Dental I/O scan workflows

J

John C

Reaction score
In regards to Cerec. I recently started receiving files from a doctor. Im a new user and using the doctor as a reference. I was able to buy a dongle from HS for about $150. and got a free license from Cerec and installed a Cerec Connect Portal to import cases.

J

John C

Reaction score
I have another Dr. who is doing a demo on an itero system. The sales rep called me and said he would set me up with the top tier software for labs for free if I help convince the Dr. go through with the purchase. He sent me a contract to docusign to get the the software. I havent signed anything yet. Im waiting to talk to the doctor. Anyone have any horror stories to share with me? To me this seems a little weird that they want to give me a $5000. software package for free. Whats the catch?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Every Dr that buys a Cerec gets to give the license to a lab of his choice. I told my contact no thank you.
I replace Cerec crowns very often.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have another Dr. who is doing a demo on an itero system. The sales rep called me and said he would set me up with the top tier software for labs for free if I help convince the Dr. go through with the purchase. He sent me a contract to docusign to get the the software. I havent signed anything yet. Im waiting to talk to the doctor. Anyone have any horror stories to share with me? To me this seems a little weird that they want to give me a $5000. software package for free. Whats the catch?
The catch is the Dr will be paying monthly fees to them until the machine is in the dumpster. Give away the printer if you can lock them in on the ink refills scam.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Every Dr that buys a Cerec gets to give the license to a lab of his choice. I told my contact no thank you.
I replace Cerec crowns very often.
Sorry @John C
I should learn to read better. I thought it was Cerec being discussed.
If you can get the itero costs paid for you, do it!

doug

doug

Reaction score
I wish I had a doc with a license to give away. I paid for it. Granted it has made me enough money to cover it, but money is money.

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
Just received some files from a Planmeca IOS (not sure which model, I'll have to ask the doc if it makes a difference). Files are upper/lower/bite (both ply and stl) and an xml file.
Any info on how to directly import the job in exocad? I don't have the "Import from Planmeca..." on my load screen. I managed to make it work, but I'd like to know if there's a more direct method to this (not that it took that much time tbh).

What I did:
-set the job normally (Inlay/onlay),selected "digital scan" on the Scan option
-clicked on design, and loaded both files as requested (jaws relation looked somewhat correct)
-imported the bite alignment scan, and aligned the jaws
-now I work it as usual

Am I correct here, am i missing something?

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
Good morning @apostolis159 :

If you would like to auto-import those Planmecas, you will need to add the line <ScanImport04Enabled>1</ScanImport04Enabled>
to your defaultsettings-db.xml located in your Exocad install -> DentalDB -> config

You can add this line under the existing one for 01(iTero) 02(3M) and 03(Trios)

Once you relaunch the DB you should see the option under load - import. If I recall the .xml file is the import file the Planmeca import asks for.

- Josh

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Just received some files from a Planmeca IOS (not sure which model, I'll have to ask the doc if it makes a difference). Files are upper/lower/bite (both ply and stl) and an xml file.
Any info on how to directly import the job in exocad? I don't have the "Import from Planmeca..." on my load screen. I managed to make it work, but I'd like to know if there's a more direct method to this (not that it took that much time tbh).

What I did:
-set the job normally (Inlay/onlay),selected "digital scan" on the Scan option
-clicked on design, and loaded both files as requested (jaws relation looked somewhat correct)
-imported the bite alignment scan, and aligned the jaws
-now I work it as usual

Am I correct here, am i missing something?

If you would like to auto-import those Planmecas, you will need to add the line <ScanImport04Enabled>1</ScanImport04Enabled>
to your defaultsettings-db.xml located in your Exocad install -> DentalDB -> config

Once you relaunch the DB you should see the option under load - import. If I recall the .xml file is the import file the Planmeca import asks for.

- Josh
ALWAYS create a backup file before changing anything!

Rename it from blahblah.foo to blahblah.foo.bak and then you can revert easily.
It's way to simple to accidentally edit something you didn't mean to and didn't know you did.

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score

- Josh
I thought it would be in there somewhere, but it's better to ask such things in case something goes wrong. Even if I do take backups when I mess with xmls.
Thanks!

ALWAYS create a backup file before changing anything!

Rename it from blahblah.foo to blahblah.foo.bak and then you can revert easily.
It's way to simple to accidentally edit something you didn't mean to and didn't know you did.
I am familiar with editing xml files, but thanks for writing it down. If not for me, for somebody else that is unfamiliar with tampering with such files.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be in there somewhere, but it's better to ask such things in case something goes wrong. Even if I do take backups when I mess with xmls.
Thanks!

