Dental I/O scan workflows

C

charles007

Reaction score
Do you guys insist the doc marks the margins ? I would. I just started working with IOS this week and the docs are marking the margins.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I try especially with the new accounts. Two reasons
1. It forces them to take some responsibility for the margin on that crown. That’s a win for me.
2. the education the get when they see the tissue tags and saliva pulls it helps them to know what to look for on future cases.
the other positive that comes from them doing the margin can be if they do it while patient is on the chair prior to applying temporary they can fix issues and rescan right then and avoid a recall appt
just my two bits.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
My Trios drs don't have to but my Medit drs do.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
He's on 3sheep's payroll Dontknow
I'll have you know I'm an official system owner and community member.
I have the mouse pad, pen, and coffee mug to prove it.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Hate is a strong word. It's a good scanner but not for the nerdically challenged
I can actually agree with that, I have shaken my head several times the way they have developed new features. However, they have been receptive to any requests or bugs I sent to them. Some were fixed immediately which I thought was awesome. The color is different, trios shows a prettier scan on the screen. Other than that, pretty much the same from my end...rkm, you owe me a beer...making me say something nice about that racket a.k.a. 3shape :p

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I can actually agree with that, I have shaken my head several times the way they have developed new features. However, they have been receptive to any requests or bugs I sent to them. Some were fixed immediately which I thought was awesome. The color is different, trios shows a prettier scan on the screen. Other than that, pretty much the same from my end...rkm, you owe me a beer...making me say something nice about that racket a.k.a. 3shape :p
I'm not sure we're allowed to make friends with Mericans anymore.
Maybe when we open the border to those of you fleeing oppression from Dr Suess and Mr. Rogers.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
.p.s. my Medit Dr just found the " close holes" feature after a year of using it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Hate is a strong word. It's a good scanner but not for the nerdically challenged
not for the technically adept

a one button scanner with a surprising number of buttons to push and play with.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
not for the technically adept

a one button scanner with a surprising number of buttons to push and play with.
yes, some drs like all the features and others just want to scan and be done with it.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Can't speak for Trios but I don't see how Medit IOS scans can get more clear unless you want to add shades of the prep and tissue shade... lol
On a serious note, in the last several days I designed my very first 8 units coming off Medit i500, in-house setting from many doctors and the margins were crystal crystal clear !!! Maybe this is not the norm but I don't see how the scans can look any better unless the coloring was improved but who cares, This particular doctor didn't use cord on his cases. The scanned margins were so clean I asked if used double string......... I did see a couple scans that were rejected back to other doctors to clean up/mark their own margins. Having never seen IOS first hand I'm overwhelmed with this technology. Tomorrow I will be going in to MiYO a large handful of model-less crowns.... any tips in keeping up with crowns with no model, no printed on paper of screen shots of the crown.. Dontknow

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Can't speak for Trios but I don't see how Medit IOS scans can get more clear unless you want to add shades of the prep and tissue shade... lol
On a serious note, in the last several days I designed my very first 8 units coming off Medit i500, in-house setting from many doctors and the margins were crystal crystal clear !!! Maybe this is not the norm but I don't see how the scans can look any better unless the coloring was improved but who cares, This particular doctor didn't use cord on his cases. The scanned margins were so clean I asked if used double string......... I did see a couple scans that were rejected back to other doctors to clean up/mark their own margins. Having never seen IOS first hand I'm overwhelmed with this technology. Tomorrow I will be going in to MiYO a large handful of model-less crowns.... any tips in keeping up with crowns with no model, no printed on papaer of screen shots of the crown.. Dontknow
Hi Charles, and to clarify my 'color' comment. Trios scans have a richer, much more life like compared to Medit scans. It's just a nicer color...the 3sheeps have an argument that it's easier to match shades for the ceramist but for anything else they are just blowing smoke because let's be honest together...it all gets transferred to a .stl so as long as the data is great, it's just all data in the long run. Some folks prefer to be the windshield while some folks prefer to be the bug.

As for model less, I personally haven't dived into that realm because to print a model doesn't take but a few mins to design and a couple dollars worth of resin. Plus it gives me security that my cad/cam is consistent each and every time, is why I haven't gone model less.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Well Rob, if I get a pink slip this Fri I will blame rkm on the contacts and occlusion.
I'm good but not model-less good........ Laugh

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
On a serious note, in the last several days I designed my very first 8 units coming off Medit i500, in-house setting from many doctors and the margins were crystal crystal clear !!! Maybe this is not the norm but I don't see how the scans can look any better unless the coloring was improved but who cares, This particular doctor didn't use cord on his cases. The scanned margins were so clean I asked if used double string......... I did see a couple scans that were rejected back to other doctors to clean up/mark their own margins. Having never seen IOS first hand I'm overwhelmed with this technology. Tomorrow I will be going in to MiYO a large handful of model-less crowns.... any tips in keeping up with crowns with no model, no printed on paper of screen shots of the crown.. Dontknow
you could engrave the inside of the crown with a case number

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Is it possible to import the margins the dr picked from 3shape into exocad? What files do I need?
Currently the dr is sending me .ply files (upper/lower/bite),and things seem to be working ok other than the margins.
Also, is it preferable to have the stl files (too)?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
So at this point in our iOS journey,
Importing Trios scans into exocad is as much fun as importing Medit scans into 3 Shape.