Custom zirconia abutment

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'd like to know if we could get a custom zirconia abutment from a zirconia disc and the demand of the milling zirconia disc, the strength or any other? Could anyone share instructions or videos about the entire process of making zirconia abutments? Thank you all!

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
It is not as popular anymore as when zirconia stated being popular and all that because of the breakage of the internal ring where the screw sit. So most of the zirconia abutments are hybrid with a titanium base and bonded zirconia coping on top. That is how we do it.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
It is not as popular anymore as when zirconia stated being popular and all that because of the breakage of the internal ring where the screw sit. So most of the zirconia abutments are hybrid with a titanium base and bonded zirconia coping on top. That is how we do
thanks! I also think abutment entirely made from zirconia is not perfect now. Would you make a custom abutment in lab generally, or just send the design to any abutment supplier for a costomized abutment?

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
thanks! I also think abutment entirely made from zirconia is not perfect now. Would you make a custom abutment in lab generally, or just send the design to any abutment supplier for a costomized abutment?
We outsource our custom abutments for milling. Number one, in the USA, you have to go through a very extensive and expensive validation process in order to mill abutments in house. Number two, we get a warranty for the abutments from the milling centers who fabricate our abutments.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I don't think you will find someone still doing full zirconia milled abutments! Failure rate is just to high and then there is the damage zr does to the implant.

What is being used today is either a custom milled ti abutment or ti-base, with a cemented zr abutment on top of it.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'd like to know if we could get a custom zirconia abutment from a zirconia disc and the demand of the milling zirconia disc, the strength or any other? Could anyone share instructions or videos about the entire process of making zirconia abutments? Thank you all!
i suggest getting a titanium base, designing an abutment, and cementing them together.
the interfaces as zirconia have failed so much that most people tackle them this way now.

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Just dont.. TI base and mill the zirconia coping and glue them. Hit with scan spray and scan for the final.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Many, if not most of us are custom designing the ti abutments in-house and outsourcing the milling part.

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
As has already been said, use a Ti base and mill the zirconia top in house, fully zirconia abutments have never worked out very well. In case you want to read some more thoughts about that, here's a recent thread with lots of comments about fully zirconia abutments; https://dentallabnetwork.com/forums...tless-implant-system.33895/page-2#post-352601
So professional! The practical experience is really important that I cannot learn from the theoretic situations. Moveover, how about the Zirconia bar? I'm not sure if it works well in implant. Sometimes I didn't see a bar in a full-arch implant and is it neccesary in full arch implant?

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
I do customization on my own with with titanium base and remarking margins according to what the case needs.After that I do my own zirconia abutment and bond it .Very few I outsource. It is time consuming to get a scan body from whom ever you want to use and then scan, design and send out. And sometimes it is not 100% what I asked for. But it is a big help to be able to outsource .

Simon_Vincismile

Simon_Vincismile

Reaction score
I do customization on my own with with titanium base and remarking margins according to what the case needs.After that I do my own zirconia abutment and bond it .Very few I outsource. It is time consuming to get a scan body from whom ever you want to use and then scan, design and send out. And sometimes it is not 100% what I asked for. But it is a big help to be able to outsource .
Great! Could you share something about the zirconia product you use to make the abutment? I think it demands really high strength as a abutment

L

Lamber Tran

Reaction score
for a custom zirconia abutment, strength is the primary consideration, we use Vsmile ht zirconia disc, which is high opaque and high strength, but frankly speaking, titanium is the best material for an abutment.