Computer Issues. (several)

user name

user name

Reaction score
I know very little.
I am designing with a Dell OptiPlex 780. At night when everything is quiet and Im winding down, I have heard the computer making a faint grinding (?) noise like the hard drive is busily writing. Im old skool, so I gave it a small wack. Noise stopped. Maybe it was just a fan?

On to bigger issues. Believe it or not, Im still using dental designer 2012, I don't know what build. Im happy with what it does and what I can do, so lacking in knowledge, I fear change. I spoke to the techy at my reseller, and he said that to get the current 2014 I would need a new computer.
1. Is that true?
He said to not go to best buy and get one; that there are some internals that just wont get r done, and I should get one that 3Shape has put out...even if I were to get the same brand, model and part specs from best buy...it wont work as well.
2. Is that true?
I don't mind spending the money to upgrade, and Im sure there are great advantages to both a new computer and getting the latest upgrades from 3Shape...so I likely will. BUT-
3.-if you were using and content with an older version, and getting the latest upgrade required a new computer, doesn't that argue against paying the annual license fee? Either that, or 3Shape should deduct from the license fee the cost of a new computer so you would be justified in (and able to) continue to utilize the advancements that paying the annual fee go for.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Sorry, can't help at all...
I've heard that sound twice,, once the fan, second time the HD, and the computer was less than 2 years old.. .. Can't remember the differences,, but the sounds are very similar..
Curious why use an older version with all the new improvements ? I'm counting the minutes waiting for another update in Exocad..
New faster computer can be a life saver, so much faster, maybe ? less headaches for sure..

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Not sure what the sound is but if its the hard drive then get it cloned ASAP, unless you back it up all the time anyway! As for a new computer there is no reason why you cant build one yourself or get a friend to do it. Find out what the latest spec of a new 3Shape comp is and get the bits priced up. Some times you can save a fortune and some times not. Depends how much the scan guys are trying to skim off the profit from the computer sale. As for it not being the same or not working the same the guy is just trying to scare you into buying from him. As long as you have the install software and the same spec hardware it will work exactly the same as if bought through 3Shape!!!!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
1. its not True, but a new computer would be an ideal solution to slow loading times and quicker smoother operations.

2. this is Half True. best buy generally is a terrible place to buy a computer from and it wouldnt suprise me that a computer bought there would lack the fundamental qualities of a good and stable tool; however that is not always the case.

3. a really great computer costs only 2grand. the 3shape yearly fees for all the modules is in excess of this. if 3shape were in the business of trying to make everyone able to use the software then you could negotiate their fees, but i don't know anyone who was able to talk 3shape into selling for less. the cost of this whole deal is about the only downside to working with 3shape.

Jmvisa

Jmvisa

Reaction score
I didn't get a 3shape because of that reason, I don't like the license fee thing and how unfair it works. If you are not good at computers, I wouldn't try to build one, the time you will spend researching and trying to fix problems could be well used in learning the new options coming with the the upgrade and getting around the inevitable headaches the new settings and software will bring into your daily production. Just my 5 cents.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
K2 is right: Get it cloned asap or risk the hd information. When they start to make unusual noise, the generally are on their way out. I use Acronis (an older version) to clone my drives on a rotating basis, with excellent results. Or have a local computer shop clone it.
If you are happy with dell, watch dellauction. If you buy one there, make sure particularly the ram is upgradable w/o spending more than a new computer.
If you like your choice in cad software, get one that will easily run it.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Don't forget who youre talking to here. Please tell me how to do this 'clone' thing and what it is.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
You need to clone the hard drive which is where the operating system, programs and data are stored. If you are not comfortable doing it, take it to someone who is. You really don't want to lose all your info. If you decide you want to do it yourself, PM me and I'll give you my phone #.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
ive got a dell xps i5 running 3shape and its great. nvidia video card.

user name

user name

Reaction score
My lack of understanding would be funny if it weren't just sad, but when folks like me have gotten started using 3Shape, are the computers actually from 3Shape or are they from the reseller? So there isn't a 'standard' computer that everyone starts with? What should I be looking for or expecting when I get a new one?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
64 bit
16megs of ram

high end graphics card.

I'm at your level user. I called my dongle holder and got their advice on the upgrade.

They should walk you through everything.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
lololol.

whoever sold you your equipment should service you. If you end up with crappy service, consider a service agreement with CAP

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
as a benchmark there are 3 things you need to understand about a good workstation computer.

1. the operating system
2. the RAM size and speed
3. the video card

1. Operating system needs to be a 64 bit variant, that means Windows 7 pro/ultimate/enterprise or any windows 8 system that is NOT "home"

2. ram speed may not be somethin you can easily lookup, as it is more detail than most people care to find out. basically the ram stores your data to be processed, and the speed of it determines how quickly it can be accessed and processed and rewritten. as you will NOT be using a system that is "Home" you may use any ram size greater than 8 Gb. 16 will be very adequate, and 1200 Mhz ram is about mid level for this kind of system. you really arent going to notice a speed difference above 1600 Mhz anyway.

3. the video card; again its the fine details that make this a great system. there are 3 aspects to pay attention to here. Core clock, onboard memory, and configuration.

the core clock can be a bit difficult to understand by looking at the spec sheet, but in general you want a core clock at least as fast as your CPU speed. the onboard memory is much like the ram, it has its own speed and size and in general anything around 3 Gb is mid level.

configuration is tricky because different manufacturers throw different things at you; nvidia cards will tell you how many CUDA cores it has, and Radeon cards will say how streamlined it is --- just ensure that whichever card you have, you pay attention to how the card connects to the power supply. in some cases the power supply needs to power the card via special cable; in many cases however this is not needed.

most 3 shape users begin with the dell they get from 3shape. its not a bad computer, its just baseline. when you buy from them they don't charge too hard for the computer and when you buy a scanner one comes with it anyway.

Top Bottom