Composite Temporary Material for long span?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Good Morning

I usually use 'Telio Lab' as my temporary material. But, one of my clients asked me recently if there isn't a composite temporary material? He would like to modify, add or subtract, with composite, once the treatment progresses. I am aware, I can add composite to acrylic/pmma with an primer, but I am curious anyway...

Any input is welcomed. Thanks in advance,

M

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Hi Michael!

You can use a lab composite like Nexco. But saying that, the surface still needs to be primed if they want to add after it has been full cured.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Hey Patrick! Thanks for your reply. So, either way the receiving material needs to be conditioned, in order to receive new material. Is Nexco (or any other Lab composite, for that matter) indicated for longer span provisionals, with pontics? Isn't it too brittle?

Michael

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
HI Michael,

For long term temps (up to 1 year),I would fabricate out of Telio Lab or Telio CAD, and then veneer the facials of anteriors with Nexco for esthetics.

This give you the best of both worlds, strength and flexibility of the PMMA material, and the esthetics of the composite in the anterior. I would not do a bridge with composite without some form of substructure (PMMA, Metal, Zirconia) for strength.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
HI Michael,

For long term temps (up to 1 year),I would fabricate out of Telio Lab or Telio CAD, and then veneer the facials of anteriors with Nexco for esthetics.

This give you the best of both worlds, strength and flexibility of the PMMA material, and the esthetics of the composite in the anterior. I would not do a bridge with composite without some form of substructure (PMMA, Metal, Zirconia) for strength.

Thank you, Patrick! You confirmed what I had in mind, already.

Michael

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Patrick! You confirmed what I had in mind, already.

Michael
I have seen Telio.lab as a 3 unit anterior bridge. Cured under high temp/pressure in an IvoMat, Ivoclars now gone version of a Dreve. It was a 2-4 week temp between implant uncovering/abutment seating and for use while the definitive substructure was sent to lab in a pickup imp for porcelain.

For that time length we got away with it. But a pontic on anything other than a short term temp on a group function tooth? Not a great idea. Seen it, know of one felow with a 12 unit one he's been fixing and wearing for years as a removable bridge ... But it will fracture...

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I have seen Telio.lab as a 3 unit anterior bridge. Cured under high temp/pressure in an IvoMat, Ivoclars now gone version of a Dreve. It was a 2-4 week temp between implant uncovering/abutment seating and for use while the definitive substructure was sent to lab in a pickup imp for porcelain.

For that time length we got away with it. But a pontic on anything other than a short term temp on a group function tooth? Not a great idea. Seen it, know of one felow with a 12 unit one he's been fixing and wearing for years as a removable bridge ... But it will fracture...

Funny you brought this thread (;)) up, again. I actually just started to work on the case, the got me asking here in the first place...

I am sure Telio-lab holds up longer that just a couple weeks. But years, well, I don't want to get close to that guy...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Funny you brought this thread (;)) up, again. I actually just started to work on the case, the got me asking here in the first place...

I am sure Telio-lab holds up longer that just a couple weeks. But years, well, I don't want to get close to that guy...
I think it was a 7-9 bri, 8 pontic. Both abutments were implants and that's what I know for sure aside from anterior, but like the inimitable Mr. Coon said, it'll need new material exposed to add anything that won't just pop loose with a firm push. And it's not an oral cure for anything close to acceptable results.
Been a while... Another threat ( Ciao )might make me remember more later.

I do know a retired dds that built up a 3unit bridge out of A2 dual cure filling material... Never heard how it lasted.

Last edited: