Crown MM heights / Puck MM thickness.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Is there a general mm figure on what fits in a puck ? To this point I have been buying pretty much 14,15, 16 mm pucks. Because well , I had to start somewhere. So in most cases would a 10mm crown fit in a 12mm puck ? Is there a formula for this ? Thanks

JandBDentalStudio

JandBDentalStudio

Reaction score
Is there a general mm figure on what fits in a puck ? To this point I have been buying pretty much 14,15, 16 mm pucks. Because well , I had to start somewhere. So in most cases would a 10mm crown fit in a 12mm puck ? Is there a formula for this ? Thanks

I would say 75% of my jobs would fit in a 12mm puck. Your Cam will tell you it’s height with the shrink factor. So if your shrink factor is 1.238 a 10mm crown will not fit in a 12mm puck unless you can reduce its height by angling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

As JandB stated above look at the CAM software for the height of the final restoration, and my rule is add 25% (gives me some fudge room). for example:

10.3mm X 1.25 = 12.875mm meaning I would need at least 13mm disc (14mm in actuality)

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
Thanks , for the replies. Exactly what I need to know. I can start adjusting my inventory.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Just to add, 12mm handles 75% as J&B said, then I get the 16mm for those that are beyond the 12mm size. I quit getting the 14, as the once in awhile 14mm will be handled the once in awhile 16mm cases in 1 disc size. I do then have a 20mm back up for the longer anterior cases.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Just to add, 12mm handles 75% as J&B said, then I get the 16mm for those that are beyond the 12mm size. I quit getting the 14, as the once in awhile 14mm will be handled the once in awhile 16mm cases in 1 disc size. I do then have a 20mm back up for the longer anterior cases.

Most certainly don't want to have a huge inventory of discs, select the sizes that make sense in your lab.

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Here is my zirconia puck inventory:

12 mm Zircad LT0(most crowns fit in this)
14mm Zircad LT0
14mm Zircad MTBL
18mm Zircad MTBL
20mm Zircad LT0, Intense, Sun, Light, and Medium

We use the preshaded pucks for bridges and layered cases. We presinter stain all monolithic cases

user name

user name

Reaction score
I stock mostly 14mm. I like the room to adjust height and not be committed to the 2mm of incisal and 2mm of transition.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
That does make a difference as far as how many sizes you may need when you're using gradient colored compared to dipping white.

T

TonyNobrains

Reaction score
Most certainly don't want to have a huge inventory of discs, select the sizes that make sense in your lab.
Could someone please help tell me the Shrinkage values of the Preshaded ZirCAD LT blocks.... Shades A2,A3,D2,C2
The only number on the block is 1,2369.....I'm not sure what that number means.
I own a Ceramill DNA motion 2.

sndmn2

sndmn2

Reaction score
The only number on the block is 1,2369.....I'm not sure what that number means. I just recently learned this myself. If your crown is 10mm as designed. It should show up in your design or cam software someplace. Multiply 10 x 1.2369 . This means your 10mm crown will mill out to 12.2369 mm and shrink back to 10mm when sintered. I'm sure if thats not right someone will chime in. See Patricks post in this thread.

A

A. M.

Reaction score
Could someone please help tell me the Shrinkage values of the Preshaded ZirCAD LT blocks.... Shades A2,A3,D2,C2
The only number on the block is 1,2369.....I'm not sure what that number means.
I own a Ceramill DNA motion 2.

You change the F-code to Scale Factor and put in the number...

Top Bottom