Dandy

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Based on my interview with them I believe that you will be logging into a virtual computer hosted on amazons cloud. It took them multiple tries to get me the correct link/login so that I could do there "practical" I ended up having to put aside every night for a week to finally get on and have it work (once while trying to do my practical they had someone log in on top of me and boot me off)

During the practical I rejected 50-75% of the scans for various issues such as bad scans and such (they said to treat it as if they were real cases and I would have only accepted and done one or two of them without contacting the dr.) They never called back, I'm guessing they wanted someone who would have just proceeded with more of the cases.

As a side note, trying to design on a remote virtual computer was fairly nightmarish, especially when you add in that they very well might not have a library available that you are used to or even like at all.
During my interview with them, I remoted in, saw how much of a nightmare it was to design through a remote connection, told them I wasn’t doing that and if they were interested in hiring me I’d send them pictures of my designs and they can send me a computer with my own version of 3shape installed, and that I wasn’t going to deal with the nightmares of a remote connection. Needless to say they didn’t call back after that.

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
During my interview with them, I remoted in, saw how much of a nightmare it was to design through a remote connection, told them I wasn’t doing that and if they were interested in hiring me I’d send them pictures of my designs and they can send me a computer with my own version of 3shape installed, and that I wasn’t going to deal with the nightmares of a remote connection. Needless to say they didn’t call back after that.
Yeah, working on the remote computer was very tedious, not what I would want to spend my time doing

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
I will have a lot more to say when I get to my full review (there will be pictures and a question and answer session for extra credit).

But what stinks about all of this negative lab tech feedback is, the "good idea" (a tightly integrated to the "subsidized" scanner lab portal that is NOT from the scanner company *cough* CEREC *cough*, different than the past failures) is not being realized. It says that we all aren't pushing the ball forward.

I want to get away from vendor lock-in, and realize that they had to start somewhere and do things the 3Shape way, but was hopeful they would get enough momentum to expand on the current model. Nope it's just as bad as stock 3Shape from what I've seen. (Why the hell can't I see a wax-up without the mill offset at the margins!!!)

I want to be able to request AND GET a non-production/boutique lab. Typing this I realize how insulting some of this lab "type" talk is to x or y or z "type" of lab is..., I know y'all regularly break out from any "type" label Dr. Schmuck throws out.

I would be willing to pay a consultation fee to actually SPEAK directly to the technician in some cases.

A LOT of the growing pains I have experienced with it are a direct result of the "arms length hug" nature of it, which may have been exactly what I thought I wanted to try. I am of the age of the Zoom meeting after all.

What I was hoping for was a nation-wide network of mom-and-pop labs that kept their autonomy but used the Dandy platform as a means of hooking up with mom-and pop dentists like me who are REALLY feeling market pressures right now to join the legions of the DSOs who are locked in with huge labs.

I wanted the "review" I gave crowns I delivered to use "artificial intelligence" (or how about just a little plain old middle man intelligence!) to help match me with the lab that consistently met my expectations.

I still wanted separate "dentist to lab" relationships with my "I will only work with x for y" labs, of course, have my cake and eat it too.

Maybe in the year 2000...

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
I make it 2-3 minutes from any location with a bathroom and then I have to pee

Posting this from my phone hands free (no hands on the wheel just knees) after leaving the office

I forgot to post a that true middleware provider would also make it a feature for the labs to review Dr schmuck and his chronically under prepped knife edges I mean chamfers

Killer feature some of you may say AI matches the under preppers with the over bulkers

I bet some of you would kill for an arms length way of just picking another dentist who matched your online dating profile

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
You had initially mentioned the NYC regional area, have you thought about Kuwata? They're top shelf, and their techs are great.

I'm also curious why you haven't thought of (or maybe you have) bolstering/ adding to the lab that your dad built to fit your zoom age? Obviously, I don't know the current dynamic but then you're a stones throw from getting the customization/ consistency you want etc... if the ground work is there, why don't you make it what you want?

