Dental I/O scan workflows

Mark H

Mark H

3 shape lab wanting to import primescan stl's - I understand the Sirona has the bite information attached to the STLs of the upper and lower arches?
Looking for insight into how to make this articulate.

Thanks in advance.

Gru

Gru

This thread is likely to be one of the greatest in value to me of all time.Thanks LabGuy!

For anyone who can answer:
I use Exo, but not sure that should matter.
Which I/O scans suffer the least loss when translated to open .stl format?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
This thread is likely to be one of the greatest in value to me of all time.Thanks LabGuy!

For anyone who can answer:
I use Exo, but not sure that should matter.
Which I/O scans suffer the least loss when translated to open .stl format?
A good question...not really sure. I use Exo too and I don't really see much loss of information. I know the scanners are getting better and better, able to capture more and more data with every update. I'm curious if it's even clinically significant at this day and age.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Staff member
Donator
A good question...not really sure. I use Exo too and I don't really see much loss of information. I know the scanners are getting better and better, able to capture more and more data with every update. I'm curious if it's even clinically significant at this day and age.
The definition of clinically significant has progressively been degraded to a point that a technician retiring 30 years ago would throw a full scale tantrum at the 'quality' that is sometimes acceptable today. When I last made PFMs 4 years ago we fought for 25 micron margins and checked under 10x scopes. Now we're okay with nearly half a mm of stacked error in our systems.

I'm pleased with the advances of materials, technology and techniqes, but I have lots of misgivings about what we've done with them.

We've become suppliers to WalMart. With bespoke prices to the end users. And it's really bothering me.

Gru

Gru

Let me clarify my question of "loss". When a Cerec scan is designed in Cerec and sent straight to the mill, it appears under a 10x microscope to be superior to the same file sent to inLab and produced.

Further, take a Medit scan by a scan only lab, and send to another Exo system to design and mill. I know for certain the parameters need to be adjusted to make the restoration fit the original model, while a scan in house and produced on the same system has a different fit.

Does all translation degrade quality?

Guest Room
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    Room has been pruned!
    Chat Bot: Room has been pruned!
    Top Bottom