• Thread starter Brett Hansen CDT
  • Start date
A

a3dl

Reaction score
1) Get told that there's a custom shade here
2) Sigh audibly and drop the 12 unit bridge I'm re-contouring
3) Shuffle into the custom shade area
4) Read script... (while mumbling to myself)
5) Count teeth and flip model around to face me (because even after 12 years I can't recognize which quadrant is which in the mouth)
6) Double check patient's first name
7) Call out patient's name... butcher it
8) As they're walking up, assess their age (Younger usually = A & B Shades, Older = C & D Shades)
9) Ask them how they are/ comment about the weather/ take a seat please
10) "looks like we're doing X for you, alright, let's take a look"
11) Dive in, elbows deep
12) Eyeball shade and grab the shade tab (usually A2)
13) F#@K... it's not A2
14) Try 3 more shade tabs
15) ...
16) Try A2 Shade Tab again... just for sh!ts and giggles
17) Bang on!
18) Start marking on script different characterizations
19) "gingival warming" "blue/grey incisal" "craze lines" "decalcification"
20) scribble it quickly in a language that can be likened to a chinese/arabic hybrid
21) "Can I see what shade you picked?"
22) ...o_O
23) Hand patient the mirror
24) "I was thinking about bleaching"
25) Banghead
26) Pull out 3D shade guide
27) "Okay... so here are our bleach shade options"
28) "What's the whitest one you've got?"
29) ...OM1
30) "Nothing whiter?"
31) "Ma'am... the only shade whiter is KKK" (Don't actually say that, just think it and chuckle to yourself)
32) Let's go with that!
33) "Are you sure? Bleaching will only bring you a shade or two lighter at best, You'll probably be an A1 when you're all done. In fact, I think you should do the bleaching first and book an appointment to come back so I can take your shade when you're done!"
34) "Nah... I don't want to have to drive all the way out here again, plus, I might end up getting veneers... and an implant! I want that hollywood smile"
35) Are you sure?
36) YES, I've been saving up for 5 years to get this crown done, it costs a lot of money y'know. Might as well get what I want since I'm paying for it!"
37) (Think to myself: She's never gonna get bleaching/veneers/or implants done... is she?)
38) ... Alright! OM1 it is then!
39) (Receptionist pops her head in) Your next patient is here, it's a shade adjust, doctor said the shade was too light...
40) Beer
By far the most accurate description of 90% of shade patients

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Lunch on Brayks...Sounds like a party...

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Lunch on Brayks...Sounds like a party...
I agree...it would be pretty neat to all meet up there, see some of the new innovations Axsys is offering and what's coming down the pipeline as well. Along with meeting other DLN members would be friggin awesome!!!

DentalTechTips

DentalTechTips

Reaction score
I agree...it would be pretty neat to all meet up there, see some of the new innovations Axsys is offering and what's coming down the pipeline as well. Along with meeting other DLN members would be friggin awesome!!!

Honestly surprised with how many Michiganders are on this forum... I'm from Windsor, in Canada.. So I'm like an honorary Detroiter.

DLN symposium anyone?!?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Honestly surprised with how many Michiganders are on this forum... I'm from Windsor, in Canada.. So I'm like an honorary Detroiter.

DLN symposium anyone?!?
Heck yeah...but you Canucks have to leave your 'eh' and funny accent at the border if you come over...lol

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
That’s the newfies , I’m western Canada so we are pretty much mountain men [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Where are you polar, in BC? Im an hour south of Creston BC

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Where are you polar, in BC? Im an hour south of Creston BC

Red deer Alberta homie. Do you grow BC bud on the side because I’ll visit if you do haha.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Ah, youre way up there. Ive only been as far as Calgary. We have the legal sort around here

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Ah, youre way up there. Ive only been as far as Calgary. We have the legal sort around here

Ahhh cool cool. I was I drive by there sometimes on my way to Van or the kootneys to visit a buddy. If I’m around that area I’ll try to track ya down and we can talk teeth haha

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
How are you liking it ? I’ve found it is invaluable in nailing down tissue colours for me.

We love it. Our ceramists use it for all anterior cases. Remakes have dropped dramatically and any corrections (very few) only require a slight adjustment, usually needs a bit darker/lighter. Will be a year in June we've been using the system

Last edited:
McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
So tell me more about this "eLab"? looks like you have to be somewhat pc savvy, use it on all your shade cases, and cost?
Mostly need to learn Adobe Lightroom software, and an iMac...if you want to be one of the cool guys in the club. iMac's confuse the hell out of me, lucky I'm not using the system :)

Cost:
Nikon camera
100mm Macro lens
Twin flash
Twin flash bracket
Polorized filters
iMac
Grey card
Special porcelain liquid
3 stains
Adobe Lightroom subscription

$8-9K CAD I think?

Last edited:
McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
I only use it on anterior cases. I joined the fb group and searched and watched the YouTube videos. I should make a post of it , I love the system.

We joined the fb group too, wow, some techs are masters at it. I wish one of the gurus would merge the Ivoclar emax app with LAB values. The only sheet ive seen is someone created LAB values with all the ND stumps at 0.4mm emax thickness

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Red deer Alberta homie. Do you grow BC bud on the side because I’ll visit if you do haha.

I have a classmate from NAIT working there, tho he went back to NAIT to become a Denturist recently. Intials D.T.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Cost:
Nikon camera
100mm Macro lens
Twin flash
Twin flash bracket
Polorized filters
iMac
Grey card
Special porcelain liquid
3 stains

$8-9K CAD I think?

Retractors are nice to have also. It’s really a thought out system and a game changer for anterior work. Some techs used similar concepts before but now it is very refined so if you can figure out instructions you can figure this out. They have a new app coming out soon that will help you figure out the porcelains to use and where. Except it’s 35€ a month I believe. I’ll probably try it I’m curious if it saves me time.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Retractors are nice to have also. It’s really a thought out system and a game changer for anterior work. Some techs used similar concepts before but now it is very refined so if you can figure out instructions you can figure this out. They have a new app coming out soon that will help you figure out the porcelains to use and where. Except it’s 35€ a month I believe. I’ll probably try it I’m curious if it saves me time.

Right the retractors, we use the clear plastic self retracting "springy" kind...size large and small. I see there is a black pair someone was showing on the fb group, not sure if it was Sascha or not. That new kit looks neat, id be open to it.

I want to explore using ArgenZ Anterior w/ Chang's white opaque liquid to block out stump (regardless of what ND shade) to give us a "clean palette" to work with, then maybe try the new kit coming out soon to create the custom dentin. We are mostly fiddling around with emax (Dr request) which is tricky due to stump.

Last edited:
millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
Cost:
Nikon camera
100mm Macro lens
Twin flash
Twin flash bracket
Polorized filters
iMac
Grey card
Special porcelain liquid
3 stains

$8-9K CAD I think?

Ooops, Id delete this post if I knew how[/QU
What is elab's website to learn about this system?
Thanks!
Thanks!

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Thanks!

The Facebook group is the easiest way to learn it as they keep some files there. You can also watch the YouTube videos under Sasha’s page and Marat is pretty good to follow also.

McTeeth

McTeeth

Reaction score
Last edited:
millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
The Facebook group is the easiest way to learn it as they keep some files there. You can also watch the YouTube videos under Sasha’s page and Marat is pretty good to follow also.

Thank you!