Also, DLN(etwork) has the ground work to be your match.com- post an ad, set up interviews- there's a slew of us here and you're already paying $12k to rent a scanner, might as well get equity in one...

J

jcbdmd

Reaction score
I asked about NYC because I initially thought Dandy was building a more brick and mortar side/presence there. I am VERY far from NYC.

The lab my dad my helped start has grown, shrunk, and is now in the retirement process. We still care a great deal for that lab and the lab that inherited our account. We are in a rural area, and investment in the digital workflow by that lab would be a stretch.

I had hoped that something like Dandy would be an avenue for these small labs to be able to justify the investment, but there currently appears to be too many strings attached on the lab side.

From the dentists side I currently have very little confidence that these little labs were ever matched up with the little dentists like me, if my experience so far is any guide. It "feels" like my work was not consistently matched to a lab with the same attention to detail as I have. If "felt" like my work was sent to labs that churn it out.

I can't speak to this with 100% certainty because the labs were "man behind the curtain."

If I had venture capital backing I would start a company that did what I am looking for for all of us little guys... probably a reason it doesn't exist, there's a reason the little operations are dying out.

T

TanMan

Reaction score
This is going to sound terrible but I feel like Dandy caters to the bottom feeders of the dental hierarchy - those that are cheap and don't want to buy a scanner OR are struggling financially and cannot buy a scanner. I would think that from a lab perspective, those are the clients you wouldn't want unless the lab itself was struggling and needed clients.

I'd look at the fine print, since nothing in life is really ever free. The most important things are quality, turnaround time, price, and ability to communicate with someone for more complex cases. If Dandy can provide all that, then they might be a winner. Many of these companies that promise the world and then some usually have great sales people, but the service/product ends up being deficient, especially when some form of contract is signed.

Trios 3 is a nice IOS - I ended up getting a second one due to all the labwork we send out. Sirona's IOS products are good if you want to keep them inhouse, but they are behind the Trios 3 in terms of scan quality/speed. They have a cult following, so I try not to bash sirona in front of the sirona-ites, hahaha. You can identify them because they will make every excuse in the book for their products, such as the primemill. Unfortunately, I have other IOS's that are just collecting dust like the Carestream 3700 and itero element 2 (would not recommend either one).

doug

doug

Reaction score
TanMan, are you a dentist ora lab owner who can feels the need to invest in IOS systems? Either way you've got a lot on $$$ tied-up in that stuff. There are several very good systems out there, you don't need to be all things to everyone.

T

TanMan

Reaction score
TanMan, are you a dentist ora lab owner who can feels the need to invest in IOS systems? Either way you've got a lot on $$$ tied-up in that stuff. There are several very good systems out there, you don't need to be all things to everyone.

I am a dentist. It sounds crazy, but I have a total of 10 scanners, but 2 are not used at this time. I got the itero for invisalign, but realized invisalign didn't work with our workflow and that the head of the scanner is massive. The CS 3700 had a really good deal and I needed a back up full arch scanner. In real practice, it just sucked. Even upgrading it to an i9-11900k with an rtx3090 then quadro rtx6000 +64gb ram provided little performance improvement to scan and post processing. After the disaster with the cs3700, I ended up with a second trios. I just hate the annual fee, but it has the best scan and workflow.

The current active lineup is 3 omnicams, 3 primescans, and 2 trioses. I found that this was the best balance for the office.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I am a dentist. It sounds crazy, but I have a total of 10 scanners, but 2 are not used at this time. I got the itero for invisalign, but realized invisalign didn't work with our workflow and that the head of the scanner is massive. The CS 3700 had a really good deal and I needed a back up full arch scanner. In real practice, it just sucked. Even upgrading it to an i9-11900k with an rtx3090 then quadro rtx6000 +64gb ram provided little performance improvement to scan and post processing. After the disaster with the cs3700, I ended up with a second trios. I just hate the annual fee, but it has the best scan and workflow.

