Dental photography

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Going to practice on an employee tomorrow and will post my results for critique.

Jason

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Good for you Jason,I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
web.jpg

Still looks washed out. I need to adjust Aperture too. I tried on Aperture priority but the shutter slowed waaay down. Very blurry pics and I could not adjust shutter speed. I used TV mode and it seemed to do better but everything is not as sharp as I would like and seems washed out.

Just got in a six unit anterior and there are no pre op photos but the Doc said I could come and take several at the seating and an 8 unit same situation different Doc. So hopefully I can learn enough from you guys before then.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Jason - we solved this problem about 18 posts ago. Its at the top/middle of the previous page in this thread.

The reason you're getting washed out images in Aperture priority, is your custom function is incorrectly set. Set your custom function flash sync speed to 1/200 or whatever is closest for your camera. Then use the iso 200, ƒ whatever you want, and let the shutter float - it will apply enough light to fill your frame without slowing your shutter that way.

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Jon, I think I am having the same issue. I found it in custom settings and chose it but when I tried aperture priority it was like a 5 sec shutter speed. I got good results on manual with iso 200, f/20 but a little too dark. Turned up flash a little and trans starts to disappear. So the less light the slower shutter speed right? Higher io helps but can over expose photo right? Sorry, probably like trying to explain a tv to a caveman....have to back up and explain electricity first lol!!

Thanks,
Jason

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Jon, been playing around this evening for awhile and actually getting 20 to 40sec shutter speeds?? I made sure I had set the custom functon flash sync speed in av mode to #2: 1/200sec. (fixed). Tried it with built in flash as well with the same results. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Does it matter that I am not using a canon brand flash? Using a twin wireless set up. Transmitter plugs in hot shoe.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Just found that my flash does not support ETTL. Sending it back tuesday.....I think a wise man named Jon said don't go cheap or you will regret it..and it was not that cheap.

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Too bad you got a bum flash Jason. I got the MT-24 twin flash and it works great. It will also impress your docs. It's a serious setup.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Sorry - I'm just now able to check in and see the progress. You are right Jason, it requires ETTL. The ring flash or the twin light. If you will be shooting a lot of intra-orals, the ring is easier - but close up work on the bench benefits from the twin light - although they can be interchangeable.
You can use a non-ETTL flash - but everything is manual and I mean everything and you have to play with the settings until they are perfect. Often doing intra-orals doesn't allow much playing around - the drs want you in there and then back out quickly. That $800 an hour chair time thing sorta bugs them when you're messing with the camera.

J

Jorge

Reaction score
Just found that my flash does not support ETTL. Sending it back tuesday.....I think a wise man named Jon said don't go cheap or you will regret it..and it was not that cheap.

ETTL flash is an option, manual flash is another option.
When you use flash on the go, I mean on dinamic situation, then ETTL is very useful.

If your object is not moving and the distance is fixed (for each magnification it is) then you can use a flash meter or determine the needed powed by trial and error (easy and cheap on a digital camera)

So before returning it you can try your manual flash at 1/2, 1/4 etc power.
I already provided in this thread a table for Canon ring flash MR-14EX in manual mode.

If your manual flash has no way to reduce power to 1/2 etc then return it, no doubt.

Canon flash will always be better because you can choose, E-TTL or manual mode so if money is not a problem get a Canon flash.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Jorge, money has never been a problem for me, just for my wife and the bank;). I will most likely go with the Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite in the near future. I wish they could incorporate a combination twin flash/ring light in one unit. The MT-24EX is running around $800 so I am shopping around on Ebay etc to see if I can come across a good deal.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ok trying another twin flash. ISO 100, F/22, Shutter 1/200 and Aperture Priority Finally! Sorry about same crown over and over just convenient and I thought it would be good to compare the same one. Like all the advise I can get. I will be trying it out on employee monday.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__bsz81MYN0bo_TelP6rEfBtI_AAAAAAAAEk8_1w1IBx0gX_I_s800_IMG_1564.jpg
alh3.googleusercontent.com__bsz81MYN0bo_TelP6rEfBtI_AAAAAAAAEk8_1w1IBx0gX_I_s800_IMG_1564.jpg

S

stevenson

Reaction score
The aim of dental photography is to give the patient a clear photograph of their teeth. This can be achieved with automatic settings but it is good to know how to control your camera if the automatic settings do not work with your lighting conditions...

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
A photographer controls all of the conditions relating to capturing an image - even the automatic ones!

I am a firm believer in being able to control a camera manually - but it is foolish to ignore the fact that the scientists who developed the algorithms for these amazingly advanced instruments we call cameras are a lot smarter than most of the photographers who use them - even the "professional" photographers.

Occam's razor tells us "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one." and using the camera and flash in the way it is designed to do, does the job that a lot of jumping through hoops in the same effort is a lot of wasted energy.

I will repeat - if you are on a deadline or in an office to take intra-oral photos - you don't have time to work out exposure values or do trial and error photography. Learn how to capture an image that works, quickly and without a lot of fanfare. If your current equipment won't do that, then save for the day you can buy equipment that can.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Nicely done, Jason - I have much respect for your tenacity and accomplishments. You said you were trying "another" twin flash. Is this different than the previous one - or is it another try at the same one? Also could you describe it, brand, type, what it will and won't do? Some third party flash units are pretty advanced and can do nearly anything a Canon or Nikon flash can do. I'm just curious.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
JonB, I am trying out an Opteka RL-600 Macro Ring Flash. Supports Canons ETTL and has manual settings for varied strengths of flash. You can flip a switch that allows you to use left, right or both when you take your shot. $89!! So I figured why not.

I took my 1st patient photos today and.......I kinda bombed.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__u0Qi21Ckhok_TfFo9_Dj85I_AAAAAAAAElw_uEHErn__mx4_s800_IMG_1599.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__mc_wTvMjufQ_TfFpF_ALASI_AAAAAAAAEmM_YtXcnMJ1Kkk_s800_IMG_1602.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__vDRVaTxHC30_TfFpArDxS_I_AAAAAAAAEl8_QG8tKAYTk1Q_s800_IMG_1600.jpg
alh4.googleusercontent.com__u0Qi21Ckhok_TfFo9_Dj85I_AAAAAAAAElw_uEHErn__mx4_s800_IMG_1599.jpg alh4.googleusercontent.com__mc_wTvMjufQ_TfFpF_ALASI_AAAAAAAAEmM_YtXcnMJ1Kkk_s800_IMG_1602.jpg alh5.googleusercontent.com__vDRVaTxHC30_TfFpArDxS_I_AAAAAAAAEl8_QG8tKAYTk1Q_s800_IMG_1600.jpg

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
WOW - that looks like the Swiss Army Knife of ring flashes! Its got it all, ring, twin, plus the little kickers on top and bottom - that should be fun to play with. If it is truly ETTL then it will only take a little to get good results and who knows where you can go with it. I'm all for experimentation and the price is right.

Top Bottom