Compressed air system

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I've been remodeling the lab over the last few weeks and I'm putting in a new compressor, air dryer and filters and re-plumbing everything. I was thinking I could do it with PEX but it isn't rated for air lines.
I went with this product from RapidAir. Seems like a simple install, I'm planning to build a manifold from black iron with shutoffs for each bench or piece of equipment and start the plastic pipe after the ball valve.
Anyone put in a system with this stuff?
http://www.rapidairproducts.com/page/maxline

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It should work no problem...I did it very cheapo w/ quarter inch pneumatic lines to most of the stations...where cfm or an eventual pressure drop is a non issue...

airhose.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
this is how i lined the walls and ceilings of my previous employ in 2009. its holding steady. no blowouts no bubbles, no boom.

just be absolutely sure your air is cfc free, which will dry the lines out and make them crack and break.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I've been remodeling the lab over the last few weeks and I'm putting in a new compressor, air dryer and filters and re-plumbing everything. I was thinking I could do it with PEX but it isn't rated for air lines.
I went with this product from RapidAir. Seems like a simple install, I'm planning to build a manifold from black iron with shutoffs for each bench or piece of equipment and start the plastic pipe after the ball valve.
should do the trick, used it at an old lab years ago...or something similar

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
this is how i lined the walls and ceilings of my previous employ in 2009. its holding steady. no blowouts no bubbles, no boom.

just be absolutely sure your air is cfc free, which will dry the lines out and make them crack and break.
CFC's CHL?

Brent Harvey

Brent Harvey

Reaction score
yes i have installed many systems with different versions of this piping. benefits of this type of piping is that you get virtually zero friction loss which in turn gives you less pressure drop, and its extremely easy to work with when installing.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I actually knew what they were, just wasn't sure how they'd get in the air, how you'd know if they did and what you do about it if they do?
From the refrigerated air dryer?

The refrigerated air dryer is a closed system, no freon should leak into the air lines... Compressor oil doesn't break down to CFC either...

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The refrigerated air dryer is a closed system, no freon should leak into the air lines... Compressor oil doesn't break down to CFC either...
So you're saying it's more hippie sh1t?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
if your compressor is teflon coated in the tank, teflon can break down into cfc's

if it is housed in a room that contains your gas for casting equipment, or you aerosol spray other junk. or if you use wierd compressor oil...

theres a bunch of ways CFCs can get into your air. even your dryer dessiccant - can produce cfc's. the in-line filter can give you cfc's.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
if your compressor is teflon coated in the tank, teflon can break down into cfc's

if it is housed in a room that contains your gas for casting equipment, or you aerosol spray other junk. or if you use wierd compressor oil...

theres a bunch of ways CFCs can get into your air. even your dryer dessiccant - can produce cfc's. the in-line filter can give you cfc's.

I can see some of those issues, but CFC's have been banned in aerosols for many, many years - at least in most of the industrialized world.

Also to add, most refrigerants no longer use CFC's either. I believe they use 134a aka. tetrafluoroethane. It is an HFC. And actually I think they are phasing that out in favor HFO's.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
indeed.

but there exists such a thing as buying used (older) equipment, and there also exists manufacturers who sell whole units ready-to-go that are guaranteed to be free of those harmful byproducts. they sell these things as hospital equipment, or medical grade. much like the labels our dental things get (just add a handful of zeros) the costs can be outrageous to buy from ths kind of source.

but buying old equipment is cheap, and ebay is a seller's paradise.

DLN has helped several of our members put together systems that work quite well at much more reasonable costs - we who know things want to help guard against these dangerous pitfalls so that the work can continue without ugly stoppages due to untimely explosions or needless destruction of the workplace.

Top Bottom