Considering a Scanner

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Considering a scanner soon for Removable appliances. Maybe some C&B scans for associates. Opinions always changing. I want to stay with an open system. The consensus seems that for design software, Exocad is the way to go. Along with any open source CAD software available. So it comes down to machinery (Support,repair,specs, build quality).
Contenders are Medit T-500, DOF HD, Shinning AutoScan-DS. Maybe Open Technologies. Could be a scanner I am missing.
Would someone please give their opinion on a scanner they have purchased and are happy with, or you bought one of these and wish you had bought the other.
Thanks guys

doug

doug

Reaction score
We have the DOF scanner. Didn't get the HD. Was told by several people that it wouldn't really be an improvement.

Sda36

Sda36

Reaction score
We have the DOF scanner. Didn't get the HD. Was told by several people that it wouldn't really be an improvement.
Sorry Doug, did you mean UHD? Might be better resolution for sure but any mill can't really follow that exactness anyways...

doug

doug

Reaction score
Yes, we didn't get the UHD. Sorry for the error

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward Medit T-500.
Also looked at cara Scan 4.0, has their own design software, but I've heard mixed reviews of their printer, so I wonder if they have same shortcoming with scanner.

Last edited:
denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I have a shining autoscan....good tabletop scanner...

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I am wanting to use a scanner to transition to digital setups and denture reproduction. Along with base plates, guides, appliances, etc.
No milling, just printing.
DS-EX Pro is probably great. Especially at that price point. I just would like to hear more experiences with it from Veterans for comparisons.
Plus I'm not crazy about blasting everything with powder.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
No milling, just printing.
I think you will be disappointed with the longevity and repairability of printed materials.
Certainly faster than milling, but that stuff is brittle and I don't think there is a long term FDA approved material on the market.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
I think you will be disappointed with the longevity and repairability of printed materials.
Certainly faster than milling, but that stuff is brittle and I don't think there is a long term FDA approved material on the market.
I totally agree.

I intend it for temporary appliance usage. But hopefully in a few years they will create a more viable resin, although it may obsolete current printers.

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Camera 1.3 mega px doesn’t seem very good. Only for framework ?

Farrah Fawcett

Farrah Fawcett

Reaction score
My Steinbichler STII with a 1.3mp will whoop your scanner's arse all day.

MP does not mean much, as far as accuracy or density of scanner output.

Steinbichler has tight 30um average data point spacing with <5um tolerance of the data points.

You don't know what you are talking about.

The STI has 0.8mp camera and still kicks-ass IMO. Those Two are amazing accuracy!

The real things that matter are quality of camera sensor (Machine Vision or just a consumer-grade?),and the optics of the lens, the calibration process of scanner and also the frame rigidity.

Steinbichler and the Shining3d DS300 use expensive Point Grey Reseach cameras from Canada.
Other Machine Vision are Allied Vision cameras. High-quality lens complete the "eyes"

The sensor size, or single pixle size on the surface of the sensor is a key measurement to consider.
The less MP, then we can have larger individual sensor size. More sensors does not mean better quality or accuracy of output.

My cameras have a 3.75um sensor and the camera is very expensive, even though it is only 1.3mp

Last edited:
Farrah Fawcett

Farrah Fawcett

Reaction score
Here is a $29.95 5mp camera that sucks-donkey.

Obsessing over MP rating is the wrong way to go about shopping for a scanner and means very little without fully knowing what camera and lens is being used.
A real Machine Vision camera (without lens!) is usually $1500 or more (Less if used or New Old Stock of course). Then add a good lens.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
hard no on the selling your stuff on DLN without sponsorship Scott.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Yeah, what are you 3dsystems?

WENDY

WENDY

Reaction score
We use Medit Identica Blue to scan and design with EXOCAD.
Easy to work with and simple. Got it from Creo dent in NY - they have great technical support.
A close friend got T300 and loves it.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Considering a scanner soon for Removable appliances. Maybe some C&B scans for associates. Opinions always changing. I want to stay with an open system. The consensus seems that for design software, Exocad is the way to go. Along with any open source CAD software available. So it comes down to machinery (Support,repair,specs, build quality).
Contenders are Medit T-500, DOF HD, Shinning AutoScan-DS. Maybe Open Technologies. Could be a scanner I am missing.
Would someone please give their opinion on a scanner they have purchased and are happy with, or you bought one of these and wish you had bought the other.
Thanks guys
We have the shining Autoscan DS pro. It is extremely accurate.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
We have the shining Autoscan DS pro. It is extremely accurate.
Thanks for all the suggestions...I'm either gonna spend the extra money on the Medit T500 or save the money and go Autoscan DS-EX Pro. I've spoken with a large lab that is transitioning to DDentures and they are ordering the AutoScan.

2000markpeters

2000markpeters

Reaction score
Train left the station a long time ago. Open Technologies is my go to.