Darker than C4

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Got a pt with Really grey teeth. C4 looks like an A1 in comparison. Any suggestions?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Violet
add it to your C4 shade tab to experiment

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Ivoclar Chromascop 4D/540 is darker but it has more brown than grey.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
sorry, my bad
I didn't notice this was a removable thread.
Can you modify the denture tooth/teeth with composite maybe?

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
just brush teeth, unless you can't do without sanding.
seriously, color it, use ceramic paints

Y

Yuugen

Reaction score
sorry, my bad
I didn't notice this was a removable thread.
Can you modify the denture tooth/teeth with composite maybe?
Yes you can.. if anterior prep it like a veneer use stain from a composite kit and layer it with a translucent incisal, make sure your happy with the color before sealing it with translucent incisal.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Yeah, they sell acrylic staining kits. They are kinda expensive, but they have a whole bunch of colors in there. Maybe you can borrow one from another lab owner? Try calling around to other labs in your area and see if maybe they have any advice. My old boss had to use some old Cristobal composite stains he had lying around. They worked well. It can be quite time consuming and can be a lot of back and forth as far as try-ins go. We actually ended up having the patient visit the lab for this procedure to save the Dr. chairtime. And if you DO decide to go the staining route, it will be best to select a starting shade that is closest to the shade you want to achieve, and practice on another tooth other than the teeth you are using for the setup. Then once you lock in the color, go for it! Make sure you charge extra for this, as it is ridiculously time consuming to the inexperienced.

Last edited:
K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
It's for lower posterior teeth. I'd have to do the occlusals also which would be a major pain. It's been way too long since tooth morphology class!

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Oh boy! You'd probably have to do some occlusal reduction, mechanical retention, sandblast entire tooth, composite buildup, stain, seal. Ugh. I feel for you man. At least they are just posteriors. If you don't reduce, then I'm not sure the staining will last against natural teeth. Best of luck! Thank God these cases only come around every once in a blue moon!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
See if Vita makes a posterior in 5M1.

N

nickate

Reaction score
Patient education. Hand them the shade guide and explain this is what I can offer you.Have them choose shade. Not your fault--- just not available. Unreasonable expectations are not an option. Works for me.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Is bleaching the rest of their teeth an option?

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Briefly considered the bunson burner. It works for meringue! The pt understands the shade issues. I told him I would try to find something darker, But it would probably end up A4 or C4. I'll check on the 5M1.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Briefly considered the bunson burner. It works for meringue! The pt understands the shade issues. I told him I would try to find something darker, But it would probably end up A4 or C4. I'll check on the 5M1.
Vita physiodens possibly.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Vita 5M1 is a little darker. Anyone on here sell Vita denture teeth?

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Just be careful with the bunson burner technique. Overheated bubbly acrylic runs deep. Heh heh. Probably would end up grinding through half the tooth just trying to get the white spots out. Like trying to adjust a valplast clasp, and all a sudden it bubbles up and you're like "FU<K!"