I am familiar with editing xml files, but thanks for writing it down. If not for me, for somebody else that is unfamiliar with tampering with such files.
Thanks for understanding. How I learned that little bit was when I edited explorer.exe to say somethign other than Start on the start button and forgot the nulls are alt255 and not spaces. er..whoops!

M

molarmaker

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread because to be honest, I googled it and much didn't come up with specifics. So please, add to it, especially if I detailed something wrong or as new pathways change.

Trios (Trios inbox to Exocad). -
So we wanted to accept Trios scans but we have Exocad. Naturally, the Docs could use dropbox or some form of large file transfer program but humans, including Docs are lazy and want to use the transfer file service (trios inbox communicate) that it comes with. So lab needs to purchase the Trios inbox....here is the actual email from Argen (which we used) to help you decide.
Can you please confirm you would like to go with OPTION 1 or OPTION 2? (Please see below).

Once I have your confirmation I will send you the agreement. Thank you and looking forward to hear from you.
Two options for accepting Trios Files for NON-3shape scanner customer labs.

Option1:
Purchase a in 3Shape Communicate Inbox Stand Alone Trios Inbox Stand Alone Dongle = $1,650 ($750/year to renew)

Allows them to accept TRIOS .3OXZ file into a Trios Inbox and convert and export as a .STL file before design.
This can then be imported into your system (example. Exocad System or Sirona System, Dental Wings etc.) as a .STL for designing
Drawbacks: Lab may lose some data in the conversion process from .3OXZ to .STL (color, margin line sharpness etc.)

Option 2:
Purchase a Dental System Stand Alone Dongle (either Crown and Bridge or Premium)
Allows them to accept TRIOS .3OXZ file into a Trios Inbox and then they will design the TRIOS case within the 3shape Dental Designer Design Software.
Drawbacks - TRIOS file cannot be exported as a .STL file prior to design so the lab must design the TRIOS file in this 3shape Design system, can no longer design in your system as with option 1.
Dental Designer Crown and Bridge = $4,000 ($1250/year to renew)
Dental Designer Premium = $6,000 ($1950/year to renew)

On either the Dental System Crown and Bridge or Dental System Premium you can purchase Add on modules to design other indications and or import .STL scanned files.

We decided on Option 1...then about a week later we received a 3Shape dongle. Then we called Argen back up and they teamviewered and installed 'dental designer software' which you will need to incorporate your trios files into Exocad.

Medit scans to exocad or 3shape -
Lab must create an account with Meditlink...simple and free. Partner up with your Doc and then your off. This meditlink has a built-in in Cad/Cam platform into it, makes it simple to open your 3Shape or Exocad, or transfer the files to printer or mill station. That's all free too and on the cloud. I will say, the Medit i-500 does take .stl's. However as many already know that do scans, .stl's are not in color. The Medit i-500 offers the Docs to scan in .obj or .ply along with .stl. The .obj and .ply are in color for Exocad users. Currently I don't believe 3Shape accepts .obj or .ply files, so no color for you. I'm big on color...well duhhh, pretty easy to see where that margin is when you can see the difference between pink and white. For the lab side, everything from the meditlink is free and open...sign up.

3M TruDef -
You will need to set up an account with 3M connection center. It doesn't cost anything. Recently I received a case and noticed this pathway has changed (it's been awhile since I received my previous scan so this may be old news). However, it use to be where the scan had to be sent to a 'margin marking' approved lab, then sent to 3M's model lab for any models. Now today, it looks like once you get the email your Doc sent you a scan, you can right onto the connection platform and download the .stl's or other files and you're off to the races to do whatever you want with the files (i.e. make crown, print models, etc..).

CareStream -
Haven't received any in awhile and scared to comment to what the current pathway is...please share if someone knows specifics.

Cerec Connect -
Make a cerec connect account and then you can receive the files from their platform. I was under the impression that access to their platform was going to be open and free for labs but as of recently I've heard it was going to cost around 4K to access the platform. I haven't dived completely into this yet because I wasn't ever sold on red cam, blue cam, omnicam was better, but the primescan does look very promising but I won't go after clients with primescan if it's going to cost 4K per year to access...that's ridiculous.

Itero -
Haven't done any in quite awhile...back in the day it use to be the lab called Itero and they had three software/hardware options for labs with differing prices. The software allowed you to get the platform that would accept itero scans...from their depending on what option you have, you could mark the margins, have doctor approve margins and order up the Milled models from Itero. I hated these models from Day 1, ceramists nightmare. As of today, I haven't looked into it and/or the prices or the pathway. So I ask all of you to feel free to add the information here.

Planmeca/Emerald -
I believe these two are one in the same but if not, correct me. I have no idea, never have received a file from either.

