fresh and unadulterated, and your equipment is working properly and is calibrated and maintained, the liability falls back on the manufacturer. But as soon as you start playing mad scientist, all bets are off and you alone hold the bag my friends, and the FDA (and the manufacturers whom you are making look bad) would love to see your little shop of horrors closed down.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
"I talk to small labs about this stuff, and they either tune out, or throw stones, or scoff at the laws and carry on as usual. If small labs get hammered it will be apathy that gets then, not the NADL."

That's a very astute statement. Having had a chance at participation on the local level, I have to say the apathy and bitching are enough to drive one to drink.
Christ descending on a golden cloud couldn't offer a solution they'd agree with, and I've come to the conclusion that the carping isn't about fixing anything...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I have to follow those guideline and more in here Canada Mark.

In fact you haven't even touched on patient relations, infection control, and even jurisprudence.

I think you should be able let the public be aware of your requirements and standards.

Top Bottom