Crowns not positioned correctly in the puck

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
In the last few days, I have had four crowns come out of my mill with flat cusps or margins. I use the Zenotec Mini. I do not have the advanced software. The crowns are being nested in the correct size puck. I called Wieland. They told me my air pressure must be at least 7 bar. When we bought the mill in December, the Ivoclar reps told me it needed to be over 6 bar. Our air pressure is usually around 6.5 bar. The issue with the flat margins/cusps had only happened once or twice before this week. Anyone else run into this issue?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Are the flat parts under the height of the blank or at the same height as the top and bottom of the blank? The only time I get flat spots are when I cut a 9.8 or 9.9mm unit in a 10mm disk.

Where the unit angled? Also a pic of the setup when selecting the units and disk info would help. I don't Weiland. Ills but have a vhf 4K and S1 and they are similar to each other but my cam is different.

You air pressure has nothing to do with flat spots you were missinformed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
They are the same height as the top or bottom of the blank. Units were not angled. The unit heights were less than the height of the pucks they were nested in. I didn't see how the air pressure would have caused this either. Basically, if I can't get my air pressure over 7 bar, they won't submit a ticket through 3shape to take a look at this problem.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Air pressure is only for the tool change significant around 5, 5.5 if not enough he tries as long as needed is it a wieland blanck 10 or 12 mm dont remember which they are different from all others ( asymetric bevel position)

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
These are Wieland blanks. I use 12 mm asymmetrical zenostar T and 14 mm symmetrical zenostar t and mt0 for almost all my units.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I think human error...

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
while i havent used wieland, you mention 3shape and immediately a red flag appeared.

if you are basing your unit height on 3shape's determination of height, you're going to have a bad time.

the two systems correlate height differently. 3shape uses its co-ordinate system, but once the unit is ported to the mill, the z angle comes into play and is corrected. so a 9mm tooth (3shape) can end up over 10mm tall once adjusted for z angle.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
If you notice, on the 12mm Zenotec pucks, there's a step only on one side. That means that when the puck

rotates 180 degrees, the puck will be off center unless you use the proper setup. You'll have to contact the re-seller

and have them add in the stock with the proper dimensions so you can mill properly. It's not cutting in the correct space

you think it is. Should be a 5mm difference because it's a standard 5mm lip on each side of the pucks.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with CAD and ALL to do with CAM. 3Shape can do nothing for you here, promise.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Try running a calibration?

Diadem Precision

Diadem Precision

Reaction score
If they are milled in a 12 mm puck asymmetric - you may have the puck in upside down.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
If they are milled in a 12 mm puck asymmetric - you may have the puck in upside down.

The way that Weiland says on the IFU is that top of the puck is the stepped portion, the flat

side is to be on the bottom. The problem is that the bottom of the disk isn't centered up.

They only cut one lip on the disk. There is an offset that isn't set up in standard CAM softwares.

The geometry will have to be added to the stock selection and then make sure that it's used

when setting up the milling project.

Trust me...I speak from experience and had the same problems until we set up the proper

geometry in my stock selection in my CAM.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
When I used the Basic software and ran Weiland's 12mm blue wax, which has one step, I didn't have to do any configuring, it just milled, unless I'm not understanding what you mean? At one point I was getting flat margins, and a calibration took care of it, at least if I'm remembering it right.

Brett, my compressor is rated to 125psi max, and I have the cut on set at 95psi (just under 7bars) and cut off at 115psi. I have not had any issues with it going down to 95. (7bars =s ~100psi)

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
It depended which file for 12 mm is in the cam 12 mm wieland or 12 mm everyone else , same same but different both have different zero points.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up explanation, cadfan, I appreciate it.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
The Z position of the center of the puck is actually 5mm higher since there is a lack of a step around the puck.

Only one side of the puck has the step around it and they tell you to put that on the bottom. So, that makes your

center-point offset incorrect to what is in the CAM for standard pucks with steps on each side.

So..in the CAM when you're setting up the milling project...you must choose the correct geometry

to ensure the correct Z center-point.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
That sounds crazy :eek: ,,,,,,I used the basic software for a year before upgrading (never a single problem) What I liked about it was it does everything automatically . My air pressure was low when I was setting up the mill and it screwed up the release of the burr into the rubber blocks , I can't see how the air pressure could be causing your problem Questionmark

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I am waiting to hear back from an Ivoclar tech that works with the Mini. I am thinking I need to recalibrate the mill.

Top Bottom