• Welcome to Dental Lab Network

Compressor for MCX5

Discussion in 'Dental-CAM' started by Chad Gardner, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Chad Gardner

Chad Gardner New Member

I came across an Sirona MCX5 for a good price to ease back into C&B production and want to exclusively mill zirconium with it. I’m trying to keep my costs minimum. What compressor would anyone recommend to power the unit? Does it need to be a $4000 screw drive compressor? Any other way to go that won’t be a PITA? Thanks in advance.

2. mmbh

mmbh Member Full Member

No, you dont need to spend that much. If noise is a concern get a ultra quiet style. If not, we use a big 20 gallon tank dewalt, its very loud but chugs along. We have it in a separate room. It cost us like $600. Get an inline air dryer set up to. Needs to meet minimum cfm requirements for the mill.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. user name
      Question

user name Well-Known Member Donator Full Member

Dry air is the desired product coming into your mill. There are many different options to compress the air. Understand that when you compress air, you are also making it quite hot and are condensing all the humidity in your atmosphere. You need drains, preferably auto, either timed or cycled with the compressor like a Tsunami moisture minder auto drain. You will also benefit from an after cooler. Its like a radiator or a finned pipe that starts to cool the compressed air. Be mindful, if your air is hot, you need a special refrigerated air dryer if that's the route you go. Aim for a -30 to -40 dew point in your supply.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Chad Gardner

Chad Gardner New Member

Thank you both so much for your help. Heading to Home Depot!

5. Affinity
      Question

Affinity Well-Known Member Full Member

Look on craigslist, search dental or dental compressor. I picked up a used dental office compressor with 2 pumps and a dryer to replace my jun air that blew the capacitors.. I cant find replacements. It was $600 and works awesome, also 220v so less power consumption.

• Like Like x 1