Crown turning grey.

Tradewindj

Tradewindj

Reaction score
All,
I have a single central #8 FCZ porcelain facial over a post. We nailed the shade, crown looks great (seven months ago). Question... Have you had this happen with a glass ionomer cement? I believe there is micro leakage from the post reacting with the cement. Thoughts?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
All,
I have a single central #8 FCZ porcelain facial over a post. We nailed the shade, crown looks great (seven months ago). Question... Have you had this happen with a glass ionomer cement? I believe there is micro leakage from the post reacting with the cement. Thoughts?
microleakage is a possibility, but I'd bet the Doc used a hemostatic (ferric sulfate) to isolate during cementation. This will get you the grey/dark hue after six months almost every time. Just be happy it was #8 and not twelve individual veneers like what I had to deal with :p

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
If the doctor uses the wrong type of cement, dual cure I think, it can go gray.
I've seen two veneer cases I've done seat beautifully then complaints months later of graying. There's one a doctor mentioned last month that may be redone. How would you guys go about charging? Logically, it has nothing to do with what we did as it was approved by doc and patient at seating and looked great. The porcelain didn't magically turn gray. It's doctor not understanding the materials used in cleaning and preparing the preps and also the bonding agents used. Would you guys go full charge? half charge? 20% off? no charge?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Be nice if it could be cleaved off with an ultrasonic scaler. Then just clean and re-etch.

If youre not going to charge full price, Id want to hear the Dr express an understanding of why it happened and why it wont again.

OpalEssence

OpalEssence

Reaction score
i feel sick today i'm not going to work

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Full charge riley, what does your Terms and Conditions that the Dr signs every RX say?

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Full charge riley, what does your Terms and Conditions that the Dr signs every RX say?
Mine says veneers have no warranty but I’ve given discounts cause friendliness. I just hate it when you pick up their hints they expect you to do it free. Wanted to see others opinions.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I totally get it. Its hard with repeat customers.. but Ive found if you lay the welcome mat down, theyll continue to wipe their muddy feet on it...