custom abutment advise

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
how many of you are scanning and designing custom abutments on a 3shape?
which scan kit do you use?
which milling center do you use?
any advise on this subject would be great. I have the scanner and abutment software, but no scan kit.
Thanks in advance,
Ryan

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
While I work with Nobel my understanding is that the locator kit you purchase is directly related to the cam software the milling center uses.

All of the big boys have their own, knowing who to go with is trial and error. I have seen some very nice abutments from glidewell, I have also seen some pigs.

I am sure their are a few guys on this forum that can share some info on who is working well for them.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
the locator is for the 3shape cad system. The CAM doesn't use it i dont think. But the abutment files need to be uploaded either individualy or If you talk to a milling centre already servicing 3shape they will give you a dme. or isl. file that you import into your system. once you have one set of scan caps you should be able to use them for any milling centre providing you know how to assign those scan caps into any new abutment file set you import from that new milling centre.

Feel free to correct me if im wrong.

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
All the big boys do have their 3shaped locked up, really not that hard to go around. I do believe that Elos elos-accurate.com is a completly open system, but that also means it cost more then say Glidewell were you can get a kit of scan buttons for under 800. Elos are teh nicest scan adapters I have seen out their, they don't have a dealer in the US yet but their is a company working on that. hopes this helps you some.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
MEDENTIKA GMBH - DENTALE PRZISION, Hgelsheim is a good option also.
they will supply with the files for 3shape, the titanium inserts, and scan caps so all you need to do is get a "coping" milled and hope your milling centre wont charge you more for an abutment mill.
good luck

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
medentika is awesome.

they have everything, and you can buy what you need without all kinds of clutter, extras, or fluff.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
A company like elos medtech has open scan abutments (I hear) but they usually don't include the interface, which needs to be added into the cam software using macros, so unless you know what you're doing, isn't that easy.

D

dcasper

Reaction score
I'll be happy to send you some scanning abutments for whatever system at no charge. if you send the design to us, we will the abutment for $99, which includes 2 screws and a free analog to use on your next case.

Dave
Glidewell Laboratories

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
We use our 3 shape with 3i for the Encode abutment cases. Also use it for Glidewell abutments as well for Neoss.

A

arnie16403

Reaction score
ONCE YOU HAVE SCAN CAPS AND CAD FILES TO MATCH THEM THE INTERFACE IS EXTREMELY EASY TO ADD IN

Jo Chen

Jo Chen

Reaction score
Atlantis is going through trails with 3shape right now and will suposedly release to the general public by summer. You would need to purchase their FLO scann pegs. Atlantis makes the best abutments in my opinion but they are not the cheapest option.
Biomet 3i is developing scan pegs for other implant brands besides their own. This may become a viable option in the future.
As Dave Casper already pointed out, Glidewell can do this for you too. Their scan pegs are made of plastic and may need to be replaced occasionally.
In case you do a lot of abutments you may be able to negotiate a free scan peg kit with any of the above mentioned companies.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
We use our 3 shape with 3i for the Encode abutment cases. Also use it for Glidewell abutments as well for Neoss.

So your scanner abutment kit has the encode healing abutments in it?
any chance you could export them for me pleasseee??

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
ExoCAD.

Then you have Tri-lobe and hex with no B.S.

I bought outside the country.

I hear screw retained one piece Zirconi are coming back in style for the summer.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
So your scanner abutment kit has the encode healing abutments in it?
any chance you could export them for me pleasseee??

Have your reseller update your dongle for it, it's free. I don't think they are using the healing caps anymore though for the scan sleeves, instead the use a impression analog, I think there's 2 sizes, call your 3i rep.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I have seen some very nice abutments from glidewell, I have also seen some pigs.

I think I'm one of Glidewells bigger abutment accounts and if we get a pig from them, it's our fault not theirs. I don't know how things work when YOU send them cases, but they simply mill the design we send them.