The current active lineup is 3 omnicams, 3 primescans, and 2 trioses. I found that this was the best balance for the office.
that is quite a bit! how many operatories do you have and how many docs are in there on wheels? lol

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I heard Dandys newest special cancels your student loan debt too!

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
WOW that is a lot of scanners to manage. I would get one good one and get rid of 15 ops and hire a associate. You are spending money like GM and McDonald's to get rid of the human element, but you are working on humans. Think of the lab fees you could have paid with that scanner money? You would be the talk of the town for the best esthetic and cosmetic and pain free dentist around. Just saying....

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
He's got 2 good ones . 2 T3's

T

TanMan

Reaction score
you are a busy guy throughout the day then! i hope your crown inserts are 5min or less ;)

Most of the time, they are, but with lab or cerec, there's always problems that can arise.

WOW that is a lot of scanners to manage. I would get one good one and get rid of 15 ops and hire a associate. You are spending money like GM and McDonald's to get rid of the human element, but you are working on humans. Think of the lab fees you could have paid with that scanner money? You would be the talk of the town for the best esthetic and cosmetic and pain free dentist around. Just saying....

I still pay a lot in lab fees, as about 50% of my cases are still sent to the lab. Also, some of the scanners I bought were used so I saved a ton of money on them. My office has a lot of emergencies and my patient population are often transient/temporary or non-compliant. My cerecs are primarily used for single visit root canal/buildup/crown and the thing about it is that it's a necessary evil. Once a patient is asymptomatic after a root canal, a lot of times, they won't come back for a crown and the rate of failure increases drastically with coronal microleakage + root canal failure or overall structural failure. I'm not one of those crazy dentists that will try and do an 8 unit anterior veneer cases on a CEREC. That's just plain stupid and I have a better use of my time.

The purpose is not to get rid of the human element. The purpose is to remove the bottlenecks in my practice. It just allows me to do more dentistry in a shorter period of time.

Should of went with Medit then he could of afforded two associates and sat home drinking Molson watching Americans kick the shlt out of Canadian NHL players ;)

I've tried the Medit, and honestly, I think it's overrated. I tried my friend's Medit and it was kinda like meh. It's great for people who have never had a scanner before, but their scanning technology is still not as good as the trios 3 or primescan. One of my theories is when I tried it out, it seems like it requires the scanner lens to be parallel to the surface to be scanned to get faster scanning and less tolerant to moist surfaces/amalgams. I prefer a scanner that I can literally wave around (well, not that extreme) and capture the scan in ideal AND non-ideal conditions. The medit can get it in ideal conditions, but non-ideal conditions, it is not as good as the other two.

I wish I had enough work for more associates, but I don't really want to build more ops or feel like I'm just creating more jobs.

Cdtflb

Cdtflb

Reaction score
Thank you for the information into Dandy! I have already had my interview and will be taking a practical next week. The person that interviewed me told me some of the day to day. I would like to know more tho! Specifically about the day to day/work schedule, if you are still happy there, and how fully remote 3Shape works. Did they send you a computer with 3Shape on it?
How did your interview go?
Thank you for the information into Dandy! I have already had my interview and will be taking a practical next week. The person that interviewed me told me some of the day to day. I would like to know more tho! Specifically about the day to day/work schedule, if you are still happy there, and how fully remote 3Shape works. Did they send you a computer with 3Shape on it?
Sorry I didn't see this! How did your interview go? They do send a computer and all the stuff needed no connectivity issues like when you do the trial cases (which I agree was a PITA) and day to day is designing and for me that means (as bad as it is) rolling out of bed and hopping on my work computer and start opening cases and designing. I really have no idea how the remote 3shape works I'm the furthest from a tech wizard if I have an issue with computer stuff I let the tech wizards know and they fix it, or guide me through how to fix. And surprise surprise the only issues and glitches I experience are through 3shape.