Cost of Printed Model

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Getting my first printed model from Argen, 2 quads, in the door next week . The total with shipping, design and print will be $40.00. Is this high, low, or the average cost? Are the dental offices saying anything back, when there's an added amount for this type of model work? The office sent in the case via aTrios scan.
That's low but argens one of the best in the USA for the price. They did the design too?...you just sent them the trios scan from doc? I pass this on to the Doc, digital model fee, I know some labs don't, but I can do a model w/labor for less than ten dollars so I had too...feel free to disagree.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
That's low but argens one of the best in the USA for the price. They did the design too?...you just sent them the trios scan from doc? I pass this on to the Doc, digital model fee, I know some labs don't, but I can do a model w/labor for less than ten dollars so I had too...feel free to disagree.
Yes, I sent them the Trios scan, and Argen designed the model($7.00 fee for design). I agree with you on passing this fee on to the dentist. I explain to any office that we work with that there are other fees for digital models. They are much more pricey than us pouring up a model.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
How are the printed models from WhipMix?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
How are the printed models from WhipMix?
Good. But I have only done a couple cases with them. They are priced competitive and have a good service. I am fairly new in the model printing side of our business, though, and I don't have much to compare with.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im not sure I want someone at Argen trimming my dies.. I sat on the phone for at least 20 minutes just trying to get a price on something from their webshop. Just sayin.
This all sounds like we are letting go of more and more of are work.. Its only $7 here and $5 there for design, but youre losing your identity and value.. are we just ending up middle men? Thats really not what I want to be, they are totally expendable.

So maybe the real cost is more than a few bucks.. we dont control our own models anymore, this used to be the cornerstone of our laboratory.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Im not sure I want someone at Argen trimming my dies.. I sat on the phone for at least 20 minutes just trying to get a price on something from their webshop. Just sayin.
This all sounds like we are letting go of more and more of are work.. Its only $7 here and $5 there for design, but youre losing your identity and value.. are we just ending up middle men? Thats really not what I want to be, they are totally expendable.

So maybe the real cost is more than a few bucks.. we dont control our own models anymore, this used to be the cornerstone of our laboratory.
Here’s a shock, I totally agree ;)

I have no problem with labs sending out coping or designs to be milked, but giving up central elements of quality control like die trimming are abdicating responsibility for your own product!

I love Argen, just not for this

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
Here’s a shock, I totally agree ;)

I have no problem with labs sending out coping or designs to be milked, but giving up central elements of quality control like die trimming are abdicating responsibility for your own product!

I love Argen, just not for this
I agree, but what other choices for models do we have when we only receive the intra oral scan to go from?

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
I agree, but what other choices for models do we have when we only receive the intra oral scan to go from?
I think we owe it to ourselves to own the printers. Even the relatively inexpensive for lmlabs is not bad if you use it properly and maintain it carefully. Personally we’re about to go with carbon printers But that’s not in everyone’s budget and not everyone needs that kind of capacity. The form labs have been fine for basic cases once you learn their limitations and how to maintain them carefully

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I own a carbon printer.
I send the files to Argen .
My design,my control.Therefore it's my printer.They work for me.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score

I agree with these sentiments as well...I've felt like a middle man for years now (and turning into a whiny bish along the way). It's not just with the models though...look at the partial frameworks, implant abutments (this being a huge one, can we add another implant company to our list johnny?),etc... In retrospect, at least you offer everything to your Docs Rob. Also, as others stated, get in the game (buy the hardware to do it yourself),but for small labs we are limited to certain things we can do. Okay, my Monday morning rant is over with, thank you DLN.

Matthew J Raes

Matthew J Raes

Reaction score
I was a bit shocked when I received a bill from a lab for a printed model. The model came back looking great, but, wow. It is a printed upper and lower, 5 implants sites, tissue for implants, based in diestone, with magnetic mounting plates. Nice workmanship. But the price, 32.00 for tissue model, 30.00 for printed model, 10.00 for "cleanup fee for printed model" and 10.00 for "Design Build for Printed model". For a total of 82.00! Ouch! Is this a normal fee? Am I just clueless?

Right now with our printer and processes we are still at least $20 cheaper than this. A lot of the price depends on the amount of clean up and costs per printed model than anything else. Obviously this would be without analogs, but the cleanup and design build fee doesn't seem like something most places would charge for. But we are typically processing and printing models like these throughout the day and printing them every couple of hours.

M

motovan

Reaction score
Using Whip mix for quad models pearstone was worried about margins and fit feedback from Drs is they fit great 29 bucks to my door with removable die

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

what ive said on several occasions now.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Meh, you old farts can melt wax on your plaster models all day long.
Tell us how you tear up over cleaning the plaster trap.

RDA

RDA

Reaction score
I am trying to have a implant model printed with just the lab analog in place, no abutment, or crown needed at this time. Argen usually prints my models, but they are having a hard time with this request for some reason. I'm looking into Nobel Biocare to do it, but I again don't see this option on their site, and I am waiting for the rep to respond to my question on it. Any suggestions?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Use exocad model creator and NT Trading or Medentika scan bodies. Send the model STL to any open model printing service. Purchase the DIM analogs from either of the two suppliers and insert them in the printed models when they arrive.