crowns/puck assumption

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That looks like something I could do without losing to many units in my learning curve. A good starting point, as you do have some spaces
in both of your post examples. Thank you, sidebob :)
no prob. spaces are usually when im nesting new units and they dont quite fit like a perfect puzzle. see texts for more info

support size makes a difference. i see dead uses 2 supports that are thick...i was losing crowns that way, so i went with a 3 prong approach and smaller supports(1.3mm).
for wax my supports are tiny (.4mm)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I routinely use for ZI, 3 - 1mm sprues, which makes it harder to fill every space.
Thanks for the helpful text :) :)

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
We average 24-27 units/puck. My staff doesnt use islands for support, but rather beefs up connector diameter for milling struts. When they are done I get a hollow circle.
can you post a picture of what a nicely used puck looks like? cause now i think i'm doing something really wrong, cause i don't get that high of a number per puck

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
can you post a picture of what a nicely used puck looks like? cause now i think i'm doing something really wrong, cause i don't get that high of a number per puck
i posted some images. check them out

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
I need to revisit my nesting strategies

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Very impressive. Wow. that would not be possible on a wieland mini... on a 5 axis i'm sure, but not on the mini... lol. at least not on ours

That's a good point, 4d, as our 4 axis mills we are limited to how much we can try to upright our units for better nesting due to that limitation.
Also, with a C-clamp and plastic collars on my discs which can vibrate or chatter if placed to close to that plastic, glued edge, makes a difference
in positioning units right to the edge.

I still do a lot of pressed emax for my anteriors, and I notice a lot of you have quite a few anterior units in your pucks, which also
adds to your nesting numbers. I'm not trying to give myself excuses to not do a better job, but with some of the listed limitations mentioned,
I will be happy to get 24 units routinely in a ZI disc.

Below are some of what I was getting before I saw some of your examples, and of some helpful texts I received for better nesting strategy's :)

Here is a Beyond disc with 17, it looks like I'll be able to get another 5 or 6 in there, posteriors and Bis.

17 plus.PNG

18, all being posteriors (1 cuspid?). Room for ~3 more

zi.PNG

Wax, in which case I do need to go to the outside edge more, but have 37, room for 2 maybe 3 more.

wax.PNG

Last edited:
PCDL

PCDL

Reaction score
Awesome nesting job. Did you design for partial rests, interlocks in some of the crowns?
Is the Bi towards the top supposed to look like that?
They are... some of this puck is a copy mill restoration so the crowns are going to fit over a titanium base frame. The bicuspid has two screw access holes milled into it

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
They are... some of this puck is a copy mill restoration so the crowns are going to fit over a titanium base frame. The bicuspid has two screw access holes milled into it

Then really nice job! :)
Thanks for the follow up post, PCDL :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That's a good point, 4d, as our 4 axis mills we are limited to how much we can try to upright our units for better nesting due to that limitation.
Also, with a C-clamp and plastic collars on my discs which can vibrate or chatter if placed to close to that plastic, glued edge, makes a difference
in positioning units right to the edge.

I still do a lot of pressed emax for my anteriors, and I notice a lot of you have quite a few anterior units in your pucks, which also
adds to your nesting numbers. I'm not trying to give myself excuses to not do a better job, but with some of the listed limitations mentioned,
I will be happy to get 24 units routinely in a ZI disc.

Below are some of what I was getting before I saw some of your examples, and of some helpful texts I received for better nesting strategy's :)

Here is a Beyond disc with 17, it looks like I'll be able to get another 5 or 6 in there, posteriors and Bis.

View attachment 33521

18, all being posteriors (1 cuspid?). Room for ~3 more

View attachment 33523

Wax, in which case I do need to go to the outside edge more, but have 37, room for 2 maybe 3 more.

View attachment 33524
you get a bit more aggressive with your overlapping on those and you will find room in the puck for a handful more. no question! looks good though.

user name

user name

Reaction score
$3000 worth of work out of a puck...regardless of our nesting finesse, we're all doing pretty good.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
you get a bit more aggressive with your overlapping on those and you will find room in the puck for a handful more. no question! looks good though.

That was my thought too, more aggressive on overlapping. Also, maybe trying to use 2 1.5 - 2mm sprues on molars instead of 3 1mm sprues, to be able to nest
molars better using more of the overlapping technique. Here is a wax puck I tried to be more aggressive with in milling these units over the weekend. About 35 units so far. I still need to go further out to the outside edge of the C-clamp area, though.

20190903_080125.jpg

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
That was my thought too, more aggressive on overlapping. Also, maybe trying to use 2 1.5 - 2mm sprues on molars instead of 3 1mm sprues, to be able to nest
molars better using more of the overlapping technique. Here is a wax puck I tried to be more aggressive with in milling these units over the weekend. About 35 units so far. I still need to go further out to the outside edge of the C-clamp area, though.

View attachment 33550
for wax you can nest fully outside the c clamp since theres no collar. looking great man, well done!

DreN4do

DreN4do

Donator
Reaction score
@Car 54 I like how you only use 2 bars on anteriors and 3 for posteriors. i would never dare to do so unless it's on wax. i'm so worried about the vibrations, that i am afraid to use less bars. I am just hoping that the boss will get a new 5 axis milling machine..

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
@Car 54 I like how you only use 2 bars on anteriors and 3 for posteriors. i would never dare to do so unless it's on wax. i'm so worried about the vibrations, that i am afraid to use less bars. I am just hoping that the boss will get a new 5 axis milling machine..

I know what you mean as far as vibration concerns, but I'm still going to try 2 thicker sprues for zi posteriors and see how it goes.
Ditto regarding a 5 axis mill, but in my case, I'm the boss and can't afford one...yet.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
If you fit 4 arches of dentures in one puck surely that means you can fit 32 singles

/s

I say /s but that was the attitude of some of the people ive worked for.

Top Bottom