d.sign discontinued

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
Yesterday I received a letter from Ivoclar that d.sign porcelain will be discontinued by the end of this year. I haven't tried or heard anything about the replacement porcelain, IPS Style. I'm looking for any info on this porcelain before I decide to buy into it. Has anyone been using it? Can it be used over my d.sign paste opaques? Can I use it with my d.sign porcelain, i. e. layer over d.sign dentins with the Style enamels? Ivoclar is giving us until Dec. 31, 2019 to stock up on d.sign or switch. Of course I'm upset that Ivoclar is discontinuing my porcelain system AND giving me such short notice! As a small lab (1 person) I can't afford to buy another porcelain system on such short notice.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this and strategies on how to switch porcelain systems as painlessly as possible. I'm not feeling devoted to Ivoclar anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
It probably wasn't their most popular porcelain system, maybe I'm wrong. I'm just kinda surprised that their replacing it with another system,
especially with zirconia being the greater market share and that they already have 1 or 2 other porcelain systems for metal?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Yesterday I received a letter from Ivoclar that d.sign porcelain will be discontinued by the end of this year. I haven't tried or heard anything about the replacement porcelain, IPS Style. I'm looking for any info on this porcelain before I decide to buy into it. Has anyone been using it? Can it be used over my d.sign paste opaques? Can I use it with my d.sign porcelain, i. e. layer over d.sign dentins with the Style enamels? Ivoclar is giving us until Dec. 31, 2019 to stock up on d.sign or switch. Of course I'm upset that Ivoclar is discontinuing my porcelain system AND giving me such short notice! As a small lab (1 person) I can't afford to buy another porcelain system on such short notice.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this and strategies on how to switch porcelain systems as painlessly as possible. I'm not feeling devoted to Ivoclar anymore.

Thanks in advance.
Call your rep and have them send you a free sample of the new to try out.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Call your rep and have them send you a free sample of the new to try out.

Good point, Doris. In the past with Ivoclar, they would assemble nice little trial kits like of a A2 shade. Opaque, O.D. Body and Inc.
They would even include a Neutral/Translucent and maybe an Effect powder. They were all in smaller cheaper size bottles.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I'll be moving to GC. I've used d.SIGN since before the official release and have had very good results. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be doing a lot of PFG crowns for too much longer, and we already use GC for layering the Lisi press and Zr, so we might as well use their other materials. One shade at a time until the d.SIGN is gone, gone, gone!

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
I would think, given the trend away from PFM, that there would be many people willing to get rid of there stock in that procelain. I remember several such occasions with Creation porcelain kits going for 10 cents on the dollar from original pricing. Perhaps ask for design porcelain for sale? Maybe also consider getting into Zirconia now and educating your Dr.'s as to why. Not such a formidable task today as in a few years back. Honestly, making a PFM is so taxing today for me, made a Ton of them back in the day and occasionally have to make one. Such a Huge task to even try to emulate a Zr crown. Try outsourcing for your own evaluation. PFM's are on the last and lowest portion of the "Bell Curve" for products whereas Zr is on the elevator Up
This is all I can add unless you're a Super Master Ceramist that can deal with any modern day situations with ease via PFM, I know there are a few who do but at significantly higher fee structures which are a must. Hope this helps some.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Use the classifieds section and see if anyone here has some to part with. Someone likely will have it sitting around unused. Might be good for them to get rid of it and get something out of it instead of throwing it in the trash while you get something you need.

stonefly

stonefly

Reaction score
O and another bites the dust. I did not like Style especially the powder opaque. The porcelain seemed to shrink quite a bit and not uniform when it did. D sign was a beautiful porcelain but a PIA in the beginning with its tearing and lifting craziness. Their solution at the time according to Mr. Q add correction porcelain!! I would not invest in a new system. Try to make what you have last as long as possible. Buy up the incisal and your most used ASAP. Then hunt Ebay. While not a fan of Inline I would suggest going to the One system 7 botlles and get a few specialties powders, opals, impulse and so on, although you will have to get opaques but you may get away with D sign opaque for a while. The system is the same as D sign as far as porcelain types. Older Dr's. still like them but I would not get a whole new kit of anything in this monolithic world. Ivoclar has bailed on quite a few things even their chromascope shades. I bet they still sell the dam shade guide... I would not switch to Style with their history of discontinuing things. Reflex was a far better porcelain than D sign they got rid of that. Bailed on their 3 shape along with Troy,Empress 2, Targis and probably quite a few more too. Anyway IMO no on Style

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Style will not work with d.Sign, it is a much lower firing porcelain (780C).

There is a paste opaque coming out any time now.

I've been warning people since Style was introduced in 2015 that this was coming.

Same with all our stain systems that aren't Ivocolor.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I've been warning people since Style was introduced in 2015 that this was coming.

Did you declare a " porcelain emergency"?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Well, they did say Here's D.Sign. Guessing it didn't get read.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Their “ Inline porcelain” is very good. I have been using it for the last 8 years, but now we are barely doing any PFM.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I still use d.SIGN porcelain. I will be switching to GC pfm porcelain as it will match the Lisi we use currently for all ceramics, and is already in the mixing charts for the iLAB and Mattise software programs.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Say it ain’t so! :eek: Hope I’ll have enough powder to last me.
Check with Ivoclar directly, but I thought 'Style' is the only PFM porcelain left. But like d.sign, you can still get what is left in stock.

C

charles007

Reaction score
If I had to continue making pfms, short term, that's what I see in my magic ball, I would only buy D.Sign cheap off Ebay, etc, reputable sellers. Better idea switch over to GC Initial IQ (LOM) until pfms fall off the cliff. FYI.. not a IQ user, but tried years ago. Must say d.Sign was the prettiest porcelain I've ever used and the hardest learning curve to climb with tearing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom