Daily number of units

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,
I was looking around at the presentation page and wondering how many units can some one like Al (just an example because I love his work) can do at that quality per day? I know that its different for everybody and some cases take more time then other. Im just looking for a reasonably obtainable number.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Al does his work in batches. I suppose you could break it down to "X" units a day. That being said, I think Al also works more than 8hrs a day and more than 5 days a week. He's a man on a mission

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
Well maybe amongst people who do more production style. What is a reasonable number of crowns that can be built, ground, glazed/polished in a 8 hours. I'm curious because I have a theory that some people can only do one certain type of work. Meaning that if you can put out a 7 ( on a scale 1-10) then you will put out that 7 no matter how many units you have to do. And if you can do 10 then you always put out 10. Assuming reasonable numbers here guys. I think any where from 10 - 14 is a good number.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
The question is too broad. How many steps in the process do they do? Is the theoretical tech working alone, or only one step? Do they do EVERYthing (pick-up, disinfect, models, ship etc) or what are you asking? An individual only maintains their standard quality to a certain volume/pressure point, then they either don't get done, or cut corners, however small.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
I think I sort of understand your question.. But disagree with your theory. I think anyone can do any kind of work they set their mind to, it's more a matter of what you are WILLING to do not what you CAN do. When I make a crown I don't glaze it until I'm happy with it - I don't cut corners because I have a lot of work to do, it just means I'm working later that day. I would hate having a set amount of hours to do a certain number of crowns.. That's when the work gets sloppy.
Years ago I asked a friend of mine "how long should it take to wax up a bridge like this?" and he replied "As long as it takes to get it right" Words of wisdom.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Keep a clock in front of your work area and check as you work. It's they only way to really get a handle on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
If you take the shade yourself and use more than 6 kinds of powder on your plate for one case it is hardly to pass the 8 buildups a day figure, specially if you have to heavily adjust the frame yourself.

If you receive the shade from a doc, usually you will use 6 or less kinds of powder per case and can pass the 12 buildups a day figure for easy, specially if you need only to lightly adjust the frame yourself.

Those figures are roughly an estimate depends mostly on the tech experience and his/her way of approach and finally the artistic mood.
The more professional you get the little time you need the better results you achieve.

Toto

Toto

Reaction score
Well maybe amongst people who do more production style. What is a reasonable number of crowns that can be built, ground, glazed/polished in a 8 hours. I'm curious because I have a theory that some people can only do one certain type of work. Meaning that if you can put out a 7 ( on a scale 1-10) then you will put out that 7 no matter how many units you have to do. And if you can do 10 then you always put out 10. Assuming reasonable numbers here guys. I think any where from 10 - 14 is a good number.

I think you are right about this James

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I hate daily quotas.. they are a creativity vacuum. Another in a long list of reasons why I dont work in someone elses lab. The last lab I worked at full time, almost ten years ago now, wanted 15 units a day.. opaque to glaze. While its not impossible, its stressful.. and stressed employees are not efficient.

I like the timer idea. Have the tech set a timer, on/off for the time it takes them to do a crown. Do this for 5-10 units and you will get an idea of what they can get done in an hour. 8-10 is a good number for an 8 hr day, if you want quality work. 12-15 is possible if youre doing simple buildups and not too concerned about how refined they are.

Im assuming you are talking about porcelain units? or the whole crown, frame and all?

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
thanks guys! Im referring to just porcelain units from a predetermined shade. the frame has already been completed and opqued.

I do understand that quotas take away creativity but I also do not want cases sitting around my lab for weeks. Im looking for a good spot where my techs can make money and so can I. but I also want a good product.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Ahh, good clarification.
Use a timer as Doug said, or maybe average your fastest tech's output against your 'highest quality" tech's output over a day/week. The balance is somewhere in between. After all, we are artistic technicians/producers and cannot separate these and stay in business long.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
If you really want to motivate, offer bonuses. Piece unit or hourly techs really hit a ceiling.. but if the lab gets busy, the techs that are producing should share in the profits..

For example, if you complete your quota every day for 5 days, you get a bonus. Even if its $20 its a great motivator.. I would say an hour or two of the normal compensation.. BUT if QC sends back something, then you either lose the bonus, or have like a 3 strike policy for a week. That ensures they are doing their best to get the bonus. Just an idea.

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Quotas ruin the moral of the laboratory. If you have a good group, they will produce like machines for a couple of weeks. To keep this up would make for a slave atmosphere. Since We are Artists, you must allow time for the odd spurts in the other direction. Otherwise you simply have a sweatshop. China is good for that. Is that your end game? Otherwise 4 every hour if using the same powders is fairly fast. Remember, in the real world technicians read the Rx, align and prepare for the next case, clean the inside of the unit out, set it on a peg, patch or sandblast opaque from the inside, fold a new tissue etc.

That is for building only. To start a crown in the grinding stage has waaaaaay more flex time, depending on the care and skill of the builder. I could grind comfortably 20ish (clean, contacts, occlusal etc.). But I used a lathe for the crappy overbuilt stuff. As for glazing. Depends as well. If the cutback is sloppy then the crown will need more care. Patch jobs (from over worked techs trying to keep up a quota) can make a one fire glaze into more.

Do you really expect 14 build, grind and glaze for one day???

J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
I dont really have any expectations. i was just wanting to see how long it would really take to put out a case like the ones that I always see posted here.

But yes I think that 14 is a very achievable goal! that is 1.5 per hour. Mrs.gafriday you said that you can comfortably grind 20 per day from a good build. If you were doing the good build than it should not be difficult to do.

again its not about quotas. everyday is different in a dental lab. some cases are more difficult than others. its all about having goals for your employees to reach. mine are quality first and production second but I think that you need to balance both to be successful.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
If it's your name going on the product going out of the door....quality does come first!

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
I dont really have any expectations. i was just wanting to see how long it would really take to put out a case like the ones that I always see posted here.

But yes I think that 14 is a very achievable goal! that is 1.5 per hour. Mrs.gafriday you said that you can comfortably grind 20 per day from a good build. If you were doing the good build than it should not be difficult to do.

again its not about quotas. everyday is different in a dental lab. some cases are more difficult than others. its all about having goals for your employees to reach. mine are quality first and production second but I think that you need to balance both to be successful.

Perhaps I misunderstood. 14build+14grind+14glaze=42 in one day.

desertfox384

desertfox384

Reaction score
Maybe I'm slow.. but to build 14, grind in, do second bakes and have glazed/contacts and polished and ready to go out the door in 8 hours is too much for me, at least at the current quality that I do.
There are guys out there that can do that but be prepared to pay for it. I don't think your average run of the mill tech could do this for long and keep up the quality.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I agree, I was going to say 12...however, that's just applying porcelain, finishing, glazing ready for shipping. That's a good quality number in my opinion. Can we do more, absolutely, but without being rushed and working till midnight, that would be my goto number.

Toto

Toto

Reaction score
I did an average of 15/day(many days 20 / day) for 12 years at previous lab . Frames were opaqued. Found it easier to do more units if they were bridges.
Many cases were full arch which I preferred. Worst day I had was a 20 unit day which included 12 single centrals with margin porcelain - 15 -18 hour days.
- what a life -amazing thing is my Wife and 3 daughters love me to bits still

Top Bottom