This goes along with other I/O scanners out there, if you have detailed information on some, or I'm misinformed, feel free to share the correct information. I see this trend of scans increasing drastically over the next decade (at least here in the states). If you do add information...please use the format I did above...helps others sort out the nonsense. (bold print scanner) - detailed lab information below. If you have snied ass comments about certain platforms or scanners...well guess what?...so do i. I really tried to keep it informational though.
A great thread at a great time thanks

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
A great thread at a great time thanks
Thanks.

Sirona/Cerec/Primescan/Omnicam Update.
-If one of your Docs buys the Primescan scanner from Sirona your Doc is given a code that he can give to any lab, just once. It allows that lab to accept scans (Cerec portal) from any Primescan or Omnicam scanner out there. It lasts forever. I was fortunate enough to have one of my Docs do this recently which opened my lab to accept from other Docs that couldn't send Cerec scans before.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think I'
Thanks.

Sirona/Cerec/Primescan/Omnicam Update.
-If one of your Docs buys the Primescan scanner from Sirona your Doc is given a code that he can give to any lab, just once. It allows that lab to accept scans (Cerec portal) from any Primescan or Omnicam scanner out there. It lasts forever. I was fortunate enough to have one of my Docs do this recently which opened my lab to accept from other Docs that couldn't send Cerec scans before.
Think I'm going docter shoppin.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
FYI: You can create a MeditLink account as Clinical Admin and a Lab Admin if you wish. The application installation is the same but if you log in as clinical admin you will be presented with the MeditLink lab version. For Exocad and Maestro Studio users, the Lab version allows bridging to Exocad or Maestro Studio directly for a better workflow. On version 2.1 (right now in beta stage) they are going to include a scan body library and the ability to draw margins. Keep in mind that with the Medit i500 you can scan impressions if you need to add additional information to a case and soon they will be adding the ability of watertight the arches with ortho bases for clear aligner cases. The scanner keeps getter better
can you tell me what a Dr needs to do to create a dentalproject file for exocad in the i500 setup?
I have a Dr new to the I500 and when he sent the first file it included the project file. since then it does not. I'd like it included as it integrates great that way including margin he picks.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
can you tell me what a Dr needs to do to create a dentalproject file for exocad in the i500 setup?
I have a Dr new to the I500 and when he sent the first file it included the project file. since then it does not. I'd like it included as it integrates great that way including margin he picks.
in his iScan settings or he can do this after he scans via the 'modify' tab he needs to select .obj file instead of the .stl which creates the files you want.

DAL Claxton

DAL Claxton

Reaction score
The doctor doesn't need to create a .dentalproject on their end. The meditlink software is free, so they should just send it to you instead of exporting it and sending it through email. Once you receive it in your inbox, accept it, then go to workbox - CAD - Save - Export to wherever (preferably your CAD-Data folder) Once you've saved it, you should see that meditlink is also exporting the .dentalproject folder. All files should be with it including Dr. hand-picked margins.

If you want to streamline, you can have Exocad DB look at a folder for importing dentalshare files to auto-import if it's a newer build. Just export the meditlink folders there once saved for CAD and your DB will auto import.

If you still don't get your .dentalproject files you may need to go to Meditlink settings and attach it to your Exocad DentalCADApp.exe so it knows you're rolling with the cool kids at Exocad :cool:

apostolis159

apostolis159

Reaction score
A doctor I work with, just purchased a Trios scanner. I work with exocad.
She did sent me a test case, by exporting .ply files (just upper, lower, and left/right bites). Looks ok, colour and occlusion both correct.
Is there a way to get the data for the margin lines too?
Would it be better if she sent me the full project files in 3ox/z-whatever-format and me importing it to exocad that way?
She is local to where my lab is, and I don't think we need to get into using 3shape inbox for now as the doc is willing to just export and send me files via wetransfer/dropbox.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
The doctor doesn't need to create a .dentalproject on their end. The meditlink software is free, so they should just send it to you instead of exporting it and sending it through email. Once you receive it in your inbox, accept it, then go to workbox - CAD - Save - Export to wherever (preferably your CAD-Data folder) Once you've saved it, you should see that meditlink is also exporting the .dentalproject folder. All files should be with it including Dr. hand-picked margins.

If you want to streamline, you can have Exocad DB look at a folder for importing dentalshare files to auto-import if it's a newer build. Just export the meditlink folders there once saved for CAD and your DB will auto import.

If you still don't get your .dentalproject files you may need to go to Meditlink settings and attach it to your Exocad DentalCADApp.exe so it knows you're rolling with the cool kids at Exocad :cool:
Thanks guys. All has been rolling quite nicely for awhile now.
appreciate y’all
E

Top Bottom